Author's Chapter Notes:
x3tinkerbell07 was so great as to beta this chapter!

Chapter 18: Timely Help



“The folks you help won’t remember it and the folks you hurt won’t forget it.”
~ Bill Clayton

“Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.”
~ Sally Koch

Spike looked up and saw Oz standing there with a chair. Surprise showed on his face as Oz quickly explained, “I was walking by and heard the commotion and actually heard you roar. Believe it or not, I realized it and then heard Buffy’s cry so I came to investigate. Good thing I did because it didn’t look like that fight was going so well.”

Spike looked down and helped Buffy to stand up quickly catching her as she almost fell back down from dizziness. Oz and Spike both looked at her head and frowned. Oz suggested gently to Spike knowing the healing powers of vampire salvia, “You best close that up fast Spike before she loses anymore blood.

Spike looked at Buffy and whispered the question he had asked over two years ago, “Do you trust me?”

Buffy didn’t answer so he took that as a yes and gently parted her hair where the big cut was. Spike looked doubtful that he could close it without taking her to the hospital but figured he had to try so he used his tongue to clean the wound and then to try to seal it. After a few tries, it did seal much to Spike and Oz’s relief. Spike then picked up the slayer and asked Oz where he was staying.

He shrugged, “Just up the street a bit. What about you two?”

Spike replied, “Hotel in Vegas.”

Oz offered, “Need a ride?”

Spike admitted, “Normally I’d say no but Buffy isn’t up to walking right now.”

Buffy groaned actually as she had tried to get herself out of Spike’s hold and felt her ribs protest. Oz suggested to Spike seeing how much pain Buffy was in, “You can bring her up when we get to my place. I have tape and other equipment that you can use to fix her up a little better. She looks bad off and you have a cut about your eye that could use some cleaning as well.”

Buffy groaned, “I’m immortal damn it, how can I feel like I’m dying?”

Spike smirked stating in a tone reflecting the humor he felt in her statement, “It’s amazing what you can live through.”

Buffy shook her head in much too much pain to get into a fight about that comment although she was sorely tempted. She allowed Spike's assistance to exit the bar ignoring the stares she was getting. Oz saluted the bartender as the three of them left the bar. Within seconds, they were in the car rushing towards Oz's apartment.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



A few minutes later, Buffy groaned as Spike wrapped the tape around her stomach trying to move the ribs back into place. She had broken at least 2 ribs, probably bruised the rest and had a horrible bruise that covered her midsection. She had the cut on her head, one over her ear and horrible bruises covering her back.

Upon inspection of her, Spike had also found a rather nasty looking cut on her thigh that he had to clean and then try to seal because Buffy refused to go to the hospital looking like this. She didn’t want to have herself committed or people thinking Spike beat her up. Spike looked over at his hurting slayer and sighed.

No more violence tonight and probably not even sex. She would need time to heal for sure. At least both of them were full and content in that manner. Oz knocked on the door to his bedroom asking, “She decent? Can I come in? I have some Advil that might help with the pain and swelling.”

Spike replied, “Sure she’s decent.”

Oz handed Buffy the pills, which she took without even needing water. Spike looked at Oz saying softly, “Thanks wolf boy. You probably saved Buffy’s and my life or at least Buffy’s. She was in real bad shape. We owe you.”

Oz shrugged not liking to take the credit, “All in a day’s work. You both were always good to me. Buffy and you never even judged me when I was found to be a werewolf. I appreciate that. I won’t ever forget that so if you need help while you’re in town just give me a holler.”

Spike repeated, “Thanks man.”

Oz nodded and shook his proffered hand. Spike went to lift up Buffy as she moaned in pain and Oz offered, “I’ll take you to your hotel.”

Spike tucked Buffy nicely into the back seat letting her spread out and took the front seat next to Oz. Spike wanted to talk to the wolf about Willow.

Spike turned towards Oz as they turned on the music to help Buffy to relax and decided to suggest something to help Oz out. He had helped him after all and saved his girl, “So mate, want me to tell Willow of this adventure? I can put in a good word for you if you would like.”

Oz smiled and admitted, “I’d like that. Thanks.”

Spike decided to continue the conversation unable to resist, “So if Willow was single, would you try things again with her? From what I gather she’s really not all that happy.”

Oz shrugged, “I’d try things for sure. I’m different now. I went to see a wolf sanctuary a few years ago when I left Willow the first time. I was taught how to control my inner wolf. Jealousy still hits me hard but other than that, I’m pretty safe. Willow has always been my weak point though so…well we would have to see how it went I guess. But she’s dating someone so I won’t actively pursue her unless she returns the feelings.”

Spike nodded understanding totally, “I wish you luck mate and I’ll definitely put in a good word for you. I really do want to thank you for tonight.”

Oz smiled, “What are friends for?”

Spike nodded and got out of the car having reached their hotel. He carefully lifted the now sleeping slayer and saluted Oz to take Buffy up to their room.