Author's Chapter Notes:
x3tinkerbell07 betaed this chapter for me. Yay

Chapter 35: The Coming of Dawn



"Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door."
~ Emily Dickerson


Spike woke up with Buffy snuggled in his arms and he realized as he watched the light play against the diamond ring on her finger that this is what his forever would be like. Every day he would be able to wake up with his Buffy and hold her tight. He sighed contently as he run his fingers through her hair waiting for her to wake up.

She slept on and he decided it was still early yet, only 5 am and he could sneak out, hit the garden shop, which they never got to yesterday and surprise her with flowers and vegetables. He slipped on his pants and a shirt thinking he’d shower with her when he got back as he slid on a pair of socks and his boots. He finally grabbed Buffy’s new duster figuring this was as good as time as any to break it in for her.

He pulled the cigarettes and his lighter out from his duster’s pocket and his wallet and went out to his new Desoto. Well actually it was old, a 1956 model but it had his perfect convertible top, which can be used now, tinted glass, leather seats and it was black exterior and red interior. Spike had paid cash for it and drove it off the lot as happy as can be. Buffy grinned at the fact that seats weren’t separated so she could snuggle up against him enjoying the feeling of not being confined. It was really a beautiful car that even Buffy could appreciate. He slid into the front and eagerly went to the garden that he knew opened up early to get his collection of plants.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike drove back home with his small back seat and trunk filled to the brim with plants. He had carrot, tomato, peppers, potatoes, garlic, squash, peas, corn and lettuce plants. He had broken down against the advice of the gardener and gotten a strawberry and raspberry bush. He figured he could put it along the side of the porch since nothing else appeared to fit there.

He had also gotten some flowers for the flower garden. He was at first going to call Buffy to wake her up but figured this would be better. He needed to get her a new phone here in Vegas. Well actually they both needed a phone. Maybe today he would talk Buffy into going out cell phone shopping before the bit arrives. He sighed wondering how the visit with Dawn would go. They were so close after Buffy died but then he almost raped her and the little bit would hardly stand to look at him much less talk to him anymore.

He sighed still feeling the pain and guilt from that. Would the guilt ever go away? He doubted it but was determined not to talk of it. He unloaded his 5 bags of dirt, a till, a shovel and a water can and hose. He also unloaded a sprinkler system that he would ask Xander to help him set up when he returned. It’s not that he couldn’t do it alone but he wanted to make an effort to spend time with Buffy’s friends in hopes to bond with them.

He really wanted as less stress on Buffy as possible. She was carrying their baby after all and deserved some happiness and peace. He bought irises, asters, mountain bells, impatiens, pansies, petunias, and even daisies. He also bought two little bags of butterfly seeds along with a butterfly bush thinking Buffy might like to sit and watch butterflies.

He let out a sigh looking at all the plants that were placed around but first he wanted to surprise Buffy with the dozen of roses he had gotten her. He carried them up the stairs with her and peeked in to see Buffy still sleeping. Since it was only 6:30, he had kind of expected her to still be sleeping. He crawled into the bed and kissed her placing the dozen of roses on her stomach. He snuggled up against her and kissed her again and she moaned and opened her eyes. She smiled and whispered, “Spike.”

The name came out in a kind of sigh so he handed her the dozen of roses, “Morning beautiful. I got flowers and plants that we can spend our day planting and I brought breakfast but it’s downstairs on the table waiting for you. Come on sleeping beauty, let’s go feed you.”

She let him help her up and then yawned really big, stretching before sniffing her flowers. She then wandered down the stairs with Spike on her heels. She gasped at the table and rushed over, “Strawberry waffles with tons of whipped cream for us both!”

Then she glanced into the backyard and stood looking out at it as her face changed from a look of shock to an evil grin, “Looks like you have lots of work to do.”

Spike laughed, “You need exercise pet, it will be a great work out for both of us.”

Buffy shook her head but knew deep down inside he was right and was flattered he thought of it as a joint project, “Time to dig in then.”


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



They spent hours working in the garden. Buffy worked on digging in the flower garden trying to arrange the smallest flowers in the front and the larger flowers behind it. The ground smelled good and fresh and she actually found herself enjoying it. When she would take a break, she would watch Spike as he dug and planted his vegetables.

She was amazed watching the way his muscles moved when he worked. His skin was lightly tanned but he didn’t sweat but still his skin glistened in the sunlight. Spike would sometimes catch her watching him and smirk seeing the desire in her eyes but she no longer cared if he knew she wanted him. After so many years of hiding from her friends, she wanted the world to know that she was with the man she loved.

She thought about mating again. It was a way to let the vampire world know whom she belonged to and that Spike belonged to her as well. She wondered how much was known about mating. Was Spike mated to Drusilla? She was still alive somewhere and if so she didn’t think he could mate with her until Drusilla was dust.

She let out a deep breath as she turned back to her flower garden. She was just about finished actually. She just had the two strawberry bushes to find a home for. She took Spike’s advice and planted them near the porch and sat down on the stairs watching Spike plant his last green plant of whatever kind of vegetable it was.

She didn’t know much about gardening but it appeared at some time in Spike’s existence, he had learned a thing or two. She watched as Spike came and without a sound sat next to her. She leaned towards him and he wrapped his arm around her and they both sat in the shadows watching the sun go down. Buffy whispered, “Think we will ever grow tired of this?”

Spike shrugged, “I know I won’t pet. How can you get tired of living the thing you dreamed of the most?”

His hand came to rest on her stomach and he continued, “I have a beautiful house, a child on the way, a garden to work in, lots of money and the most beautiful girl in the whole world that loves me as much as I love her. How could I possibly be unhappy or tired of this?”

Buffy smiled happily as she whispered letting out a gentle breath, “You are an amazing man Spike.”

Spike stated, “I’m not a man Buffy. I’m just a vampire who lost his way.”

Buffy thought on that statement for a moment before replying, “Well then I’m glad I found you.”

The two of them sat side by side quietly enjoying their hard work until it was way past dust.

Buffy finally let out a slight yawn before turning to Spike, “I’m tired, what’s for dinner?”

Spike laughed, “The crock pot has chicken and broccoli in it already cooking up. I need a watch. Think that makes a vampire a ponce when he needs a watch?”

Buffy giggled and didn’t say a word. Spike growled, “No giggling at the big bad vampire. You’d better run little girl. I’m coming to get you and your giggling self.”

Buffy jumped up and ran into the house laughing. She didn’t notice Dawn standing in the doorway with a young man behind her until she bumped into her. Dawn shouted, “Hey, I’m standing here!”

Spike growled playfully totally vamped out, “I’m going to find you little girl, run!”

He then rounded the corner and started to grab for Buffy until he noticed her staring. He followed her glance and stopped not able to say anything. He unvamped out as the two visitors stood staring as he leaned against the wall quietly.