Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was beated by x3tinkerbell07. Yay!

Chapter 44: Inter-Dimension Travel



“If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success.”
~ John D. Rockefeller


Dawn and Connor entered the room together. They were holding hands, which made Buffy smile for a second but then she snapped out of it remembering what she was about to ask Dawn to do. Illyria looked at Buffy and stated much to Buffy’s annoyance, “You are afraid and nervous. Why do humans have such silly emotions? This whole world is about feelings. You let them control your actions so much it cripples you and weakens you.”

Spike turned to Illyria, demanding, “Can it for a minute Blue God. Buffy needs the floor to talk to the half pint.”

Dawn turned towards Buffy and Buffy spoke, “Dawnie, I’m really sorry but we need your help. Illyria is in trouble and it’s going to end the world if we don’t help her. We need you and Illyria to get together and open the portal to the last dimension she was in so that Willow, me, you, Spike, Connor if he wants, and Illyria can go there and cast a spell closing the last portal completely and trap them forever in there. If they continue to open more portals it will suck us into the other dimension.”

Spike spoke up, “It’s supposedly filled with plants.”

Illyria muttered, “Inferiors. It’s a plant dimension and shouldn’t harm special creatures such as us. I’d like to do some violence soon. I feel trapped in this house.”

Spike knew to appease Illyria and humor her would be in his best interest. She would go off on her own if no one catered to her needs, “If you can be patient Blue then we will get you out of here and then you can do all the bloody violence by night to help Buffy and I that you would like against demons and vampires.”

Illyria stayed quiet and Dawn looked at Buffy, “I’ll help. Where do I have to focus on?”

Haven spoke up, “First Dawn we need you to enter a circle. We need to cast a spell on you that protects your blood. That way if you get injured, your blood will just hit the ground and not be useable by anyone other than you. Is that acceptable?”

Dawn nodded and accepted Haven’s hand. Haven turned to Willow and requested, “Come with us. We will return in a few minutes.”

With a large flash of light, Dawn and the Coven along with Willow disappeared. Buffy sighed, “I guess I have to let Dawn do this. I’m scared and worried. Say something happens to her. It’s my job to protect her. Are you sure there is nothing in this world to harm us?”

Anya spoke up, “I’ve been to Skiila. It is full of plants. I’ve only passed through though but it’s beautiful. I’m not sure Willow will be accepted. She’s not immortal like you four.”

Buffy blinked, “Four? Only Spike and I are immortal.”

Anya shook her head, “I really think Connor and Dawn are as well but I guess I could be mistaken.”

Illyria stayed quiet and went to stand behind Xander. Xander stared at her obviously feeling uncomfortable with her being so close to him. Buffy continued to talk ignoring Illyria’s fascination with Xander, “I guess we have to do this. Illyria when Dawn gets back I need you to tell her what she needs to concentrate on to get us there safely. We need to know what kind of supplies Willow will need and I don’t know what weapons we will need.”

Illyria broke Buffy’s concentration as she stated, “This boy is nervous. He does not wish to go.”

Xander shrugged as he spoke up loudly trying to defend his feelings, “Can you blame me? I’m not superpowery and I do not wish to be trapped in another dimension. Sorry guys.”

Buffy nodded full of understanding, “We are fine with Spike and I to protect Dawn and Connor. Illyria, Spike said she was strong and fast so I’m sure she can handle herself. Willow hopefully can handle herself as well. We should be fine. This hopefully isn’t as hard as it sounds.”

Xander nodded and Anya sat on his lap actually thankful as well with not having to go. Spike sat down with Buffy and held her close trying to calm her fears that were pouring off her. Spike sent images of them at the dinner table, laughing and having fun as a way to make Buffy relax knowing they will be safe soon. Buffy just snuggled up to Spike preparing to make the best of this.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Thirty means later, Oz had gone to practice leaving behind the rest of the gang. Spike and Connor were carrying a sword. Buffy was carrying an axe. Dawn was wielding a dagger and Illyria and Willow were weaponless but Willow was bringing a chest of spell materials as well as spell books. Illyria had told Dawn about the plant life there and Dawn was preparing to open the portal.

Everyone in the room was nervous and it was making Illyria pace. She didn’t like spending so much time with people whose emotions were driving her crazy but she needed their help and chose to keep quiet after repeating that everyone was nervous twice.

Dawn took a deep breath and pricked her finger and chanted watching as the portal opened. Dawn stepped back and Illyria nodded signaling that this was indeed the right location so they all stepped inside. Dawn dropped another drop of blood closing the portal and Illyria stared at Dawn and stated again hoping to change the key’s mind, “You are a God stuck in a human shell as well. You don’t mind it as I do. You almost seem happy to be human and with mere mortals. You don’t belong with them.”

Dawn shrugged not bothered by Illyria as much as the others were, “I am happy and you could be too if you only tried.”

Illyria didn’t look convinced as she pointed towards the right, “This way.”

Spike looked around and was amazed at the beauty of this place. There were plants of every kind, color and size. He found it strange that a dimension could exist without any animals or humans in it. He repeated to Illyria, “There is nothing other than plans here correct?”

Illyria nodded looking annoyed that he would ask her again. She continued to walk fairly fast and the others had to really walk fast and sometimes jog to keep up. Buffy kept feeling as though someone was watching her but figured she was just being paranoid. She wasn’t big on this idea of being in another dimension. Spike took her hand to calm her feeling her nerves going crazy. He whispered, “When we finish this, I’m going to take you home and we can beat up a ton of vampires and then make love until the following morning and then sleep the day away.”

Buffy smiled at him and gave him a kiss. Illyria turned around glaring at the duo, “Must you two be so filled with love in the time of war?”

Buffy laughed obviously very amused by Illyria’s reaction, “This isn’t war. There is nothing around us. We are in a peaceful dimension with only the hunters as enemies, which Willow should be able to take care. This is nothing.”

Illyria did not look so convinced, “Stay behind me and don’t touch anything.”

Connor saw a beautiful white flower and picked it and handed it a Dawn. Just then a branch fell from the sky and almost hit Connor who quickly jumped out of the way in shock.

Illyria turned around and stated loudly and angrily, “You woke it.”

Buffy glanced up at the sky as she asked to whoever would answer, “What was that?”

Illyria repeated herself, “You woke the plants. They are not happy. We should run.”

Just then branches and limbs were being thrown at them from all directions and everyone in the group started to run. Willow started casting protection shields but they only would last until something actually hit them and it was draining her energy so she gave up and just ran faster. Illyria ran into the cave and everyone followed. Illyria glared at Connor and stated loudly, “You fool! You just made us enemies. Now we will have to avoid the white plants to be safe.”

Spike pondered that for a moment before asking, “Can they talk to each other?”

Illyria spoke in her monotone voice again looking at Spike as though he were an ant and very stupid, “Of course they can but the only ones who will listen are the white ones. We need to go this way.”