Chapter 2

"Jackass!" She huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. Letting the guitar case hit the front of her legs as she walked. "Now I have to find a new spot... Jackass."

*But did you see his eyes? Damn, they like, see right through you... Even though they are evil... Evil eyes. And his cheekbones! So sexy... But evilly sexy...* She shook her head to shake his image away. "Stop thinking about the beautiful stranger. Stop thinking about beautiful Spike.* She was aimlessly walking around, thinking about him, when she came across another park. It was small, but she had never noticed it before. Sitting on one of the swings she pulled out her notebook and started to write.

________________________

"Hey, Anne. You ready to switch off for the night?" He asked smiling, as he walked through the door. "The bed is all made up for you. But I have a question... You think I could have Wednesday off? There’s something I need to take care of."

"Hey to you to..." She said and smiled. "Wow, wait a minute. Did you just ask for time off?" She asked, looking at him like he had two heads.

"Uhh, yeah. Will that be a bother? Because if you want me to..."

"Spike. Go, have the day off. I just found it weird because you never ask for time off. I was beginning to think that you were just going to live here. It's about time you took some time for yourself. Take your girl out, you deserve it." She said with a beaming smile.

"Oh... Right... Harmony" He said with a cringe.

"Did you have another girl in mind? Of course I meant Harmony."

"Yeah, I will take her out. Thanks. Anything you want done today that I can do?"

"Uh, sure. I just got some new clothes. They’ are all in the basement. I already washed them all, so all you have to do is fold them, sort them, and arrange them. Thanks Spike." She smiled at him then went to go cook some lunch.

He went down the stairs that lead to the basement. He pulled the chain to the light bulb, looked at the heaps of clothes on the table and let out a sigh. *A lot of clothes there, mate. Better get to work.*He thought to himself then started on his task.

He didn't quite know why he asked for time off so soon, but all he knew was that it was going to take a bit of persuading to get Elizabeth to agree to let him help her out. He had a couple of ideas, but nothing really stuck out in his mind. He didn't know exactly how he would react either, if he were in her shoes. New person, hell bent on helping him out. It would creep him out a little too. But he was hoping she would take a little leap of faith. It didn't look like she had much more to loose. He felt like a git thinking that way about her, but what else could he think? He didn't know her story.

For all he knew she could have been thrown out. A run away. A foster child who was tired of being thrown from place to place. She didn’t look older than 18. He seen the pain that was held in her eyes. The way she looked like she was carrying the weight of a million different problems, but still going through her day the best she could. He enjoyed just listening to her sing as well. The song held such emotion that it moved something inside her. She needed to know that there was someone out there that could, would, and wanted to care about her. He already did care about her, and all he had to do was look in her eyes and he knew. He knew that he wasn't going to walk away from this the same.

He had finished folding and sorting the clothes on the tables. Clothes for boys, clothes for girls. He started to sort through the girls clothes when a thought struck him. Digging through the stacks, not caring if he had to refold it all, he looked for the warmest things he could. Guessing her size, he took out two hoodie sweaters, two long sleeve shirts, one short sleeved, a pair of jogging pants, and a pair of jeans. He threw it all into a grocery bag and set it aside. *This just might work.*

________________________

She figured it was well passed 5 in the afternoon so she stood up and headed to her alley. She didn’t like to be out past dark in this city. She was still getting used to it. She didn’t feel comfortable, considering she went from a small suburban town where everyone knew your name, to a big city that was always on the move and where no one paid attention to anyone other than their self.

She made very little money that day, due to her oddly strong desire to write another song, but she had enough for something to snack on. She went into a corner store and went to the back to get a bottle of water.

"Why don't you get some pop, pet? Looked like you wanted some." She stiffened, then groaned. Why must he torment her further?

"Can't afford it, besides water lasts longer." She replied back and started down the aisle towards the canned foods.

"Ah, I see. Well I could pay for it. If you want." Spike said and got three cans of Pepsi out then quickly caught up to her.

"No, thanks. I got it." She said looking at the canned food. Ravioli or beef stew?

"Okay, I understand. If there was one meal you could have right now what would it be?" He asked and stood beside her.

She turned to face him. "Why do you have to torment me? You’re so upset that I rejected your offer to buy me a drink, so you try and rub it in my face that I can't have a nice warm dinner? Be still my heart!" She gasped and raised her hand to her chest.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it."

"Well still. I don't like to think about things I can’t have." She said and picked up both ravioli and beef stew. Pop off tops of course.

"Well, you could. If you stayed over at my house for the night. You could have a shower, wash your clothes, some television entertainment, a dinner of your choice in your belly, and best of all, a nice warm bed with clean sheets and blankets to sleep in. Not to mention the fluffy pillows." He smiled. When he noticed the fear in her eyes he quickly added. "With me on the couch, of course. In all my perfect gentlemanly-ness."

"I don't think that’s such a good idea." She said quickly then sprinted to the cash register.

"And Why not?" He asked and stepped to the other register. "Marlboro reds please." He told the clerk and put the Pepsi cans on the counter.

"Because. I have nothing to give you in return." She said matter-of-factly.

"Don't want nothing in return, pet. Just want to help you out a little." He flashed her an award winning smile and paid off his total.

She swore her knees were going to give out when he smiled at her that way. She simply blushed, grabbed her bags, and rushed out of the store. Not looking back to see if he was following her, she ran to her alleyway. She slid open the cover and ducked inside, flopping down onto her bed. "Why won't he just leave me alone?" She asked herself and sat up.

She opened the bottle of water and took a big gulp. She flicked her lighter and lit the candles she had to brighten the place up a bit. Reaching into her backpack in the corner of the small shack, she pulled out a spoon and some left over crackers from the other day. She sat cross legged on her bed and popped off the lid of the beef stew. "Sweet meaty goodness." She sighed then spooned some into her mouth. She hated eating it cold, but it was all she could do until she could afford one of those camp stoves she seen other homeless people have.

She was half way done her can of stew when she heard a knock on the make-shift door. With a puzzled face she remained silent and hoped the person outside couldn't see the light from the candles from outside. She heard the knock again and she started to shake. *Oh god. Oh god. What if they want to kill me? I'm going to die. Please don't let me get hurt. Oh god.* She squeezed her eyes shut and clutched her knees to her chest.

"Elizabeth, luv. I know you’re in there. Let me in please?"

She instantly stopped shaking and rolled her eyes. Part relieved and part pissed off, she got up and slid the door open and glared at him. "You scared the shit out of me you... you jerk!" She said and put her hands on her hips.

He saw the anger in her eyes and tried to hide his amusement. "Sorry, pet. I followed you back here. I figured you wanted some time to yourself, so i I went back to my car to get something for you." He said and held out a grocery bag to her.

"What is it?" She said sheepishly.

"Take it and find out." He smiled and pushed the bag at her a little further.

"What if I don't want to?"

"It's not going to bite. It's nothing bad. I told you I worked at a homeless shelter for teens. I saw these and thought of you, so I got them for you. Go on, take it."

"Will it shut you up?"

"For 5 minutes, at least."

She sighed and took the bag. She went to sit down again and he ducked in to follow her. She opened the bag and looked inside. Seeing new clothes she squealed and tore the bag open to get to them. She inspected each article of clothing as if it was going to disappear. After her inspection she laid them all out and broke out into a big smile. She really didn't care for what they looked like; she just finally had something different to put on! She looked up at Spike and lunged at him for a hug. "Thank you! You couldn't even begin to imagine how thankful I am, or how much this means to me!" She squeezed him tighter, loving how it felt to be in his strong arms.

She stayed hugging him for a little longer when reality hit her. She snapped her eyes open and gasped, quickly letting go of him. "Sorry, don't know what came over me."

"I would think its happiness, judging by your smile. And it’s no bother, pet. I think that's the first real smile I’ve seen on your beautiful face." He smiled and let his hand tenderly put a stand of her hair behind her ear.

"Are you kidding me? I look horrible, not to mention the way I must smell. You can't possibly mean that." She said suddenly feeling self conscious. She backed up more.

"I have no reason to lie to you. I wouldn't lie to you. You are beautiful, pet." He smiled.

"Thanks..." She said softly while looking at the floor.

"Now, want to do me a favor?" She slapped his hands together.

"Depends on what it is." She said looking up at him a little scared of what he was going to say.

"Well, a way to show that your thankful for my gift... You could come spend the night at my apartment. I'm not trying to get you to do anything you don't want. I just want to see that you are safe. Please, it would make me feel better."

"Why would a homeless teen that could rob you blind in the middle of the night while you sleep, staying at your home make you feel better?"

"I think I can trust you. If you wanted to rob me, I wouldn't of had to ask you this many times. You would have been on board the first time. It would make me feel better knowing you were safe. I care about you."

"It could be putting up a front. Lulling you into a false sense of security... Wait a sec', you care about me?" She looked at him, trying to see the truth in his eyes.

"I don't think it is. Yes I do care about you. You shouldn't be out here alone. Plus winter is coming up soon, it's getting colder at night. Just say yes already. Please?" He said and took a step closer to her, pouting heavily.

She looked at his bottom lip, desperately wanting to nibble on it. She couldn't say no to that face. She looked into his eyes and found kindness, trust, and a hint of amusement from their previous banter. She sighed, pretending to be agreeing because he wanted her to, not because she wanted to. "Fine. Just let me pack up some of my stuff. I don't want anything going missing."

"Alright, you do that. I'm going to go get my car. I'll meet you at the entrance of the alley."

She nodded at him and he left. When she was sure he was gone, she smiled and did a little dance. *Shower, bed and warm food... HERE I COME! Added bonus... Hot guy who cares about me and thinks I'm beautiful.* Then her smile faded. *This is too good to be true. When is the next shoe going to drop?* She sighed then started to pack up her guitar, food, and clothes. All of the things that meant the most to her always stayed in a secret pocket inside her guitar case. Everything that meant the most to her she put in there. Pictures, Angel's gold chain, her Claudagh ring and any extra money. She couldn’t loose them, so she carried them with her at all times. When she was all done, she blew out her candles and went out to meet Spike.

Chapter 3

"So, you never answered my question earlier." Spike said as he pulled into a grocery store.

"What question?"

"If you could have any dinner made for you, what would to have?"

"Oh, uhm." She started to fidget. She hated it when he put her on the spot like this. "I don’t know. I can’t really say I miss my parents home cooked meals, considering they always had a hired cook in the kitchen. So, I guess..." She shrugged and looked at him.

"Oh, come on! There has to be something you're craving, luv."

"Well, a steak. A nice juicy steak."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Anything on the side?"

"Potato salad?" She said with a shrug. *Why are you pestering me?* she added silently.

"That it?"

"Will you stop with the questions?"

"Nope."

"Your infuriating. Are you aware of that?"

"Very." He said with a smirk. "What else do you want?"

"I don't know!" She yelled and sunk lower into her chair. "You’re making me very uncomfortable right now."

"Alright." He held his hands up. "Sorry. Steaks, potato salad and how about ceaser salad?"

"That's fine with me."

"Want to come in with me?"

She rolled her eyes and got out of the car. They made the walk to the grocery store in silence. When she got inside, he took her hand and let her to the produce section. He picked up the items for the ceaser salad. They walked to the meat section and he took two steaks out and then turned toward her. "I uh... I don’t really know how to make potato salad. Do you mind if it comes pre-made?" He asked sheepishly.

She shook her head and he sighed in relief. "Good. I was afraid you might want it homemade." He sad and picked up a tub of the pre-made stuff.

"You okay to carry all of that? I can carry some if you want." She said and held out her hand to take something.

"Nope, you’re going to need your hands in a moment." He said a nudged her with his elbow. "Follow me."

She went silently. He led her to the toiletry aisle and looked at the long rows of shampoos and conditioners. "I don’t know what you use, pet. You’re going to have to pick it all out."

She looked at him in shock. "You have got to be kidding me!" She said and looked at him. He shook his head no so she continued. "I can just use whatever you have at your house. I don’t mind. Clean is clean to me."

"I have all guy smelling stuff, and I don’t use conditioner. So pick out what you need and let’s go." He just wanted to get her to his house so he could take care of her for the night.

"Spike, you don't have to do this." She said and looked down at the floor.

"No. I don’t have to. But I want to. Please, just do it. For me?"

She looked up to him and seen the pleading look on his face. She didn't understand why he was doing all of this for her. She supposed she never would understand. So instead of thinking about it she reached out and took down some herbal essence shampoo and conditioner and held them up to his face. "Good enough?"

"Not yet. Body gel, razors, deodorant, and a toothbrush." He simply smiled when she was about to fight back. "No use arguin’, luv. You are going to get it no matter what you say. Just do it please."

She huffed and grabbed all he told her to grab. "If you tell me to get one more thing, I'm going to throw this stuff on the ground and get my stuff and leave."

He simply nodded and walked ahead of her to go pay for the stuff in their hands.

________________________

Spike was in the kitchen cooking while she took her shower. He liked her. A lot. He didn’t know what it was about her but it seemed to call to him. Her hazel eyes and the way they showed her emotion. The way her lips look so plump and soft. Her slender neck, her tiny hands that felt so soft in his in the grocery store. Everything he saw was perfection. He wanted to kiss her breathless. He wanted to hold her. Wake up beside her. He wanted everything that girl could give and give it all back twice as much. He wanted everything.

It terrified him.

He knew that if he kept her around long enough, she would consume him. Pick him up in her fiery passion and burn him until there was nothing left. It scared him that he felt this way, and yet he wanted it with every fiber of his being.

________________________

She made sure every surface of her skin was clean. She scrubbed until every inch of her felt tingly and fresh. She lathered, rinsed and repeated twice. She saved her legs and under her arms. She used up every ounce of hot water doing it. All the while thinking of the incredibly hot man on the other side of the apartment.

She would have to be blind not to see it. Spike was pure sex on legs and there was nothing she could do to stop her lust. He was incredibly annoying, devilishly charming, and very tender when he wanted to be. He could pull each persona off at the drop of a hat. His eyes twinkled with amusement. His cheekbones were chiseled to perfection. His lips just ready to be kissed. He carried himself with self confidence and pride. That man was not afraid to be himself.

Completely opposite from her. Where he was strong and self confident, she was weak and shy. Where he was beauty and perfection, she was mediocre. Where he let his personality come through with everything that he did, she held herself back and came through only with her music. She didn’t deserve to even think about being with him.

Besides, she was looking for Angel, not a random stranger with undeniable allure. She would never admit it, but she needed Spike now. She needed Angel forever. She needed Spike for his shower, food and guidance. She needed Angel for his friendship, his love, and his heart. She couldn't turn her back on that for one night of bliss.

She stepped out and took the towel that Spike gave her off the counter. Instead of wrapping it around her, she brought it to her nose and sniffed. It smelled like him. She sighed *I wouldn’t stand a chance anyway.* she thought to herself as she dried herself off.

She got dressed into the white short sleeved shirt and the black jogging pants, forgoing the bra and underwear so Spike could wash them for her. She brushed her hair with the brush Spike had put out for her and smeared on the deodorant under her arms. She looked into the mirror and hardly recognized herself. She looked older, like she had to grow up way to fast. She had bags under her eyes and her eyebrows were kind of bushy from lack of tweezing. *Nothing you can do about it. It's not like Spike has a spare set of tweezers laying around.*

Deeming herself presentable, she balled up her dirty clothes and left the bathroom to find Spike.