Author's Chapter Notes:
Hugs and Kisses to my beta, Jess, who helped me alot!
Walking though the graveyard at night, the Slayer felt insecure about what a certain blonde Vampire had said a few hours earlier. 'Every Slayer has a death wish'; his words ran though her mind, over and over again. She was at a loss. Riley was gone, and it was clear he blamed her, blamed it on her attraction to vampires. Worse, Buffy started to understand what her ex meant - she felt alive when near her enemy, even when with Spike. The Slayer felt a connection, a link between herself and the undead.

The Slayer had died once before but only for a few seconds, and while the link could have started from when the Master bit her, wouldn't she have picked up on it before? Buffy knew that there was only one person who could help with her questions.

****

“A... connection, you say?” Giles asked as he cleaned his glasses. The Slayer and Watcher were sitting around the table in the Magic Box while the gang took care of the customers.

“Yeah, it’s creepy.”

“Well that is very odd; I don't think I’ve heard of any Slayer having connections to her prey”

“Is it bad?” Buffy worried.

“I don't know, but I’ll research it straight away” Giles reassured her, as they noticed a blonde man walk from the basement door.

“Mornin' all” Spike nodded to the gang. He scanned the room before his eyes stopped on Buffy. The vampire's whole body buzzed as he took in her beauty. Spike never knew why, but ever since they first met a few years back, he had felt like he had known her forever. Spike had wanted her from the beginning; the vamp sensed a familiar presence about her, and every day it only got stronger.

“Spike, do you have a moment?” The Watcher called.

“What's up Rupert?”

“Do you know if there are any connections between a Slayer and vampires?”

“Well yeah! Slayers have some of our abilities; they have our strength and speed...”

“Connection, as in friendly connection?” Buffy interrupted.

“How the heck am I meant to know?”

“Hmm, let me think...er, BECAUSE YOU’RE A VAMPIRE?” The Slayer pointed out sarcastically.

“Shh! We have customers!” Giles pointed out. The Slayer bowed her head in shame as Spike walked away. “I will confer with the Council about this.” Her head shot up to her Watcher.

“No! I don't want anything to do with them!” Buffy growled.

“They may have some information on this...plus it might be more serious than we realise.”

“But I don't like them!”

“Nor do I Buffy, but it maybe our only option.” They paused for a moment, and then she huffed and crossed her arms.

“Fine. Call them.” The Slayer moaned.

“Thank you.” Giles didn't waste any time and walked over to the phone.

****

A few days went by and Buffy waited. The Council said they would ring when they had any information. She waited at the Magic Box, next to the phone. The bell above the door rang and two men dragged in a thin rectangular package. Anya walked up to one of the men who passed her a clipboard; she signed the paper and gave the clipboard back to the man. After they both left, the gang gathered round.

“What is it?” Willow asked Anya, as the ex-demon unwrapped it.

“It’s a seeing mirror” she replied as they looked at their reflections.

“What does it do?” Tara asked quietly.

“All sorts of things. This mirror can show memories, and can even show the different sides of someone's personality. Of course, you’ll have to ask it to first.”

“Neat! Can we try it out?” Xander squealed in excitement.

“Only if you want your private lives to be revealed!” Giles growled as Anya elbowed him.

“Thought I told you, the mirror is not evil!”

“Evil?” Buffy asked.

“Yes!” “No!” Giles and Anya disagreed in unison.

“People have lost their minds because of this...thing!”

“No, they just couldn't handle the truth!” The shopkeeper and his assistant yelled at each other.

“Hey! Everybody keep their cool. It’s just a mirror” Xander said with both hands up. The shop floor went quiet and they all looked at the mirror.

“Why have people gone mad over a mirror?” Willow asked.

“As Anya stated earlier, the mirror can reveal sides of a personality, sides that nobody thought they had. It can show some terrible things that people could never imagine doing” Giles replied, looking pointedly at Anya.

“But it can also reveal happy forgotten memories, and that's a good thing!” She stuck out her tongue to her boss.

“So it’s good and bad” Tara stated.

“Well...yes” the Watcher admitted in defeat.

“Ha! Told you!” Anya cheered. Then suddenly the bell above the door rang.

“Sorry, we’re closed” the owner shouted behind him.

“Hello to you too, Mr. Giles” a familiar voice replied. The gang turned, and was shocked by the group that stood there. A bunch of men and women in their early fifties, dressed in suits, stood by the door. Buffy's anger rose as she recognised the leader. It was Quentin Travers, head of the Watcher’s Council.

~*~*~

“What are you doing here?” Buffy growled at the large group of Watchers, as they sat around the table, drinking their tea and making notes. The gang was meanwhile sitting in front of the counter.

“Now Miss Summers, we heard you were having some difficulty with your duty” Quentin explained.

“I can handle my duty just fine, thank you!”

“Yes, we can see, but we have had information that you had some questions which needed answering”

“Couldn't you call, or is this an excuse to check up on me?”

“Well you caught me red handed, Miss Summers” Quentin said, with a smirk on his face. At that moment the front door opened and slammed shut, as Spike walked quickly over to the Slayer. He wasn't very happy.

“Forty-five minutes I waited! And you didn't show! Did you forget that we had patrol tonight?” Spike asked. Buffy looked at him then pointed over to the Watchers, and the Vamp looked over. “Oh.”

“That's him!” One of the Watchers whispered, and they all looked shocked. The Council began to talk to themselves and note things down. Spike walked over to the counter and jumped up for a seat on the cabinet.

“Miss Summers? May I ask why William the Bloody is in the very same room with us?” An elderly woman asked.

“I like you - might eat you first.” Spike smiled as the woman flinched.

“Spike has a micro-chip in his brain that won’t let him hurt humans, so now he works for me” Buffy pointed out.

“I don't think this is wise Miss...”

“Since when did I care what you think?” Buffy interrupted Quentin.

“I knew we should have never gone through with it!” another woman whispered to her companions.

“We had to, it was the only way” a man whispered back.

“What was?” Anya asked the man.

“Excuse me?”

“You just said 'It was the only way'” she pointed out.

“Jacob didn't mean anything by that” Quentin growled.

“Then why did he say it, you pillock?” Giles snapped, before turning his attention the other Watcher. “What was it you said?”

“Say one word and you’re fired!” Quentin glared back at Jacob. The Watchers looked at each other.

“She needs to know, Quentin” one woman said.

“It wasn't fair!” said another man.

“What are you talking about?” Xander asked.

“Quiet, all of you!” The head of the Council demanded.

“No! You made this mess, you clean it up!” Another man yelled and the other Watchers cheered.

“Enough!” Buffy yelled, and the room went silent. “What is going on?” Quentin looked down at the table. Seconds went past before everyone knew he wasn't going to speak.

“Well if you are not going to tell her...” a female Watcher said, as she walked away from the group and over to the mirror.

“Marian, don't!” Quentin protested.

“No Quentin, I have lived with this on my conscience for years. She needs to know about her past!”


Chapter End Notes:
Please review, it would mean so much to me