Author's Chapter Notes:
Many thanks to all of you who reviewed! It makes me so very happy to know you're enjoying this story.

Many thanks as always to my very lovely friends Tina and Deanna, for editing this chapter for me and for all their wonderful suggestions. Thanks, as well to Carrie for the read-through. And all of you, for your support, especially this last week. I don't know what I'd do without you, cariños. *huggles*
Disclaimer²: Some of the dialogue in this chapter was directly taken (and somewhat twisted) from the episodes “When She Was Bad” and "Intervention". It’s not mine, it’s property of Joss Whedon, ME and its writers.

Part 3

His lips were but a hairsbreadth from hers when she caught something in the periphery of her vision. Something that made her internally groan and ask the heavens if she would ever catch a break. Judging by the disappointed looks her friends were throwing her when she finally looked their way, she truly doubted it.

Oh joy, this was just what she needed to make her night complete… another confrontation.

Buffy rolled her eyes and shrugged apologetically at Spike before taking a couple of steps back—feeling bereft when his hands fell from her face. Heaving a long, pained sigh, she turned towards her friends.

They had seemed disillusioned before, but now they were making her feel downright uncomfortable. She really could do without the condemning, colder than ice glares times two.

Ergh. What was their problem anyway? Whoever noticed might think she’d killed their puppy or something. Or that it was Angel who was their friend and not her.

“Hey guys! What a surprise to find you two here,” she said with a saccharine sweet smile and a tone that dripped venom. If the way Willow and Xander kept staring at her as if she suddenly grown a second head was any indication, she might as well have told them she’d hoped not to see them tonight. Which was true, but sooooo not the point right now.

“What do you mean, Buffy? We said this morning that we’d meet you here.” Willow frowned, the blonde girl’s sarcasm flying right over her.

“Yeah? Must have slipped my mind then.” She waved the issue off.

“Buffy, we need to talk to you.” The redhead gave the brunet boy a glance that spoke volumes. Next thing she knew, they were each flanking her, both of them grabbing her by an arm as they began herding her towards their table and away from the platinum blond she wanted to stay with.

She dug in her heels and managed to bring them to a stop. “And what if I don’t need or want to talk with you?” The looks, the corralling, the sudden ‘need to talk’… this definitely had ‘intervention’ written all over it, which was so not happening if she could help it.

“Buffy, we care about you, and we’re worried about you. The way you’re acting tonight, the things you’re doing—” Xander stopped talking mid-sentence, throwing a few not-so-covert glares in Spike’s direction to make his point clear. Not that she could’ve missed his meaning even if he hadn’t, she sighed.

“Is wrong,” Willow piped in, before her forehead furrowed. “Wait. This shouldn’t be about blame,” she added almost to herself.

“Blame? There’s blame now?” Buffy tried to hold on to what little patience she still had. Ugh, this was so… typical. Blaming her for everything that went wrong in Sunnydale and its vicinities.

“No, of course not, Buffy,” the other girl replied in a decisively condescending tone that grated on her nerves. “There’s only love… and some fear.”

“A-ha, I see.”

“Do you, really? Because, then maybe you can explain to us… what was that about?” Willow nodded her head towards the vampire who had yet to stand up from the floor, the look in the redhead’s eyes when she posed them on him filled with concern and pity.

Buffy couldn’t stop herself from rolling her eyes in annoyance. Figures they’d be worried about him and not her.

“Yeah, Buff, you know I’d be the last one to defend dead boy there but that was a bit harsh, don’t you think?” Xander interjected, pulling at her arm again to put more distance between Spike and her in a move that only served to anger Buffy even more.

“No, Xan, actually I don’t think it was harsh at all. And if you don’t want to end up like him, I suggest you release me. Now,” she demanded, narrowing her eyes threateningly.

“Geez! What the hell is wrong with you?” He scowled, releasing her immediately.

“What do you mean what’s wrong with me?” she countered in a deceptively soft tone.

“Okay, that’s denial. That usually comes before anger,” Willow explained, wincing a little when Buffy sent her a murderous glare.

“No one is judging you, Buffy,” Xander said, trying to pacify the Slayer. “It’s understandable. This guy…” he looked at the other man, who’d remained a few meters away from them, but appeared to be following their conversation with interest, “…he seems strong, and mysterious, and sort of compact but well-muscled.”

The blonde girl raised an inquisitive eyebrow, addressing him in a mocking tone, “Well, well, it seems you’ve been busy staring at my boyfriend. Should I be concerned?”

Xander blushed to the roots of his hair and shook his head, obviously deciding to finally shut his mouth. And they said miracles didn’t happen.

“Y-your boyfriend?” Willow asked, her eyes almost bulging out of their sockets as she looked from Buffy to Spike and back. “But… what about Angel? Never mind that you’ve never told us about this other guy.”

“In case you hadn’t noticed, Angel is history, and about Spike… well, it’s not like I have to tell you everything that happens to me, is it?” she replied nonchalantly, shrugging off her friends’ hurt expressions. “Perhaps if either or both of you had called or contacted me during the summer, I might have told you sooner about him. But seeing as neither of you cared enough to do that; well, I don’t see why I have to bother, do you?”

“You’ve changed,” the redhead said in a little voice, her eyes brimming with unshed tears. “You’re not the same Buffy you were.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. Ugh, if they thought they were going to make her feel guilty for this on top of everything she’d gone through, they had another thing coming.

“Wow, really? And why do you think that might be?” Buffy asked sarcastically, not giving them the chance to respond before adding, “Oh, let me think about that for a sec, what could have changed Buffy, hmmm? How about the fact that I died and you brought me back to life? Or that I have to keep on living in the Hellmouth, putting my life on the line for people who have no idea or even care what it’s like to do this on a daily basis, while at the same time I have to pretend everything is just peachy, because that’s what some people expect of me.”

“Surely you don’t mean us, Buffy. We’re your friends,” Willow intervened, hurt dripping in her tone.

“Are you really?” She cocked her head to look at the two of them, crossing her hands defensively in front of her chest. “Because right now, I’m not feeling the love. Look, I’m sorry if I can’t be the same Buffy I was before, but I… too much has happened and things change. I have changed and I’m sick and tired of pretending otherwise.”

“But you don’t have to pretend with us, Buffy. I’m sorry if we made you feel like you had to; we-we didn’t mean to, I swear,” Willow said vehemently, nudging Xander with her elbow.

“We really had no idea you felt that way,” he agreed, looking down at his feet sheepishly. “It wasn’t on purpose. We just… didn’t know what to say or do.”

Buffy sighed, feeling as if a huge weight had been lifted from her chest just by coming clean to her friends like this. “I know you didn’t do it on purpose and that… well, it’s my fault, too, for not telling you how I was feeling. But I need you to understand this is not easy for me.”

“And we do, we promise.” The redhead smiled hopefully at her. “So, it’s all good? With us, I mean.”

Buffy smiled a little, shrugging her shoulders. “Sure, if you really want it to be.”

“Cool! So…” Willow started, leaning slightly forward and lowering her voice so no else but them heard their conversation. “…are you going to tell us about your boyfriend now?”

Buffy’s eyes scanned the club, searching and finally finding the man who inadvertently had given her the strength she needed to do this, to begin facing a few of the demons that had been haunting her since the night the Master killed her. They exchanged a grin and she nodded almost imperceptibly when he signaled with his head towards the back door of the Bronze.

“Uh, there’s not much to say. I met him in LA and now he’s here. And really, much as I’d love to stay and chat with you two, well… I gotta go now. I’ll see you guys tomorrow, alright?”

She barely acknowledged their responses with a nod, her attention and steps already drifting after the platinum blond man as he exited the club… only to have someone cut right in front of her when she was about to reach the back door.

Buffy rolled her eyes heavenward and sighed deeply when she saw who it was. This was getting old, really, really fast. Not to mention more than a bit ridiculous. Who else would she have to deal with tonight?

“Buffy.”

“Cordelia,” she deadpanned in the same tone the other girl had used with her.

“You’re really campaigning for Bitch of the Year, aren’t you?

“What if I am? As defending champion, are you nervous I might actually win?”

“I can hold my own.” The brunette girl’s gaze held hers. “You know, we’ve never really been close, which is nice, `cause I don’t really like you that much, but… on occasion, you have saved the world and stuff, so I’m gonna… do you a favor.”

Oh yay! Another person that wanted to meddle in her life! Would this ever end? As it was, the best favor Cordelia could ever do for her right now was to let her continue on her merry way, but since she didn’t see that happening, she simply replied, “And this great favor is?”

“I’m gonna give you some advice. Get. Over. It.”

Huh? “Excuse me?”

“Whatever is causing the Joan Collins ‘tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it,” she elaborated. “`Cause pretty soon you’re not even gonna have the loser friends you’ve got now.”

“I think it’s about time you started minding your own business… but if you really want to know, things with my friends, who by the way are definitely not losers, are better than ever, so save your… ‘friendly’ advice for someone who needs it, alright?”

“Whatever,” the brunette scoffed. “I guess I’ll just see if Angel feels like dancing then.”

Buffy chuckled at that, shaking her head in amusement. Was that supposed to mean something to her, ruffle her feathers and whatnot? “Be my guest, Cordy. Who knows? Now that I’ve told him there’s no shot of us ever being an item, he might just take you up on it to get over me.” She turned her back on the other girl, not even waiting for a reaction and kept on walking towards the door. “Oh, and thanks for the advice, by the way,” she said over her shoulder, before finally making it through the back door.

* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Spike’s feelings for the Slayer were moving way beyond being impressed by her looks and spunk into the realm of full-blown admiration for her strength of character, no two ways about it. And truly how could they not when every new thing he discovered about her, further intrigued and fascinated him?

She was a goddess, all golden and beautiful; bloody poetry in motion, too. Be it as she danced or when she’d lunged at the pompous pain in his ass and overpowered him with a single, very effective move.

It took everything in him not to laugh in his Grandsire’s face. It was obvious he hadn’t expected the girl to react quite like that. To be honest, neither had Spike.

He knew something very bad must have happened to make the chit respond like that. He had to give her props, though; even with as palpable as her anger had been, she kept a cool head. Not giving the poof the chance to excuse his actions or to complete any of his sentences which actually worked to his advantage… this time.

It wasn’t until he eavesdropped on her conversation with her friends, that he had an inkling of what it was that made her seem so… broken, so withdrawn when he’d met her earlier tonight. Bloody wankers, the lot of them! How could they not notice how much pain the girl was in, when it’d taken him only seconds?

She’d been minutes away from saying to hell with everything and embracing that death wish all Slayers had at some point when he found her. He’d sensed it, recognized it even and instead of pushing her further into that downward spiral, had come to her rescue. Why? He had no fucking clue.

Only that was a lie, wasn’t it? He’d been drawn to her from the moment he saw her, some perverted sense of gallantry taking over even as he knew this must be some twisted joke of the bleeding Powers That Be to get their kicks in somehow.

There was no other explanation for his attraction to the bloody Slayer of all chits, at least not for him.

“Penny for your thoughts?” he heard suddenly, the Slayer’s voice startling him out of his musings. Sneaky little thing, wasn’t she? He’d been so deep in thought he hadn’t heard or felt her until she was right in front of him in the dimly illuminated alley.

“Not sure they’re worth that much, love,” he answered with a wistful grin, refusing to acknowledge that what he was experiencing was relief of any kind that she’d, in fact, joined him.

“Well, if you told me what they were, I could tell you how much they are worth.”

“Wonderin’ what was keepin’ you in there, `s all,” he said, turning to face her.

“What?” She tilted her head, a little smile playing on her lips. “Don’t tell me you were worried I wasn’t going to keep my promise and give you the grand tour after all?”

“Jus’ thought your li’l mateys might convince you to stay with `em, is all.” Not exactly a lie, but not completely the truth, either.

“My little ‘mateys’, as you call them, seem to be more understanding than I gave them credit for.”

“That’s good then.” He extended his hand to her and was surprised when she not only took it without hesitation, but also allowed him to pull her into his arms.

“An’ that non-boyfriend `f yours didn’ bother you anymore?” He bent his knees slightly, so he could reach her neck better, nuzzling it with his nose, inhaling her scent—citrusy and fresh, merging enticingly with something that had to be inherently Buffy, something powerful, intoxicating, just as she was.

“After what you witnessed, I think it’s safe to say he got the message… loud and clear,” she giggled, tilting her head slightly to give him better access to her throat, her little hands tightening on the lapels of his duster.

Spike was more than a bit mystified by her behavior. He’d been half-expecting her to punch his nose or something, to put an end to his attentions, especially when his lips began traveling down the slender column to place small kisses against her soft skin. Not that he was about to complain, or stop, when she didn’t do any of that.

“Yeah, quite impressive that, by the way.” Not really, though, since he knew what or rather who she was, but he figured it was what she expected to hear. There was no way she was aware of what he was, no bloody way. She wouldn’t be here in his arms like this if she knew.

“Yeah, it was, wasn’t it?” she replied proudly. “I was… surprised you didn’t intervene, most men would’ve.”

He pulled away from her throat to gaze into her green depths. “Oh, don’ get me wrong, love. I would’ve intervened if you needed me to,” he said sincerely. “You did an amazin’ job all by yourself, though. Not to mention, `m man `nough not to feel threatened by a beautiful woman who’s able to wipe the floor with someone that’s double her size.” He winked at her, half-jokingly adding, “Jus’ remind me never to get on your bad side, yeah?”

“What, don’t tell me you’re scared of little ole me?” she asked with an amused grin, obviously tickled to pieces by the mere thought.

“After what I jus’ saw, I warrant li’l you can do a lot `f damage to a bloke like me.” And not jus’ the physical kind, either, he added to himself.

“That depends, I guess.” She shrugged, slowly dragging her hands up his duster to wrap them around his neck. “So far, you’re doing much better in the potential boyfriend department than Angel ever did.”

“You don’ say,” he smirked, his arms banding around her waist and hauling her closer, encouraged by her flirtatious behavior. “However did I manage that, hmm?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” she said, inclining her head and looking playfully at him through lowered lashes. “Maybe because you didn’t go all fangy and grr on me when I offered you my neck?”

tbc


Chapter End Notes:
So, was it how you expected or not? I'd love to know if you're inclined to tell me.

And before I forget, Against All Odds won Reader's Choice and Runner Up for Best Romance and Into the Night won Reader's Choice for Best Episode Stealer at Round 5 at the Spark and Burn Awards! I just can't thank enough all of you who voted for my stories, despite how bad I've been at updating lately. *hugs you all*