Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm now begging for reviews...so if you read could you please take two seconds to review for me? It really makes my day. Tell me you love it, hate it, want it to be burned in the flames of a thousand hells.
5 years before… Sunnydale, California

Buffy took her time driving home as she wiped the tears from her eyes. She idly flipped the radio stations as she kept herself busy but nothing would kill the pain of Spike walking away from her. The entire discussion had gone wrong from the get-go and she almost wished he had never followed her to the beach. She almost wished that she had decided to sit and let the water take her over. Surely drowning couldn’t be as bad as everyone said it was. It had to be better than digging a razorblade into her wrist or slashing her own throat. Or maybe pills or hanging would have worked. Her mother’s depression pills might work but then again she had heard horror stories of overdoses going wrong. She wanted to do it right the first time, not wind up in the loony bin for her troubles. She wanted to spare her parents the sight of finding her bloody body lain somewhere for the masses to find. No, drowning would have been better. They might have found her body weeks later and ruled it an accident. No need for her mother to have to take time out of her own life to worry about why her only daughter took her own life. No inquisition from her friends that wondered and certainly no reason to worry Spike about it all, but then again, he had just walked away from her so easily. He probably wouldn’t even care enough to cry at her funeral. He certainly had shown no emotion when he left her crying on the beach so why bother considering his own feelings when she was gone.

Buffy continued to drive around the small town as she talked herself into and out of the grand plan of wading into the shore and just drifting away. She passed happy families as they strolled down the main street without a care in the world. She chuckled mindlessly as she passed them and could only think of what horrors they were hiding behind their grinning faces. It took two hours before she finally made it into the driveway of the picturesque home.

‘All we need is a fuckin’ Golden Retriever and the picture would be complete’ Buffy rolled her eyes at the slightly overgrown garden and the tall oaks on the front lawn as she made her way to the door, unnoticing of the figure sitting on the porch until it was too late.

“How was your day sweetheart?” Joyce Summers sat on the porch as she watched her daughter grimace with every step closer to her.

“It was fine. Look, I’m going over to Willow’s tonight if that’s cool with you.” Buffy moved to walk past her mother but was stopped by a hand to her arm.

“I want us to have a mother/daughter night, just the two of us. We haven’t seen much of each other and, well, I just want to spend some time with you. Can you call Willow and maybe do it another night?” Joyce watched her daughter with pleading eyes as she took in the baggy clothes she was wearing. It wasn’t like her daughter to refute style for comfort.

“Uh…yeah I guess we can do that. John won’t be here?” Buffy regarded her mother with a cautioned gaze as she took in the tears that adorned the older woman’s face.

“John left this morning, he won’t be back. H-he left me…he said he was sick of playing ‘house’ and wanted his freedom back. I gave him back his ring so it’s just the two of us again and Buffy, please I just want to reconnect with you. We used to be so happy together and now…I just feel like we don’t talk and when we do, we fight. I want us to be happy again sweetheart. I want to know everything that’s going on in your life. Do you think we can try?”

“Yeah mom we can try” ‘Yeah let’s talk about how your ex-fiancé finger-fucked me in the hallway before dinner or how he raped me the night before. Yeah mom lets talk about it all.’ Buffy suppressed to the urge to express her seething hatred and replaced it with a quick smile before following her mother to the waiting forest green Jeep parked in the driveway.

Later at the local dinner, mother and daughter sat in silence as they sifted through French fries, burgers and milkshakes, neither one willing to make the first move. Buffy kept her head low as she spotted a couple of her friends sitting in the corner booth on the other side of the small diner chatting away having not noticed her. Her expression grew dimmer as she caught a glimpse of a bleached blonde head move towards the laughing group. She was in direct sight of her former lover and her expression dimmed further as she saw the bottle blonde practically glued to his side as he joked around with HER friends.

“…so I was thinking we could go down to the cabin for the summer before you head off to college, just have a mother/daughter bonding session while we’re there. Would you like that?”

Buffy blinked rapidly trying to dispel the image of her boyfriend…ex-boyfriend wrapped in the arms of another girl less than twenty-four hours after their break-up as she tried to think of what her mother had just said.

“Uh yeah mom that sounds great.”

“Once more with feeling if you please.” Joyce chuckled before glancing behind her to see what had caught her daughter’s gaze. She blinked a couple of times as she took in the leather-clad teen she’d thought was involved with her daughter sitting with an obnoxious-looking little hussy. “Isn’t that William? And who is he with? I thought you two were still seeing each other.”

“Not anymore. He broke up with me this afternoon and that’s Harmony Kendall, Sunnydale High’s resident slut and apparently his new girlfriend.” Buffy glanced back down at her fries before stabbing at them with her fork, imagining every single one was either Harmony or Spike.

“Why that little insolent…I’m going to give him a piece of my mind. He thinks he can do this to my daughter…no piece of trailer trash gets away with this!” Joyce stood and stormed over to the table before Buffy could give even the slightest hint of protest.

“William James Pratt! I have something to discuss with you!” Joyce loomed over the smirking teen.