Rape (n)
1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

(tr. V)
1. To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.

Molest (v)
1. To bother, interfere with, or to annoy.
2. To make indecent sexual advances to.
3. To assault sexually

Joyce stammered as she focused on finding anything else her little girl had said. Anything at all, maybe Buffy had said tape. Maybe she was taped, it could be new lingo she wasn’t hip to or maybe her daughter said she wanted a cape. She could buy Buffy a cape and make it all better, after all the holidays were right around the corner. Her little girl could play superhero and ward off evil. Watching her daughter’s eyes fill with tears Joyce realized that none of the possible words she had come up with were what her baby girl had said. Rape. Her baby had lost her innocence, forced to lose it at such a young age. An age where she should have only cared about shopping, grades… and boys.

Joyce opened her mouth to speak but no sound emerged. She tried again, forcing herself to swallow the lump in her throat before taking a deep breath and exhaling, “W-who?”

With shoulders trembling and her arms wrapped around her body, protecting her from the outside world, Buffy stared her mother dead in the eyes and replied, “John.”

The sound of a body crashing to the floor was all that Joyce registered as she slumped against the wall behind, briefly thankful that it had somewhat cushioned her fall. this was the moment in her life that she had never pondered or even dreamed could ever happen to her but looking into her daughter’s eyes, she knew it had to be true. Tears rained down her cheeks as her brow furrowed in concentration, thinking over every encounter her daughter had with the man who had betrayed them both. She wanted to cry to her heart’s content. She wanted to rewind time and go back to when it was all so simple…she wanted everything to go away that was bad in the world and hold her daughter until the end of time… but there was nothing she could do but face the truth and move forward.

“Are you lying to me?” Joyce’s eyes flew open at the sound of her own voice asking the one question she had never meant to ask and the one question the single-handedly destroyed her relationship with her daughter. She could see it in her eyes as Buffy withdrew into herself and hugged her legs closer to her body.

With a faint voice, Buffy replied, “How could you even ask me that? He fucking raped me and all you can think about was that I must be lying. I never should have told you.” Tears paraded from the corner of her eyes as she repeated her last words and trembled against the couch, grateful for the chance to hide behind her hair.

Joyce’s eyes closed in defeat as she absorbed the truth in Buffy’s voice. On some level she had always known her little girl would never lie to her about something as big as this but she needed to hear the words, to confirm it for herself. “I had to know… I still need to know. Why didn’t you tell me sooner? When did this all start?”

Shaking from fear and repulsion from deeds already done, Buffy hesitated in answering. “I-I, he told me he would kill you, me, and everyone I ever cared about if I ever told anyone. I know he’ll do it if he has half the chance…and you do too.” She paused, taking in much needed breaths. “It started when I was thirteen.”



Joyce let out a strangled gasp and let her head hit the wall behind her before closing her eyes and wringing her hands in front of her. In disbelief, she shuddered and whispered a string of expletives. “Why didn’t you tell me, Buffy? I could have done something, anything. Why didn’t you scream for me? I’m your mother, baby, and I should have been there to protect you.” She staggered to her knees and crawled to her daughter on the couch, engulfing the tiny girl in her arms and finally releasing the tears that fluttered against her eyelids. “I was supposed to protect you.”

Buffy pulled away slightly to glance at the wall behind her mother, disbelieving the words she was hearing. Only minutes ago her mother had questioned if she had made the entire thing up and now she was comforting her, hugging her, and telling her that if she had only opened up sooner than she could have been protected.

It was too much…and too little.

“Y-you weren’t there and you didn’t protect me. You were less than ten feet away and you didn’t help me. He had his fucking hand down my pants and you just smiled and walked out of the room. How could you do that? How could you be so blind?” Buffy choked the words out, staring blankly at the wall across the room. “Why did you let him hurt me?”

Joyce held her even tighter and whispered her apologies and defending her undying love for the little girl wrapped in her arms. “I love you. Don’t you ever forget that, Buffy. I may not have been there when you needed me and believe me, that will haunt me until the day I die and then some but never doubt that I love you with all my heart and I will make this right.”

Closing her eyes, Buffy hugged her mother closer and let the tears fall against the soft beige sweater, which smelt of lilies and her mother’s perfume, Eternity.

“I’m going to make this right. I promise you that I will protect you from now on. It doesn’t mean much now but you are my baby girl and I am never going to let anything hurt you ever again.” Joyce said with conviction as she murmured into her daughter’s ear, gently pushing the stray hair away from her face.

Buffy stiffened before choking out a whisper, “Y-you can’t promise that.”