“Fuck!” Spike’s eyes bugged as he clung to the passenger side door of the Highlander.
“Buffy! Slow Down!”

“Would you chill out you big weenie” Buffy glared at him before swerving around the corner, barely missing pedestrians on the sidewalk.

“’M tryin’ to. ‘f you would stay on the road I could relax a bit”

“I am on the road…well mostly!” Buffy huffed as she once again swerved away from the sidewalk.
Spike closed his eyes and tightened his grip on the door handle, silently thanking all deities they were close to the Bronze and would soon be out of the death mobile. With a lurch his prayers were answered. Buffy quickly put the car in park and hopped out of the SUV.

“See? Totally safe! Not a single mark and nothing‘s broken!” Buffy gestured to the car and then to herself. Spike took a few moments to check himself for injuries before climbing out of the car and taking Buffy’s hand before leading her as far away as possible from the source of what were sure to be his worst nightmares.

“Luv, you can’t drive.” Spike tried to soften the blow by giving her a quick kiss before they walked into the nightclub.

“I so can! I even have my driver’s license and I still don’t know why you won’t let me drive your precious car. It’s not like it’s actually worth anything…”

“Who said anything about my car pet?” Spike watched her with a confused expression. Her features quickly changed from surprise to anger.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask Harmony?” She quickly untangled her hand from Spike’s before turning on her heel towards a group of their friends already at a table.
Spike could only watch as she stormed off, his mind reeling as he tried to find an explanation for her behavior.

It took him only seconds before he was hot on her heels. As he dodged through the mass of people between them, he thought back on every scenario that involved talking to Harmony. He finally caught her at the table sitting with Willow, Xander and Cordelia.

“What the hell are you on about?” Spike growled at her as she took her seat next to Willow.

“What do you mean ‘what the hell am I on about‘? And keep your voice down.” Buffy growled back at him, her face contorting in anger.

“Harmony? What the hell were you spouting off about Harm?”

“Why don’t you go ask her!” Buffy pointed towards the bar where the ditzy blonde was flirting with bartender.

“Bloody hell Buffy! I don’t want to talk to the stupid bint. I want to talk to you.” Spike let his hands fall dejectedly to his sides. He stood watching as she tried to compose herself and assume a blank expression.

“Fine! Let’s talk. Answer me this! How long have you been sleeping with Harmony?”

Spike blanched. His jaw nearly hit the floor with her accusation. “I-I what?”

“Nice Spike. Don’t even try to deny it. You know what… you two are meant for each other.” Buffy turned her teary eyes away from him before nodding to Willow and following the redhead away from the table.

“I would follow her man” The house band’s bass player, Oz, stood behind Spike and motioned towards the fleeing duo.


Buffy stood with Willow in front of the mirrors in the ladies restroom. She dabbed at her eyes with a tissue, trying to stop the flow of tears.

“Buffy, what happened?” Willow tried to console her friend. Her hand gently running over the blonde’s back in a comforting gesture.

“I-I don’t know. I just blew up at him. Harmony was saying that she drove his car a couple of times and I just…” The tears kept coming but for a different reason than she was telling.

“Buffy, do you think Spike is sleeping with Harmony?” At Buffy’s shake of the head, Willow gave her friend one last pat on the back before opening the bathroom door and revealing Spike on the opposite side of it.

Spike stood at the door, unsure if he should enter the small bathroom. When Buffy’s tear-filled green eyes met his own blue ones he felt the urge to run to her and comfort his girl. It took mere seconds before he charged towards her, bringing her body flush against his. He slowly ran his hands down her back while whispering words of endearment to her.

Buffy pulled away after a few moments and gently kissed his chin before speaking.

“I’m sorry Spike. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. I know you would never cheat on me…”

“Especially with Harmony luv. Do you want to tell me what that was really about luv or do I have to guess?”

“I want to tell you Spike, but I can’t. I just can’t. I can tell you it has nothing to do with you. You’ve been more than I could ever hope for or ever deserve.”
“You deserve the world pet” Buffy shook her head ‘no’ before he continued, “You deserve nothing less than the best. You are my reason, my everything, my love. You make my day complete. Even in those yummy sushi pajamas you’re so fond of” She let out a small chuckle before he continued, “And god…when we’re together, it’s heaven. You take me to heaven luv. Why would I want another woman when you take me to new heights every time?”

“Spike, I’m not worth it. I don’t deserve you.” She broke into tears yet again. She let the tears fall as his arms wrapped around her. “Not after everything… You don’t know what I’ve done. What I’ve had to do.”

“Buffy please tell me sweetheart. I want to make it all better. I want to be able to slay your demons but you have to let me in first. Can you tell me? Please?” They both sank to floor, desperately holding onto each other.

“I can’t Spike. I can’t tell anyone. You don’t know what would happen. I can’t. You would hate me…”

“Baby I’m right here with you. Not going anywhere. You can tell me.”

“Spike can we just let it go? I just can’t tell you, not now. Maybe later though. Please can we just try to salvage this night?” Buffy looked up at him with wide-eyes, silently begging him to let her retreat away from her damaged self.

“As long as you promise to tell me soon.”

“Agreed” Buffy gave him a small smile. She silently vowed to herself that perhaps one day she would tell him.