They lay wrapped in each others arm watching the waves for several minutes more before the bleached blonde’s hand began to stroke the inside of his counterparts thigh. His other hand idly played with her golden locks and she relaxed further into his embrace. Buffy tried to hide the wince as he brushed against a particularly sensitive bruise. Unfortunately it wasn’t subtle enough as he tugged on her shoulder to face him before ducking down to inspect her inner thigh.

“Pet, what’s with the bruises?” Spike gently caressed around the blackened flesh in a reverent manner as he gazed into her watering eyes.

“I, uh, I walked into a door?” Buffy cringed at her own lame excuse.

“Right and I’m Santa Claus. Try another one luv ‘cause I’m not buying it. These don’t look like you walked into a bloody door, they’re fingerprints. Tell me what’s going on Buffy. I can’t help unless you tell me and I want to help you kitten.”

“Spike it’s really nothing, doesn’t even hurt that much anymore from…the fight with the door.” She tried to distract his wandering gaze by softly kissing his lips but failed miserably as he ducked down once more to inspect the rest of her body for marks. He found even more on the backs of her thighs and lower back.

“Now I see why you were just screwing me. Who is it Buffy? Is it Parker? Xander? Please tell me you’re not fucking Xander! Please tell me you aren’t screwing my best friend!” Spike stood, quickly pulled up his jeans and refastening them as he threw Buffy her clothes and walked several paces away from her.

“Spike, you don’t understand. I never…” Buffy stopped for a moment to pull the tank over her head and refasten the loose jeans, trying not to wince as the fabric hit her bruises. “I never…not with them. I wouldn’t do that to you. I’m not that much of a heartless bitch.”

“So it was Angel then? Doyle? Maybe you’ve been fucking Gunn. Who was it Buffy?” He grabbed at her shoulders, shaking her small frame, undoubtedly leaving more bruises to mar her flesh.

“None of them, I haven’t touched any of them. You wouldn’t understand Spike and get your damn hands off me!” Buffy flung his bruising grip off of her and stepped back several paces, glaring at him hard.

“What the bloody hell is wrong with you lately? You want to fuck as long as I don’t get too close and now there are bruises that I know I didn’t cause. What the fuck is going on Buffy? What the hell happened today?” The muscles in his jaw ticked as he waited for her answer, fists balling by his sides.

“There is nothing wrong with me Spike, don’t you ever insinuate there is something wrong with me ever again! You want to know what’s going on Spike. I’ll tell you…it happens every night and some mornings. I have no choice Spike! Don’t you get that?”
Buffy spun on her heel to walk away from him, her hand clenching her keys hard enough to leave raised marks on her palm.

He caught her halfway to the parking lot, his hand resting on her shoulder. “Please pet talk to me. What did you mean it happens every night? Is someone hurting you? Is it your mom…John?”

Buffy closed her eyes on the second name and willed herself to breathe. Her mind raced as she tried to stay in the present with the man in front of her. She covered her arms in an effort to ward off the non-existent cold as she tried to stop trembling.

“Answer me this one question luv- Do you love me?” Spike silently prayed she wouldn’t break his heart for the second time in one day; he could only take so much.

“Yes, I do Spike…I just I-I can’t tell you everything right now. I’m scared Spike. I-I might be…” Buffy ducked her head, unwilling to meet his sympathetic gaze. She didn’t want the pity; she just wanted to be Buffy again, the happy and carefree girl she once was. The looks at school were hard enough, the constant wondering about who knew her deep, dark secret.

“What, what are you Buffy?”

“I-I might be pregnant Spike and I don’t know…”

“Are you screwing anyone else? Is there any chance it might not be mine?”

Buffy thought long and hard about the exact implications of the question. Technically she wasn’t really having sex with anyone else- at least consensually but did that even count? She was forced into it so did that mean she was actually cheating on him or something else? She blinked several times to clear her mind.

“You’re taking a little too long to answer this pet and I think I’ve just found my answer. Goodbye Buffy. Tell Red to tell me when you find out.” Buffy’s eyes widened as his black-clad frame walked away from her to his car, only pausing to start the ignition before he drove off.

She dropped to her knees in the sand as the wracking sobs took over her body. She struggled to breathe as she watched the black Desoto drive away from her, from them. He was gone and there was nothing she could do about it- they were over. Her heart felt like it was going to pound straight out of her chest as she dry-heaved into the sand, her hands clutching at the grainy soil. As the heaving slowed to a stop she sat in the sand for several moments more before heading towards her car. She refused to let anymore tears fall for someone who clearly didn’t want her anymore.

As she started the car and pulled out the parking lot she kept whispering her mantra ‘It wasn’t my fault’ the entire drive home, praying John wouldn’t be waiting for her.
She replayed the last conversation with Spike over in her head as she tried to find the tripping point. None of it actually mattered though.

She was alone again. His last words declared her fate; there was no one else to run to. It was over.

‘Goodbye Buffy’