Buffy left the Durango parked in front of the hospital, lights flashing, as she rushed into the building colliding with a dark-haired male nurse in front of the elevators.

“Whoa there! What’s got you in such a rush?”

“Lieutenant Summers, Sunnydale P.D. Could you please tell me where room 238 is?” Buffy stopped only to flash her badge at the attractive nurse before bouncing in place.

“Room 238 is up the elevator one floor and down the hall to your right. I’m Ben by the way. If you’d like I can show you the way.”

“Yeah that would be great.” Buffy avoided chit-chat with the man the rest of the way to the nurse’s station on the second floor. She whirled in place as she heard a distinctive British voice yelling at a lone nurse in the hallway.

“Bloody hell let me through! I’m an officer of the Sunnydale police department you stupid cow!”

“Do you have any proof you are with the police department?” The nurse asked him calmly.

“I left my badge in the car you daft bint! I’ve already told you that!”

Buffy had decided she’d heard enough at that point and flashed her badge at the appreciative nurse before pulling Spike to the side of the hall.
“What the hell is wrong with you Spike? Are you trying to get yourself kicked out? Yeah, that’ll be a lot of good for the victim. Let’s go ahead and kick all of the officers out of the building ‘cause one can’t remember fucking protocol!” Buffy stormed off towards the cluster of officers guarding a door at the end of the hall, leaving a bewildered Spike in her wake.

“Is she in there?” Buffy tilted her head towards the closed door on the right. The doe-eyed officer standing a little too close for her liking shook his head energetically, reminding her of a little lost puppy. His floppy brown hair bounced against his forehead as he nodded.

“Would you like me to escort you in ma’am?” He faltered at Buffy’s frown. “Uh, I mean Lieutenant Summers.”

She shook her head before breezing past the crestfallen officer and into the patient’s room.

Back down the hall…

Spike stood for several minutes before shaking his head and scurrying down the hall after Buffy. He was stopped by the floppy-haired officer just as he was about to enter the room Buffy had entered moments earlier.

“I’m sorry sir but you can’t go in there.”

“Move out of my way you poncy bugger!” Spike attempted to move past the hulking farm-boy but soon realized he was not going to be able to move him by sheer force.
Instead he opted to raise his voice in an attempt to alert Buffy of his presence. “Buffy!”

“I’m sorry sir but you’re going to have to leave. Gunn, could you please escort him down to the parking lot. We don’t want to disturb Lieutenant Summers.”

“Summers? ‘Bout this high?” Spike motioned a couple of inches below his shoulders before continuing. “Blond, real cute-like?”

The oafish man nodded his head causing his hair to flop around once more.

“Right then, BUFFY!” Spike hollered again. This time rewarded by the irate blonde’s head poking from behind the door.

“Spike would you shut up already and get in here” Buffy held the door open just enough to allow the smirking man through.

She ignored him as they re-entered the room. Instead she focused on the pale woman lying on the bed, surrounded by beeping and buzzing machines. Her head was bald in places with burn marks adorning the scalded flesh while the rest of her pale blond hair lay lifelessly around her shoulders. Her face was nearly un-recognizable under the burn marks. One eye was swollen shut from a beating and pus oozed from it. The rest of her body wasn’t much better. From what Buffy could see the woman’s arms and legs were also burned, her index fingers had been removed from the rest of her hands and from what she had been told at the front desk the woman’s abdomen slashed.

“Harmony? Can you hear me?” At the woman’s nod Buffy continued. “Can you tell me what happened?”

With a raspy voice, she answered “Who’s he?”

“I’m sorry Harmony. This is my partner Detective Pratt.”

“We met at a party, the Lowell house one. He, uh, started dancing with me and we went outside. He seemed so nice, you know? H-he started choking me and h-he… I can’t. I’m so sorry but I can’t…”

“It’s alright Ms. Kendall. You’ve done more than enough. We will find the bastard who did this. Buffy gave the girl a reassuring smile before stepping forward and giving her hand a pat before dragging Spike out the door with her.

“Lieutenant Summers we found a note on the victims clothing.”

“Kendall, Harmony Kendall. She has a name please use it Finn!” Buffy glared at the floppy-haired officer from before.

He took no notice of her correction and handed her a pair of gloves before handing her the note that had been pinned to Harmony’s halter-top.

‘My dearest Buffy,
I feel as though I already know you, although in a way I do. Do you like your present? She’s quite pretty, isn’t she? I left her for you and you alone. I would have rather enjoyed watching her take her last breath but I left her for you. Yes, I saw your heart break with Kathy and Kennedy but this one…she is my gift to you. We will be together soon my love.
Your Secret Admirer’

“Oh my God” Buffy faltered as she finished reading the letter.

“No bloody way in hell is he touching my girl!” Spike wrapped his arms around her tiny waist in an effort to protect her. He pulled out his cell and quickly dialed an outside number. “Sweetheart, Giles wants us to meet him back at headquarters. Seems he has some news for us.” At her nod he led her towards the elevator and down towards the parked Durango.

“I can drive Spike. I’m not going to let some sick bastard scare me into hiding.”


Chapter End Notes:
Review, please?