Author's Chapter Notes:
Reviews would be of the good.
“I’m bored!” Buffy pouted with her arms crossed in front of her chest as she glared at the bleach blonde reading in the seat next to the hospital bed. It had been a week since she had been admitted and yet she was still mostly confined to the bed with short jaunts in the hated black wheelchair, albeit flower covered wheelchair after Dawn had gotten a hold of stickers. “There’s nothing to do in this stupid place with its stupid nurses, stupid doctors and really stupid green walls…I’m bored.”

“And what exactly did you want me to do about that, Summers?” He glanced up for a moment before re-reading the case file in his hands. “Your mum brought you a bunch of those girly magazines. Read one of them. Should be a bloody quiz ‘bout the love of your life in there or 10 ways to make him beg. Educational really.”

“I already did and now I’m bored again. There’s nothing to do here. I’ve already watched the same episode of Will & Grace four times already… can I read the case file?” Her mouth widened into a disarming smile as he blinked and the clutched the file closer to his chest, ready to fight tooth and nail over the thin manila folder.

“No.”

“Why not?” Her smile grew wider as she attempted to run her hand down his arm in hopes of grabbing the file. “C’mon Spikey, just one little peek. I’m going insane just sitting over here while there’s a rapist running free out there. Maybe you need a set of fresh eyes on the file.” She pouted for good measure. “Please?”

“Still no pet. Want to go for spin down to the cafeteria? I’ll buy you a cookie.” He stood and nudged the hospital-issued wheelchair sitting in the corner, giving her a wide grin in the process.

She watched it disdainfully.

“It better be a big cookie.” She waited until he’d gathered her tiny frame in his arms and positioned her in the chair before glaring up at him. “Seriously, this had better be a big damn cookie in the shape of a gun.”

“Now luv, can’t promise it’ll be in the shape of a gun but it’ll be a big, chocolaty cookie maybe in the shape of a heart with a cute little pink bow on top. Tally ho!” He propped open the heavy door before maneuvering the chair into the hall, grinning at the nurses bustling around the main nurses station across from her room.

“Did you just call me a ho?” She turned her head back to glare at him, an accusing look taking over her features as she huffed in indignation. “You, you stupid bleached moron!”

“Hey now! No calling the man who’s going to buy you a big cookie names luv. Already have half a mind to leave you right here and see how far you get.” He gave an apologetic look towards the elderly couple already occupying the elevator and shrugged.

“I hate you.”

“Feelings mutual pet. Jus’ can’t wait ‘til Giles lets me off babysittin’ duty. This is a bloody bore ‘n a half.”

“Gah! I don’t know what the hell I was thinking to ever get involved with you again! You’re nothing but an infuriating, self-righteous, sanctimonious rat bastard! Just go away. I can find my own way to the cafeteria and God willing away from you.” She scowled and swatted his hands away from her chair as she prepped her hands on the wheels, ready for her great escape as soon as the elevator stopped moving.

The doors opened and she was off to the races as she sped along the corridor and away from the other passengers still standing in the elevator.

The older gentleman next to Spike looked at him curiously before adjusting his glasses and clearing his throat but before he could get a word out his wife interrupted him, “Aren’t they just adorable Ernest? They remind me of us when we were that age, except our hair color was a touch more natural. Such a sweet couple.”

Ernest nodded his head in agreement before turning back to Spike, “How long have you and your wife been married, son?”

The detective could only groan and he swiftly exited the elevator and followed the irritating blonde towards the cafeteria, where he found her moments later arguing with a nurse.

20 minutes later… Sunnydale General Hospital cafeteria

“What do you mean your team found a file with Summers’ name on it?” Spike glared at the slender man slouched in his seat.

“I’ve already told you. Got a tip that Angelus was camped out in the old Sherman’s warehouse so we stormed the place but it was empty except for some of his stuff. Found pictures and a dossier on Lieutenant Summers detailing her work and personal history. Looks like he hired someone to follow her around.” Detective Robbie Marshall was undeterred at the bleached blonde’s glares as he studied the petite officer munching on her chocolate chip cookie while she looked over her own history. She’s fucking gorgeous. Damn sure she’d be a animal in the sack. Can’t wait to ride her into the mattress as soon as Pratt’s out of the way.

“Some of these weren’t written by Angelus. Should do a fingerprint analysis and see what comes up…I mean…look, I know I’m not exacting active but I think I can help, seeing as how I know how Angelus works and how he lives and…” Buffy’s ramble was quickly cut off as Giles came to her rescue.

“It’s alright Buffy. You are more a part of this team now that we know Angelus has eyes out for you. Obviously you’ve gotten closer to him than any of us have and you know how he operates. You’re still a vital part of this team.” He chuckled. “Even if you are munching on cookies instead of filing paperwork. The response to the shooting has been astronomical in citizens wanting to help your recovery in any capacity. I do believe you’ve become the face of the Sunnydale P.D, inadvertently of course.”

“I don’t have to strut around in a bikini at the Miss America Pageant, do I?” At Giles’ bewildered look, she continued. “You know, Miss Congeniality the movie with Sandra Bullock where she’s an FBI agent and she has to…you know what Giles, I’m going to take this opportunity to introduce you to the fun side of the 21st century.”

“Y-yes I do believe we should get back to business then.” He shook his graying head at the grinning officer before addressing the rest of the group. “Marshall and Finn will take over guarding Summers’ room and…”

“No sodding way I’m leaving custody of Summers in their hands. Angelus would be in ‘ere ‘imself taking ‘er out. I’ll volunteer to stay with Summers ‘til she’s up and at ‘em again.” Spike added adamantly as he handed Buffy another cookie and interlacing their fingers together.

“Fine. Pratt will stay in the room with Summers while Finn and Marshall patrol the halls…”

“Only reason he wants to stay with her is so he can fuck her brains out. Everybody knows he’s doing her on the side but the real question is- how’s Dru these days, Pratt?”

If Spike had ever hated Robbie Marshall before, it was now apparent to everyone in the room as he glared daggers at the slightly older man. Marshall had never kept it a secret that he envied Spike’s relationship with the quirky blonde and would stop at nothing to get her in his own arms and for that, Spike hated him
more than Angelus himself.

“That’s enough, Marshall. I’ve approved the arrangement and I can personally guarantee that the first person out of line will be sitting on desk duty for the rest of his/her career, do I make myself clear?” Giles tossed a small smile towards the blondes before turning his glare back on Marshall.

“Perfectly.”