Chapter 10

“Don’t you dare walk away from me, young lady! As long as you’re living under my roof, you’ll do as I say.”

Buffy stopped in her tracks, turning to glare at her father. “Then maybe I won’t be living under your roof anymore, I’m tired of it. I’m tired of you moving us around just to make yourself look better. I screw up in LA, so you had to move us here to start over. Well, guess what? I’m still screwing up. You both would obviously be better off if I didn’t live under your roof. I only came back to get some of my stuff, I’ll be out of your way soon.”

Hank Summers threw up his hands. “I’m not listening to this. Talk some sense into your daughter, Joyce,” he spat, throwing his wife a cowering stare.

She avoided her husband’s gaze, not sure what to say to deflect the situation. “No one is blaming anyone here, Buffy. We all just need to sit down and talk about this. Think about what you’re doing, you’re throwing everything away for a man that is old enough to be your father. He has a daughter your age, don’t you see how wrong that is? We only want what’s best for you.”

Buffy laughed humorlessly. “Right, what’s best for me, or what’s best for your reputation? Let’s face it, all you care about is the fact that I’m involved with a man who doubles my age, and how bad it makes you look. It was never about me. I love him and right now, he’s the only one that’s been there for me.”

Hank scoffed. “Love? You think that’s what this is? You don’t know the first thing about love, you little brat. He only wants one thing from you, and I guarantee it has nothing to do with love. Why else would a man want a young girl? It’s only about sex. As soon as you get older, he’ll get bored of you and find another pretty young thing to keep him company. All you are is someone to warm his bed, but that won’t last.”

“You don’t know anything about him!” Buffy yelled. “He’s not you, Dad. Don’t think I don’t know that you’ve been fucking your secretary for the last year, I’m not stupid. And don’t even give me that look, Mom, you knew all along. How could you stay with someone who’s been cheating on you? If you ask me, you’re the ones who know nothing about love. I’m getting out of here; I want nothing to do with either of you.”

Hank grasped her arm, yanking her back. “You’re not going anywhere, except up to your room. I’ll lock you in there if I have to. You are never to see that man again, do you understand me?”

She ripped her arm out of his grasp. “Newsflash, Father, I’m eighteen now, you can’t tell me what to do. I could legally live on my own if I wanted to, you don’t own me.” Buffy didn’t see it coming, until she felt the sting on her cheek. She reached up to touch the spot where he hit her, noticing the shock on her mother’s face. She felt tears well in her eyes as Hank grabbed her again, pulling her upstairs and throwing her into her room; she lost her balance and fell to the floor.

“Now, you listen to me. I will not have a whore for a daughter. This ends now, and if you go anywhere near that man again, I will have him locked away for a very long time. Don’t underestimate the power I have in this town, it’ll be my word against yours. Do I make myself clear?”

Buffy didn’t answer as he slammed the door shut, locking it behind him. She brought her knees up to her chest, burying her head as she broke out in sobs.


* * * * *


Spike was on Dawn the second she came through the front door, not giving her time to put her bag down.

“Was she there today?”

Dawn let out a sigh. “No, I heard that her parents took her out of school. It doesn’t look good. There’s talk about Buffy being shipped away to Switzerland to finish off her senior year at some all girl boarding school.”

He shook his head. “No, I won’t let that happen. I’m going to her house.”

Dawn stopped him before he could leave. “What good will that do, Dad? Has Buffy told you anything about her parents?”

Spike thought about it, realizing that he knew nothing about them.

Dawn nodded at his silence. “Well, they’re horrible people. Buffy doesn’t talk about her mom much, so I guess she’s not as bad, but her dad is a tyrant. You won’t believe some of the things he’s called her, and that was way before all this happened. He’s emotionally and physically abusive, Buffy tried to take her own life a few years ago because she couldn’t handle it anymore. He’s been having an affair for the last year or so with a woman who’s only nineteen. They’ve moved around a lot, this is probably the longest Buffy has ever stayed in one place. I’m the only one she’s trusted with any of this, and now I’m telling you. Going over there is bound to make things worse, you can’t reason with these people.”

Spike took in this new bit of information, wondering why Buffy never told him any of that. “I have to do something, Dawn. I can’t just let them send her away, not when this is all my fault. I’m the reason she’s in this situation right now, I have to make things right.”

Dawn knew there was no stopping him once he set his mind on something, so she only nodded as he left the house, hoping he knew what he was getting himself into.


* * * * *


Spike arrived at Buffy’s house, noticing that the place looked pretty dark, but knowing it was too early for anyone to be asleep. He had only been there once before to drop Buffy off. He headed over to her bedroom window, climbing the tree outside, and realizing he was too old for that, but it would be worth it to see her. Spike saw that she was lying in bed and tapped on the window quietly as she stirred, then glanced over at him.

Buffy jumped out of bed, moving over to the window to let him in; luckily they had yet to put bars up. “What are you doing here? You could have hurt yourself.”

Nothing seemed to matter in that moment as he took her in his arms, never wanting to let go. “I had to see you,” he said, pulling away to look at her. “Are you okay, baby?” Spike caressed her bruised cheek, feeling such hatred go through him at the thought of her father hitting her.

“I am now,” she whispered, more tears streaming down her face. “You shouldn’t be here. If he catches you…”

Spike cut her off by pressing his lips to hers, resting his head against her forehead. “He won’t, we’re getting out of here.”

Buffy shook her head. “I can’t leave, Spike. He said he would make sure you were locked up if I saw you again. That’s why he’s sending me away, so we won’t be able to be together anymore.”

“Do you want to leave?”

She closed her eyes, leaning in to his touch. “No, I want to stay here with you.”

He smiled. “That works out nicely, then. Don’t worry about what he’ll do to me, the ponce can’t touch me. Come back with me, sweetheart. No one is going to take you away from me, I’ll see to that.”

Buffy nodded without hesitation, picking up the bag she packed earlier, just in case she would manage to escape.

Spike guided her out the window, climbing down the tree first, and then helping her to do the same.

Once they touched the ground, they both ran to his car, driving away from her house and not looking back once.