Chapter 11

Spike grinned at the dark haired woman who opened the door, giving her a hug.

“You’re just as lovely as ever.”

She rolled her eyes, pushing him away. “And you’re still a sweet talker, even when you know it doesn’t work on me. What have you gotten yourself into now, William?”

He took a deep breath. “Could we come in first? Then I’ll explain everything.”

Jenny glanced behind him to see two girls standing there, one of them being her niece. Oh, this was going to be good.


* * * * *


Spike watched Buffy run along the beach with Dawn, Jenny had a perfect view of the ocean from her balcony; you could see everything from there.

“She’s a very pretty girl. A little young, don’t you think?”

He let out a sigh. “Spare me the lecture, all right? I’ve already heard it all. Yes, I’m dating an eighteen-year-old. Yes, we’re madly in love. Yes, I basically kidnapped her from her house and will probably have to deal with the cops now, but I didn’t have a bloody choice. Her father abuses her; he was going to send her to another fucking country. I couldn’t let that happen.

Jenny held her hands up. “Hey, you don’t have to explain anything to me. I get it, but you can’t hide out here forever. Sooner or later, you’re both going to have to deal with this. You can stay for a few days, but that’s the best I can do.”

Spike nodded. “That’s plenty, thank you. I really owe you for this, Jenny.”

She nodded as well, giving him a smile. “You have no idea.”


* * * * *


“Are you sure it was a good idea to tell Faith where we were going? I’m not exactly her favorite person right now.”

Dawn waved a dismissive hand in the air. “She’ll get over it. Faith’s only real problem is the fact my dad chose you, while always ignoring her. He never gave her the time of day, and Faith can’t handle rejection well. It’s not in her nature. She acted the way she did probably out of jealousy.”

Buffy’s eyes widened, wondering how they ever became friends in the first place. She jumped when a pair of strong arms wrapped around her, leaning back against a hard chest, immediately knowing who it was.

“You looked so bloody gorgeous sitting out here in your tiny bikini. I couldn’t resist joining you,” he whispered in her ear.

Dawn scrunched up her nose. “Gross, that’s my cue to leave.”

Spike chuckled. “Sorry, love, I forget that you’re still sensitive about this.”

“Honestly, I should be rewarded for putting up with your nauseating displays, or at least get a raise in my allowance.”

Spike shook his head. “You drive a hard bargain, but I suppose we could work something out.”

Dawn flashed him a huge smile, then took off to go back to Jenny’s house.

“Alone at last,” Spike claimed, trailing his lips down her neck, sucking on her pulse point.

Buffy groaned as she shut her eyes. “Spike, please,” she panted.

“Please what? Believe me, I would love to take you on this beach right now, but with so many eyes around us, I shouldn’t risk it.”

She slapped his chest. “Then stop teasing me.”

He laughed, pressing a kiss to her cheek and holding her closer, speaking up a moment later. “Why didn’t you ever tell me about your father?”

Buffy knew he was bound to bring that up at some point, taking a deep breath. “It’s not something I care to talk about. I didn’t think you needed to know.”

Spike turned her to look at him. “Of course I needed to know, Buffy. I love you; it kills me to know what you’ve been living with. That he’s been hurting you this whole time, and I could never do anything about it.”

“I’m sorry. I wanted to tell you, but I never knew how. I’ve always envied your relationship with Dawn. Yeah, I know things haven’t always been perfect, but it’s so obvious how much you care for her. I’ve never had that. My dad always wanted a boy and because I wasn’t one, he hated me since the day I was born. Like it was my fault I wasn’t born with a penis, they tried to have more kids after that, but they weren’t able to. So, he was stuck with a daughter that he never wanted. And my mom? She’s spent most of her marriage terrified of him; she would let him do anything he wanted to me, never doing anything to stop him because she was too afraid of him turning on her. She’s known about his affair practically since the beginning, and never once did anything about it. She’s such a coward; I never want to be like that. No matter what I did, it was never good enough, so I just stopped trying. I started acting out, hanging with the wrong crowd, screwing up in school. They had to move me around so much; you don’t know how hard it was for me to even get into Sunnydale High. I promised myself that things would change once I got there, that I would finally put my past behind me. Of course, the past always has a way of following you,” she finished, gazing into his eyes.

Spike’s hold on her tightened. “He’s a bloody moron, love. When I first laid eyes on Dawn, I was a goner. She was the most precious thing in my world, and that’s how it should have been for your father. You always love your children no matter what. I’m so sorry you had to grow up thinking you weren’t loved.”

Buffy sniffled, not even realizing that she was crying until then. “I didn’t even know what love was until I met you.”

Spike captured her lips with his, holding her close as she rested against his shoulder. He would do whatever he could to protect her.


* * * * *


“Thank God, they’re not having sex. They’re just sitting out there.”

Jenny smiled. “Well, I’m sure even your father knows better than to have sex on a public beach.”

She gave her aunt a look. “You remember how I was conceived, right?”

“Good point, your mother was very adventurous, but I see some shyness in Buffy.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Oh, yeah, she’s real shy.”

Jenny took her hand, sitting her down at the table. “How do you really feel about all of this, honey?”

Dawn shrugged. “I admit it’s still really weird, but I’ve decided to accept them being together. I wouldn’t want my dad to be miserable, and he’s been really happy lately. Besides, if they ever do get married, at least I know that I already like my step-mother. We can share clothes and everything.”

Jenny patted her hand. “That’s a good spirit, but I doubt either one is thinking about marriage right now.”

Dawn agreed, looking back out at the beach, smiling when she realized that they really did look good together. She supposed her father could do worse.