Chapter 12

Buffy paled when they reached Spike’s house, after dropping Dawn off at Faith’s for the night. There was a man standing outside the house, one that she knew all too well.

Spike could imagine by her reaction alone who the man was, so he took her hand in his and gave it a light squeeze. “It’s okay, baby. Let’s just get this over with.”

They got out of the car, Buffy never letting Spike’s hand go.

Hank Summers scowled at them. “Did you think I wouldn’t find you? We’re going home now,” he spat, trying to grab for Buffy, but Spike pulled her away.

“You’re not taking her anywhere, mate. I want you off my property.”

“Who the hell are you to tell me what I can and can’t do with my own daughter? You’re nothing but a sick fuck, you know that? You get off on pleasuring little girls? I’ll have your ass locked in jail for a long time,” he fumed.

Spike wasn’t about to let the older man intimidate him, so he stood his ground.

“God, that’s it!” Buffy exclaimed, putting herself in between the two men. “I want you to stay away from me, Dad. I’m never going back with you, so get over it. I don’t even know why you’re bothering with this, since you hate me so much. I’m actually doing you a favor by staying away, so just leave us alone.”

Hank wouldn’t let the little brat talk back to him, but a grin suddenly formed on his face when a police car showed up. “It looks like your time is up. I had your mother call the cops and send them over here. Your little boyfriend is gonna end up being someone else’s bitch once he’s in jail. Kidnapping, rape, I could go on and on.”

Buffy’s hold on Spike tightened, not about to let him go without a fight.

Two cops stepped out of the car, heading over to them.

Hank pointed at Spike. “He’s the one you want, officers.”

They stared at each other, then at the man who spoke. “I’m Detective Wood; this is my partner, Charles Gunn. We’re looking for Hank Summers.”

His eyes widened. “What do you want with me?”

Wood moved closer to him. “Do you know a Janice Avery?”

Hank nodded. “Yeah, she was my secretary. What of it?”

“We’re led to believe she was more than that, sir. We were contacted by Janice’s parents, who were informed that you might have had a relationship with their daughter, so they looked through her room and found quite a few pictures, and a videotape of the two of you in very intimate situations, the girl is only fifteen-years-old. Are you aware that child pornography is illegal?”

Buffy gasped at this new bit of information, but remained silent.

Hank was appalled. “The little bitch lied to me; she had me believing that she was nineteen. This is not my fault.”

“You’re going to have to come with us, Mr. Summers,” Gunn said, moving to cuff the agitated man.

“This is an outrage! You’ll be hearing from my lawyer!” Hank was cut off as he was shoved into the police car, the door closing behind him.

“Are you two all right?” Wood asked them.

Buffy nodded, still in a state of shock. “Yeah, what’s going to happen to him?”

“I would imagine a long time behind bars, the parents of that young girl aren’t going to make things easy for him.”

Spike rubbed Buffy’s back in comfort. “Thank you, officer.”

“You two have a nice night,” he said, then got in the police car and drove off.

Buffy sighed in relief once they were gone, burying her head against Spike’s chest. “I can’t believe this. How could my dad do something like that? Whether he knew how old she was or not, that’s just so disturbing. This is something else I didn’t need, I’ll be known as the daughter of a pedophile now. I really can’t ever show my face in that school again, or anywhere else for that matter. I’m gonna need to put a bag over my head for the rest of my life.”

He chuckled. “It would be a crime to cover such a pretty face. Don’t worry about it, love. I’m sure it’ll all blow over; this will ruin your dad’s reputation more than yours. They might stop talking about us now.”

“Something to look forward to,” she mumbled, pulling away when another car drove up to the house, an older woman stepping out of it.

“Buffy, are you okay?”

She grasped his hand again. “I’m fine, Mom. What are you doing here?”

“I saw the police drive away; I figured they had your father. I’m so sorry about all of this. He wanted me to call them to take your friend, but I couldn’t do it.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “So, you had Dad arrested instead? How did you even know what he was up to?”

Joyce took a deep breath. “I’ve had my suspicions for quite some time now. I know this can’t make up for all that we’ve done, but I figured it was a start. I couldn’t let him get away with it anymore. I’m so sorry for what he’s put you through, honey. I was a horrible mother, I just stood by and let him hurt you because I was so scared of standing up for myself, but that will never happen again. I’m so very sorry.”

Buffy was shocked when her mother hugged her. Joyce Summers never had shown her that much emotion before. She wasn’t sure how to handle it, but found herself returning the embrace, crying into her mother’s hair without even realizing it.

They pulled away after a moment, both wiping the tears from their face.

Joyce then acknowledged the man standing with her daughter. “You must be Spike; it’s nice to finally meet you.”

He raised his eyebrows, taking the hand that the older woman offered to him. “Nice to meet you, too.”

“I just want you both to know that I won’t be getting in your way. You’re an adult now, Buffy, and it’s time I realized that. I’m selling the house and moving back to LA to stay with my sister for the time being. You, of course, are welcome to stay here. I wouldn’t make you leave, and I want you to know I never agreed with your father about sending you to Switzerland. I should probably get down to the station now; and see about filing for a divorce.”

Buffy watched her walk away, calling to her one more time. “Thanks, Mom.”

She smiled at her only child, then got in her car and drove away.

Buffy wrapped her arms around Spike, pleased to know that they were finally free to be together. “I don’t think I’ve ever been so tired in my life. I have the most dysfunctional family ever. I can’t wait to meet your parents.”

“They’re dead, love.”

She groaned. “God, you’re so lucky.”

Spike laughed, picking her up and carrying her into the house, while she giggled along the way.