Chapter 14

“Dad, I can’t breathe.”

He let her go, giving her an apologetic look. “Sorry, sweetheart, this is just hard for me.”

“I know, but I’ll be fine, and I plan on visiting every other week or so. I’ll be around so much you’ll start getting sick of me,” Dawn explained.

“No chance of that,” Spike responded.

Dawn glanced at Buffy. “You’re coming over next weekend, right? I need a girl’s night.”

She nodded. “Yep, I wouldn’t miss it.”

That worried Spike even more. “Just avoid frat boys, both of you.”

“Now, what would I want with a college boy when I have you?” Buffy said, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“And to that an extreme see you later,” Dawn commented, giving them both one more hug. “Try not to break all the furniture with your sexcapades,” she said with a wink, then left the house.

He grinned. “How do you still blush with everything we’ve done?”

Buffy shrugged. “It still takes some getting used to. Hey, what do you think about turning Dawn’s room into a nursery?”

Spike paled, moving away from her. “Are you serious? Tell me you’re not serious?” he practically pleaded.

Buffy was surprised by his reaction. “I was just kidding.”

He sighed in relief, then glared at her. “That wasn’t bloody funny.”

“Wow, tell me how you really feel. It’s nice to know that you find the idea of having kids with me so horrible.”

Spike shook his head. “I’m sorry, love, that came out wrong. It’s just, I’m nearly forty. I’m not interested in having any more kids.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “Don’t I get a say in this? You never told me you felt that way. I’m only eighteen, Spike. I’ve always planned on having children when I got older.”

“Well, then maybe you should find someone younger,” he spat, instantly regretting it when he noticed the hurt expression on her face, but she didn’t give him a chance to explain.

“I don’t want to argue about this right now. We’ll discuss it later; I have to get to work.”

He grabbed her arm. “Love, come on, I don’t want you to leave upset at me. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way I feel. I guess I was hoping that kids wouldn’t be important to you.”

“I guess you thought wrong, because it is important to me. I have to go.”

Spike let her walk away that time, hoping they could work this out. He didn’t want to lose her over this.


* * * * *


“God, I can’t feel my feet.”

Angel chuckled. “Rough day?”

Buffy smiled. “Spoken like a true bartender, but since my boyfriend hates you, I don’t think I’ll be telling you any of my problems.”

He nodded, a smirk on his face. “I didn’t think you would, so, what has my old friend told you about me?”

“Nothing much yet, but I have a feeling you were never friends.”

“Oh, we were,” Angel claimed, “best friends in fact, but things change. I’ll let him tell you. Although, I’m sure his version will make me seem a lot worse than I am.”

“It’s getting late, you two can take off now,” Ben said, making his way over to them.

Buffy sighed in relief. “Thank God,” she replied, amending herself at the look on her boss’ face. “Not that I want to leave or anything. I love this job, really glad to be here.”

He held his hand up. “It’s all right, Buffy, I get it. You’re doing a great job, keep up the good work.”

She beamed at that.

Angel glared at Ben’s retreating back, but anything he would have said was put on hold at the arrival of another man. “Oh, look, the boyfriend’s here. If you wanna get back at him for whatever he did to you, making out with me would really do the trick.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “It’s never gonna happen,” she told him, then headed over to Spike, who immediately took her in his arms and kissed her.

“I’m so sorry, love. I’ve been going out of my bloody mind ever since you left earlier today. I don’t want you to be mad at me.”

She let out a breath. “I’m not mad. I get why you wouldn’t want any more kids, but it’s still important to me. I’ve never had that, and I’ve always wanted to be a mother. Don’t ask me why, seeing as how my home life was never that great, but I’ve always loved kids.”

He nodded. “Okay, I’ll think about it. Sometimes I wish I was twenty years younger, give you everything you deserve.”

Buffy wrapped her arms around him, pecking him tenderly on the lips. “You already have.”


* * * * *


“So, why do you hate Angel so much? Yeah, he’s a total perv, but he’s been nice to me at work.”

Spike sat up in bed, taking in a deep breath. “He’s a charmer, that one. We were best mates in high school and all through college, but we would constantly compete with each other. Whatever I had, he had to have as well. And then I met Drusilla, she was dark, mysterious, everything I wanted in a woman. Of course, Angel had an eye for her, too. We were dating for six months when I went to surprise her at her dorm room, and found them in bed together. Drusilla was mortified, but Angel didn’t even seem to care. I avoided both of them after that. Dru wouldn’t leave me alone, though. She kept coming around telling me how sorry she was, and that I was the only one she loved. I was bloody crazy about her, so I forgave her and we got back together. It was a little after that when she told me she was pregnant, and I admit, my first thought was if I was even the father. Thankfully the baby was mine, not that I would have loved her any less, but a year later we were married. I never even told Dawn any of that. As for Angel, I never saw the ponce again, not until I ran into him at the Bronze on your first day. I would have been happy to never see the wanker again. He fucking sleeps with my girlfriend, and then just takes off, he never even cared to apologize and try to get our friendship back, which proved we obviously weren’t very good friends to begin with. That’s why I got so crazy about you working with him, I know what Angel’s like.”

Buffy took it all in. “Well, that was a long time ago, maybe he’s changed.”

Spike shook his head. “Not Angel, he never changes. Promise me that you’ll stay away from him, please? If he talks to you, just go the other way. I know everything worked out with Drusilla in the end, we had twelve wonderful years together, but I don’t want to lose you to that prat.”

Buffy touched his arm gently. “You won’t lose me, Spike. I’m not interested in Angel, or anyone else. You’re the only one for me.”

That gave him some reassurance as he took her in his arms, smothering her with kisses. No matter what, Spike would never let her go.