Chapter 15

“You have to tell him, Buffy.”

She let out a sigh. “I know, but it’s just not the right time.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “He’s going to find out sooner or later. You can’t exactly keep something like this a secret.”

Buffy nodded. “I’m not planning on it, but hey, we’re supposed to be having a girl’s night, let’s save the serious conversations for another time.”

Dawn decided to let it go for now, jumping up when someone knocked on her door.

“Hey, girlies, sorry I’m late,” Faith said, plopping herself down next to Buffy and grabbing for the popcorn that was in front of her. “What the fuck are you watching? The Notebook? Are you shitting me? Don’t tell me I arrived just in time for you two to have yourselves a cry fest, isn’t there a frat party this weekend? I’m here to have some fun.”

Dawn glared at her, grabbing for the popcorn. “It was just supposed to be us girls tonight. I promised my dad that I would avoid any campus parties. He knows what those are like.”

“Yeah, I bet he does, but newsflash, Pratt, your old man isn’t here. What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him; you seriously need to lighten up. Well, I’m getting out of here. You losers can join me if you want. I plan on finding me a nice college man to hook up with,” she said with a wink, then left the room.

Dawn and Buffy exchanged looks. “We better follow after her, there’s no telling what kind of trouble Faith could get into.”

That was the last thing Buffy wanted to do, but didn’t have much of a choice as she left the dorm with Dawn.


* * * * *


They watched as Faith chugged down a beer, or four, and then jumped on some jock, who she was now making out with for all to see.

“God, she has no shame,” Dawn commented.

Buffy agreed. “I feel really weird about being here.” She dodged a drunken frat guy, who collided into her, nearly knocking her down in the process as she clutched her stomach protectively. “I can’t be here, Dawn.”

The brunette gazed at her friend, seeing the distressed look on her face. “Right, let’s go, Faith can find her own way home.”

“Well, if it isn’t slutty Summers? I didn’t think the old man would let you out.”

Buffy groaned, never wanting to lay eyes on Parker Abrams again. Who would have thought the moron could actually get accepted into college?

Dawn grabbed her arm, pulling Buffy out of there and shoving Parker on the way. “Jackass, don’t listen to him.”

They got back to the dorm room, and Buffy immediately sat on Dawn’s bed, taking in a deep breath.

“Are you okay?”

She nodded. “Yeah, sorry, just too many people.”

Dawn nodded as well. “Maybe we should just turn in now,” she said.

Buffy shook her head. “It’s still early; you can go back to the party if you want. I’ll be fine by myself.”

“I’m not gonna leave you alone, don’t worry about it. That kind of party is not exactly my style, anyway,” she explained.

They both lay down, staring up at the ceiling, Dawn breaking the silence a minute later.

“You really love my dad, don’t you?”

Buffy smiled, thinking about her boyfriend. “More than anything.”

Dawn was satisfied by that answer, and it didn’t take them long to fall asleep.


* * * * *


“I take it you didn’t enjoy your little glimpse into college life, huh?”

Buffy shook her head, snuggling up at Spike’s side. “Really didn’t, I actually thought I was missing out, but honestly? I think I got the better deal. What’s the point? It’s not like anyone actually goes to college to study and make something of their life. It’s nothing but a big party to them, luckily Dawn isn’t like that. You did a great job with her.”

Spike felt pride at those words. “Well, I can’t take all the credit. I had some help after all, but yeah, she’s a great kid.”

“Young woman,” Buffy corrected him.

He held his hands up, a smile curving his lips. “My mistake.”

“Why am I so tired? I feel like I could sleep for a week.”

Spike ran his fingers through her hair. “Sorry, is that my fault? You were just gone all weekend and I missed you,” he said with a pout.

Buffy grinned. “Oh, I’m definitely not complaining about that.”

“You rest now, I’ll make you a big breakfast in the morning, serve it right in bed.”

It was a sweet gesture, but the idea of food really didn’t appeal to her at the moment.


* * * * *


“Hey, are you feeling okay?”

Buffy nodded, giving Angel a small smile. “I’m fine, just probably coming down with something.”

He rubbed her shoulders, surprised when she let out a little moan. “Is that better?”

“Much,” she responded in a daze, before realizing how very close he was to her. “Okay, I think it’s time to get back to work now.”

Angel watched her go, as if she couldn’t get away from him fast enough.

Ben chuckled, joining him a few seconds later. “Are you sweet on her? She doesn’t seem to be all that interested.”

“No, it’s not like that. I’m just looking out for her. She’s dating a former friend of mine.”

Ben nodded. “That Spike guy, right? I thought you two weren’t exactly close anymore.”

“We’re not, but I’m trying to make up for that,” he responded.

Ben raised his eyebrows. “By hitting on his girl? I think you’re going about it the wrong way, but it’s getting late, your shift ended twenty minutes ago.”

Angel watched Buffy serve her last table. “Yeah, but I’m not ready to leave yet.”

Ben rolled his eyes. “Look, I own this place now, and you both work for me, I don’t want you to cause any trouble for her. She’s still new to all of this. Besides, I know how you are with women, Angel. I don’t want her boyfriend to come storming the place and causing problems just because you got a little too friendly with his girl, just go home.”

Something didn’t feel right to Angel, but he obeyed, grabbing his jacket and heading out of the now empty club.

Buffy made her way back over to the bar; sighing in relief that Angel was no longer there. “I guess I should get going, too.”

“Are you sure you should be driving right now, Buffy? You look exhausted, just rest for a second and have a drink. You’re no good to anyone if you get into an accident.”

She knew he was right, smiling when he placed a diet coke in front of her. “Thanks, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to stick around for a few more minutes.” Buffy took a long sip of her drink, putting it back down. It didn’t take long for her queasiness to come back, and it seemed to hit her worse than usual. “God, my head is killing me. I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately.”

Ben took the glass away, brushing the hair out of her face to see that she was trying to stay conscious, but it was a losing battle. A slow grin formed on his features. “Don’t worry; I’ll make it all better.”