Chapter 4

“There’s no bloody way!”

Dawn crossed her arms over her chest. “What’s the big deal? It’s just one date, I never get to go out with guys, yet you can have anyone you want come over. Do I ever say anything?”

Spike glared at her. “That’s different, I’m not sixteen. You’re too young to be dating.”

She rolled her eyes. “That’s such a lame excuse. I’m not a little kid anymore. Connor’s really nice, I’ve liked him for a while now and he finally asked me out. Besides, look on the bright side, you would get the house to yourself for a few hours if you wanted to invite your girlfriend over.”

He raised his eyebrows. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m not stupid, Dad. I know you’ve been seeing someone, and this one you’ve actually been keeping from me, so that must mean you really like her. Can I go? Please?”

Spike hated the puppy dog eyes. He hadn’t wanted to give in, but one look at her quivering lip had him admitting defeat. “Fine, but I’ll be meeting him first.”

She smiled and gave him a quick hug. “Thanks, you’re the best.”

Spike let out a sigh as she headed upstairs. Sure, she said that now, but it was all about to change.


* * * * *


“What is he really like? Should I have a shotgun ready?”

Buffy laughed, snuggling up at his side. “I don’t think you have to worry about Connor. He’s a sweet guy, and he practically idolizes Dawn. She’s in good hands.”

“Better not be too good,” he mumbled.

She pecked him on the lips. “Look at you, all worried about your daughter going out on her first date. How adorable is that?”

Spike moved on top of her, pinning her arms above her head. “Not bloody adorable,” he stated, smashing his lips to hers in a passionate kiss.

Buffy gasped when his cock drove into her, ripping her lips away to catch her breath. “Right, not adorable, fucking sexy.”

He grinned. “And you better not forget it.”


* * * * *


“Come on, I know it’s in here somewhere. He always keeps the best DVDs hidden from me.”

Connor glanced around at his surroundings. “I feel really weird being in your dad’s room, Dawn. What if he catches us?”

She shook her head, finally locating what she was looking for. “Don’t worry about it, he’s working late tonight. We should be able to watch the movie and have it back in here before he even gets home.” Something shiny on the bed caught her eye and she moved over to pick it up, her eyes widening when she recognized it.

“What’s wrong?” he wondered when she got quiet.

Dawn pocketed the item, giving him a look. “Nothing, let’s get out of here.”

Connor was confused, but quietly followed after her.


* * * * *


“Hey, love, I wasn’t expecting to see you today.”

Buffy gave him a smile as she entered the house. “Dawn invited me over; I guess she forgot to mention it. She sounded kind of weird on the phone, I hope everything’s okay.”

Spike shrugged and led Buffy in to the living room where Dawn was waiting, a hard expression on her face.

Buffy was confused by the look she was giving her. “Is something wrong?”

Dawn threw a necklace down at her feet. “Why don’t you tell me?”

Buffy’s eyes widened when she noticed that it was her locket, touching her neck as if to just realize that it was missing.

“I found this in my dad’s room. Care to explain why?” she asked, already having a feeling what the answer would be.

“What were you doing in my room? You know it’s off limits.”

Dawn gave out a short laugh. “Now I know why, and don’t change the subject.”

Spike took a deep breath. “Buffy came over the other day. She needed to borrow one of my books, so I let her take a look at them. It must have just fallen off.”

“Don’t lie to me!” Dawn yelled. “You must think I’m pretty damn stupid. All this time, and right under my nose, I can’t believe I never figured it out. How long has this been going on?”

Spike was prepared to tell another lie that she would hopefully believe, but Buffy beat him to it.

“Almost two months,” she claimed quietly.

Spike turned to her, only to find that she was avoiding his gaze.

“Two months?! God, you’re both completely twisted. I know you’ve been around the block a few million times, Dad, but I never thought you would stoop so low as to screw a teenager, and someone that was my best friend? You’re sick, you know that? And you,” she continued, pointing at Buffy. “I trusted you and all this time you’ve been lying to me, going behind my back to fuck my father? Have you been pretending to be my friend just to get closer to him? I don’t even want to know you anymore. You’re nothing but a conniving skank.”

“All right, that’s enough! You have no bloody right to talk that way to her! What I do in my personal life is none of your business, Dawn.”

She wiped angrily at the tears that were suddenly in her eyes. “It figures you would take her side. You’ve always chosen your conquests over me.”

Spike tried to control his temper, speaking softer now. “I know you’re upset, but I’m still your father and deserve some respect.”

Dawn glared at him, shaking her head. “I could never respect someone like you. Mom would be disgusted if she could see you now,” with that said, she stormed upstairs, slamming her bedroom door behind her.

Spike shut his eyes tight, opening them a moment later to stare at Buffy, who had tears streaming down her face. “Sweetheart,” he said, trying to grab for her, his heart breaking when she jerked away from him.

“I…I have to go,” she told him, her voice sounding distant.

“Buffy, love, I know everything seems bad now, but it’ll work out.”

She shook her head, giving him a sad look. “You should talk to her. I have to get out of here. I’m sorry.”

Spike let her go then, watching with a heavy heart as she ran out of the house, never looking back. He picked up her fallen locket, holding it close to his chest as he thought about what to do next. Both of his girls were hurting and one way or another, he would find a way to fix things. Spike would be damned if he was going to lose either one of them. That just wasn’t an option.