Chapter 6

It had been weeks since Dawn left, everyone at school talked about her sudden departure, but luckily for Buffy, no one knew the real reason of why. As for Spike, she hadn't seen much of him since Dawn took off, but she knew he must be devastated. He was so convinced that his daughter wouldn't leave. She was afraid to go over there, afraid to see the state Spike was in. Buffy hated staying away from him, but knew it was the right decision. They just didn't have a future together, and she had to accept that. Her cell phone suddenly rang as she left the school; she answered it quickly, and frowned when she didn’t recognize the voice on the other end.

“Is this Buffy Summers?”

“Yes, who is this?” she responded, confusion lacing her tone.

“Willy, I work at the Bronze. Listen, there’s a guy here who’s completely hammered. I cut him off, but he doesn’t seem to be in a very good place. He gave me this number.”

Buffy let out the breath she’d been holding. “I’ll be right there.”


* * * * *


She entered the Bronze, heading to the bar to see Spike slumped over it.

“God, how much did you drink?”

Spike looked up at her, a dazed expression on his face. “It’s my pretty girl, but no, you’re not my girl, are you?” He burst in an uncontrollable laughter, tears forming in his eyes.

“Okay, it’s time to get you out of here,” she said, taking him by the arm and leading him outside.

He sniffed her hair. “Always smell so good.”

She scrunched up her nose. “And you really don’t, is drinking the answer to everything with you?”

“I wanted the pain to go away.”

Buffy felt for him, helping him into her car and away from the club.


* * * * *


Spike let out a sigh when she got him on the couch, laying his head back.

“I’m being punished, aren’t I? I’m a horrible person. I drove my daughter away, I had an affair with a teenage girl, I deserve everything that I get.”

Buffy sat down next to him. “You’re not a horrible person. If you are, then so am I. Dawn will come back, I’m sure of it.”

He glanced at her. “Will you come back?”

Buffy didn’t know how to answer that. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”

Spike caressed her cheek. “I miss you, Buffy. I know you have to feel the same way.”

She closed her eyes, leaning in to his touch. “I do, but we can’t be together. You know that.”

“No, I don’t. All I know is that I’m going crazy without you.” His lips met hers then, and all conversation was brought to a stop.

Buffy knew that it was wrong, he was drunk and depressed, but she was never able to stop him when he touched her like that.

Spike pushed her back on the couch, getting on top of her, not breaking the kiss for a second.

Clothes were removed and hastily thrown to the floor before Spike slowly slid into her, ripping his lips away to bury his face in her neck. “Never get enough of you,” he whispered. “Please, don’t leave me.”

Buffy’s heart broke a little at his pleading tone. She ran her hands down his back, meeting his every thrust.

“I love you. God, I love you so much.”

Tears sprang to her eyes at his confession, knowing he wasn’t only saying this because he was drunk. “I love you, too,” she responded, there was no sense in denying it anymore.

Spike gave her a smile, sighing in relief as he nuzzled her throat.

They made love all night, moving up to his room after a little while.

Spike cuddled her to his side, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

Buffy breathed heavily against his chest. “I don’t think I’ll be able to walk ever again.”

He chuckled. “Mission accomplished, then.”

“Yeah, I just bet you’re proud of yourself.”

Spike turned serious as he gazed down at her. “I never told you, but that one night we spent together in LA, it was the best of my life. I’ve had my share of women, but I’ve never connected to anyone before the way I did with you. Hell, you had me believing in love at first sight, which normally is something I would have mocked. When you left the next morning, I was distraught thinking I would never see you again. I admit, finding out you were only seventeen was a shock, but that didn’t change anything. I haven’t felt this way since my wife died, I never thought I would again. I hope that doesn’t scare you.”

Buffy took a deep breath. “Not scared, just overwhelmed. You make me feel like no one else, like I’m actually worth something.”

“You’re worth everything,” he whispered, pressing his lips to hers gently.

“But what about Dawn? She’ll never come back if she knows we’re together. I don’t think she can ever accept this.”

“I’ll call her tomorrow. I hope she can find a way to accept it, because I’m not about to let you go. No matter what.”


* * * * *


“Sweetheart, please come home. We need to talk about this in person. I really miss you.”

Dawn sighed on the other line. “Why would you even want me there? You hardly ever noticed me before, all you cared about was your girlfriends.”

Spike shut his eyes, opening them a second later. “I’m sorry for that, but you have to know how much I love you. I haven’t been a very good father, but I’m willing to try if you’ll give me another chance?”

“I want to, but it’s too weird knowing you’re dating someone my age. How am I supposed to handle that? I’m not saying I’ll never come home, but I need more time. I need to be on my own for a while. I do love you, Dad; this is just too hard for me. I hope you can understand.”

He nodded, even though she couldn’t see him. “All right, I can accept that. Just be safe, and call me any time you want, I’ll be here. I love you, princess.”

Dawn felt choked up, he hadn’t called her that since she was little. “I love you, too.”

She hung up then, and Spike did the same.

Buffy came into the room. “How did it go?”

“Better than I thought it would, but she needs more time.”

Buffy nodded and sat down on his lap. “We figured as much. It’ll be okay; she’ll come back when she’s ready.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her, pecking the tip of her nose and deciding to change the subject. “So, you didn’t tell me what you wanted for your birthday.”

She only smiled. “Surprise me.”