Chapter 8

Buffy knew everyone was talking about her when she entered school the next day, but she wasn’t about to let the whispering get to her. She just took a deep breath and headed to her locker, stopping suddenly at the sight in front of her. Someone had written the word ‘whore’ on her locker door with spray paint. Buffy was not about to cry, so she just opened it and placed her books inside, ignoring the whispering that continued to go on around her.

“God, I can’t believe she has the nerve to show her face around here. Fucking slut, she should just go back to LA where she belongs,” a brunette sneered, shoving Buffy as she walked by her, a group of girls tagging along like sheep.

Buffy watched them go, feeling tears form in her eyes, but she was not about to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing her cry.

“Hey, Summers?”

Buffy stopped at the voice, turning around to see Parker Abrams, wondering how much more torment she should expect to deal with. “What do you want?”

Parker shrugged. “Seeing as how you’re such an easy lay, I think you know. Is that why you won’t give anyone in school the time of day? You like to fuck old guys? I bet I could make you forget all about him,” he claimed, trailing his hand down her arm.

She moved away from him. “I would never let you touch me.”

He laughed. “Don’t worry, it’s not like I’d want to; there’s no telling how many diseases you may have. I hear that Dawn’s father gets around, you sure he’s not screwing someone else on the side? I mean, come on, what could he possibly want with a high school chick?”

Even though Buffy knew Parker didn’t have a clue about anything, she was finding it harder to keep the tears at bay.

“Are you gonna cry now? That’s just pathetic.”

Buffy had enough. “Just leave me alone,” she spat, walking away from him, only to bump in to Riley Finn. Just what she needed.

“Hey, can we talk?”

“Look, I’ve had enough crap to last me a lifetime, okay? I don’t need you to make me feel even worse,” she told him.

Riley shook his head. “I wanted to apologize, I’m sorry that this happened. I saw you and Mr. Pratt outside his house the other day. I was just driving by, and I got a bit jealous when I saw him kiss you. I was upset that you turned me down, even more so to find out why. I told a friend about you two, someone that I thought I could trust. I told him not to say anything, but he ended up telling his girlfriend, who happens to be the biggest gossip in school. I’m really sorry, Buffy. I may not exactly understand your relationship, but I had no right to say anything about it.”

“I don’t believe this. My life is ruined right now just because you were jealous?” She walked away, not watching where she was going again, until she crashed in to another body, one that belonged to the head cheerleader. Could her life possibly get any worse?

“Watch where you’re going, slut.”

A crowd formed then, and Buffy just wanted to crawl inside a black hole and never leave.

“So, Summers, we’ve all been dying to know. How big is Mr. Pratt’s dick? He must be hung like a racehorse.”

Laughter rang out through the halls.

“Shut up,” Buffy snapped.

“Oh, nice comeback. Does Spike know what a complete loser you really are? Do you think he actually cares about you? The guy could have anyone he wants; maybe I might give him a go.”

Buffy was openly crying now as everyone around her started to chant ‘Summers is a whore,’ noticing that the exit was blocked and she couldn’t find a way to escape without going through the crowd of tormenters.

“That’s enough!” a voice rang out, loud enough for everyone to hear as they all stopped chanting.

Buffy turned to the newcomer, shock written on her features at the sight of Dawn, who hurried over to her.

“Leave her alone; don’t you people have lives of your own?”

“How can you stick up for her? She’s boinking your old man,” another student commented.

Dawn rolled her eyes. “That doesn’t concern any of you. It’s between me, Buffy, and my dad. For your information, they’re in love and didn’t begin seeing each other until she turned eighteen, so there’s nothing wrong with it. I left because I heard of an Art program in LA that I wanted to try out, I was already ahead of the rest of my class because of extra credit activities, so I took the opportunity to get away for a while. Buffy’s my friend, and she’s a good person. She doesn’t deserve any of this and if I hear anyone saying something bad to her again, you’ll have me to deal with.” She pulled Buffy away and out of the school, Faith following behind them after she witnessed the whole thing.

“I know that wasn’t true, Dawn. How can you support this?”

She turned to her friend, taking in a deep breath. “I’ve had a lot of time to think, and I realized something that I didn’t take in to consideration before. My dad is happy; this is the first time in years that I’ve seen him smile. Really smile, and not just put on a fake one to make me feel better. How can I get in the way of that?”

Faith held up her hands, not about to argue anymore. “Fine, you guys better get out of here. If I were you, B, I would take a few weeks off.”

Dawn sighed when the dark haired girl headed back to the school, turning to the blonde next to her, who had tears streaming down her face.

“I can’t believe you did that after everything I put you through. Whether I make your dad happy or not, I’m a horrible person. I deserve everything they said to me, and so much more. I can’t go back in there.”

Dawn nodded. “It’s okay; just give it a few days. I’m sure the whole thing will blow over soon.”

Buffy shook her head. “No, I can’t ever go back there. Nothing will ever be the same again, Dawn. It took only a day for the news to spread around the whole school, how long will it be before it’s the whole town? If it’s not already, I can’t be here anymore. My parents have practically disowned me, I’ve lost my friends, and there’s a pretty big chance that your dad could get thrown in jail.”

“That won’t happen. The police already came to my house. I told them that the whole thing started after you were of legal age, and it wasn’t rape like your parents tried to charge him of. It’ll be okay, just come back with me. I know my dad would like to see you, he’s been really worried. You heard my speech about him being happy, right? I wasn’t just saying that, it’s true, which means you can’t leave him. I won’t let you.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what Dawn was saying after everything that happened. She really was an amazing friend, one that Buffy didn’t deserve, but would be grateful every day that she had her. She nodded after a moment, letting Dawn lead her away from the school. If Buffy had her way, she would never set foot in that building again.