Chapter 15



A group of Watchers arrived in Sunnydale just in time to learn their leader was a victim of a robbery gone bad, and the perpetrator was dead when he got between two ‘gangs on PCP’ having a rumble. The meeting with the Slayers wasn’t going as well as expected either.



“The only one we’ll listen to is Giles.” Buffy shook her head at the Watchers’ demands.



Faith nodded her own agreement.



“You don’t need these arses dictatin’ your life.” Spike sauntered into the room with Lawson on his heels. “We’re holdin’ all the cards, and they’re nothing but researchers at your beck and call, Slayers.”



“Who are you?” A tall statuesque woman with dusky skin stood up.



“William the Bloody is m’name. Who are you?”



The committee gasped in terror. There wasn’t one of them that hadn’t heard of William the Bloody. They glanced at the nonchalant Slayers. What was the infamous vampire doing with the Slayers anyway? Why hadn’t they done their duty and staked the vampire?



Buffy rolled her eyes. “Spike, this is Beverly Palmetto from the Watcher’s Council.” She introduced the woman who had asked Spike’s identity. “The others are Wesley’s father Roger, Reggie Bey, and Lydia Chambers.”



“He’s a Slayer killer,” Roger said in a pompous voice. He hoped this information prompted the Slayers to do their job.



Spike preened under the attention. “Glad to see my rep proceeds me, but I hate to you, pillock. The last Slayer I killed was by Council contract.”



“You lie!” Roger yelled. “The Council would never kill their Slayer.”



“Then what do you call the Cruciamentum?” Buffy asked.



Roger ignored the blond Slayer while he pointed at Spike. “You don’t have proof of any involvement by the Council in your murder of Nikki Wood.”



“Except me and Bernie here.” Nikki stepped into the room on Bernard Crowley’s arm. She hadn’t really planned on exposing her existence, but she didn’t like her family’s savior being called a liar. “The Council wanted me dead because I found my vampire mate.”



“What are you talking about?” Reginald spoke up.



“Show them, Giles.”



Giles produced photocopies of the reference pages from the book that Buffy and Willow had found. He and the others waited while the Watcher committee read though the pages.



Beverly looked up first. “Is this for real?”



Buffy went to Spike, and she slipped her arm around his waist. “When Giles told me there would be no babies in my future, it broke my heart. Willow did the ritual for me ,and it brought Spike to me. We’re going to have a baby in about nine months.”



“I’m tired of hiding from you.” Nikki shook her head. “I think between Buffy, Faith, and I, we can change everything. The tide against evil will be changed.”



“Our children are Slayers,” Buffy said. “The boys too.”



Roger stared at Buffy. “How could you possibly know that?”



“I already have children,” Nikki replied. She changed back to the original subject in an abrupt manner. “I want Giles to be in charge with Bernie as his second in command.”



Roger studied the faces of those around him. He hated change, but he could see the resolve in the Slayers’ eyes. Plus, he’d seen what had happened to Travers’ mercs. The Slayers might not like to hurt humans, but Roger was sure their mates had no such qualms. He silently questioned Travers’ supposed death at the hands of a robber.



“We’re just a committee. We can’t speak for everybody,” Roger said.



“I think the Council can use some shaking up,” Beverly replied. “I was a potential once upon a time, and now I’m a Watcher. I’ve been on more than one side of the issue. If you will accept me, I am willing to be a liaison between the old Council and the new Council.”



“I’m staying too,” Lydia announced. She tapped the papers. “Quentin cannot suppress this knowledge now.”



“Travers knew?” Buffy growled. She stepped towards the woman. “You knew?”



Lydia swallowed loudly as her eyes filled with tears. “He threatened me. He said my family and I would regret it if I pushed researching the soul mate ceremony.”



“The Travers family has been in control of the Council for centuries,” Giles verified.



“There’s… There is more.” Lydia wiped her face. “In my initial research, before he shut me down, I discovered something interesting.



“What’s that?” Reggie asked in an interested tone. He was one of the Council researchers, and this was all new information to him.



“I discovered a diary by a Watcher that made the claim of a possibility that Slayers and their mates are not soul mates as much as they share the same soul.”



“What? Roger leaned forward. “Reincarnation doesn’t exist.”



Lydia sighed. “It’s only a theory, Roger. Why do you think I want to stay here?”



“I wonder if the ritual works for potentials,” Beverly mused. “Or ex-potentials in my case.”



“I’ve got my work cut out for me.” Lydia gave a shaky smile. “I can’t wait to get started.”



“Reginald and I will return to London,” Roger said. He rose to his feet.



Giles held his hand out to Roger. “Thank you. Without the Travers’ influence I think we can make the Watchers and their Slayers work together better. It’s time to stop fighting their instincts and listen to them again.”



Roger shook Giles’ hand. He knew that if the Watcher’s back in London didn’t comply the Slayers could and would disappear for a long, long time.



“Glad that’s settled.” Buffy grinned. “Tonight we need to celebrate our victory.”



“Sounds like a plan,” Nikki said with a grin.



“You set it up, Nik.” Buffy pointed at the older Slayer. “Faith and I need to patrol.”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*



At dusk, Buffy and Faith hit the cemeteries. As they ambled along, Buffy filled Faith in on the meeting she’d missed with the Council committee.



The man broke into a grin when he saw Buffy. He stepped out of the shadows. “Buffy, I’m back.”



“Angel,” Buffy’s voice was cool.



Angel did nothing to hide his surprise. He clearly expected Buffy to be near ecstatic at his return. “I got the soul anchored, Buffy. We can be together now.”



Buffy stepped back with her nose wrinkled in disgust. Did Angel really think that getting his soul anchored would make up for the way he had treated her before he did his little vanishing act? “You shouldn’t get too close, Angel. My mate won’t like it.”



“Mate?” Angel looked confused. “What are you talking about?” He turned to Faith. “What is she talking about?”



“He’s hard of hearing isn’t he?” Faith winked at Buffy. She was more than willing to participate in this smack down.



“I’m talking about finding a vampire who isn’t afraid of commitment,” Buffy sneered. “A vampire who isn’t gonna call our relationship a freak show, prance off into the dark, and then return expecting me to fall at his feet.”



“I’ll never leave you, pet,” Spike’s voice echoed off the surrounding mausoleums.



“Nor will I leave you, Faith.” Lawson’s voice joined Spike’s.



Angel growled when Spike and Lawson joined the Slayers. “What is going on here? You can’t trust these two, Buffy. They’re vicious, evil vampires.”



Buffy shrugged. “I decided I like my men evil in the first place. Better than them being nice guys who turn evil.” She smirked while she leaned against Spike’s side. “Well, lean and mean evil, anyway. I’ve moved on, Angel. I love Spike. We’re going to get married and have a baby.”



“Vamps can’t have babies,” Angel protested.



“Can if it’s with their Slayer mate.” Spike tugged Buffy even closer. “Buffy’s all mine.”



Angel glanced at Faith and Lawson who were now holding hands. “You fell for this line of crap, Faith? They’re lulling you with complacency.” If Buffy wouldn’t listen, maybe Faith would.



“Actually the ‘line of crap’?” Buffy made quote marks in the air with her fingers. “It’s mine. I found an old ritual which exposes the Chosen One’s chosen mate. Willow helped me, and we called Spike to me.”



“Lawson was just an added bonus.” Faith smirked.



“Does Giles condone this travesty?” Angel snarled. He couldn’t believe the Watcher who looked down on his own relationship with the petite blond Slayer would go along with Buffy mating with Spike.



“As a matter of fact he does.” Buffy raised a defiant chin. “He treats Faith and I like the adults we are.”



“I can’t accept that you’re with this worthless creature,” Angel grumbled. “You’re so much better than him. He’s beneath you.”



Buffy leaned into Spike’s side where she rubbed her hand over his chest. “I certainly hope so! I like being on top.”



Angel snorted in disgust. It was obvious that Buffy wasn’t who he thought she was. Sure, he’d told her to find a normal guy when he left to find a way to anchor the soul, but he figured she’d still be mourning his departure, not moving on to another vampire. “When he dumps you like the scum he is, I’ll be waiting for you, Buffy.” Angel stormed off.



“You’re the one who dumps girls like scum,” Buffy yelled at Angel’s retreating back.



“Well, that was interestingly fun,” Spike said. His voice dripped with sarcasm.



“Not!” Buffy and Faith said together.



“Let’s go see about the party,” Buffy continued. “I need some post-patrol fun.”



“Sounds good, but if that Lydia asks me one more time if I’m doing the ritual, I’m siccing Lawson on her.” Faith linked her arm through Buffy’s. “Although, maybe I should sic her on Angel. That’d be funny to watch.”



“Good idea.” Buffy let out a giggle while she and Faith strolled off towards the Bronze with their vamps close behind.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*



A FEW WEEKS LATER



“I can’t believe we’re getting married,” Buffy whispered to her mother. She looked at herself in the full length mirror. Her cream colored gown was Victorian in origins as a tribute to her vampire’s origins. Buffy thought it complimented her perfectly.



“Believe it, honey.” Joyce came up behind her eldest daughter. Her gown was similar to Buffy’s. “Are you ready?”



Dawn heaved a sigh before she grumbled, “Where the heck is Faith?” She adjusted the neckline of her gown for the umpteenth time.



“Here I am!” Faith slipped into the room. Half of the bridesmaids wore dresses that matched the brides’ in cut while the other half wore pant suits that looked like a tuxedo. Faith was one of those wearing pants since the brides knew she’d never wear a dress.



Buffy looked at her sister Slayer in the mirror. There was a glow about the dark-haired Slayer that hadn’t been there the day before. Buffy tilted her head to study Faith.



“What? Did I get something dirty?” Faith looked down at her clothes.



“No!” Buffy shook her head. She tried to suppress a grin. “It just looks like Lydia is going to be in for a disappointment. Nikki and I aren’t the only pregnant Slayers now.”



Faith had a look of horror on her face. “You mean I’m all sprogged up too?”




Buffy chuckled. “Looks like. Good thing Lydia has Angel and his soul to keep her occupied. Who knew that the ritual could be performed for vampires too?”



Dawn let out a snort. “Yeah, serves the arse right that the gypsy he killed off was a potential and his mate. The curse was more than deserved.” She really didn’t like the broody vampire.



“I don’t have to get married too, do I?” Faith stared at the Summers women in horror.



“Only if you want to, dear.” Joyce patted the shell shocked young woman on the shoulder.



Willow stuck her head in the door. “Are you ready in here?”



“Yes, we are. That is if Cordelia was able to escape her boy toys.” Buffy grinned. She turned to her mother. “You ready to get married?”



“Cordelia’s ready and so are the rest of us.” Willow opened the door to show Tara, Anya, and Cordelia waiting for the brides. Tara and Anya wore dresses that matched Dawn’s while Cordelia and Willow had on pant suits that were like Faith’s.



In the distance, a wedding march started to play. Anya and Cordelia took the lead, followed by Willow and Tara, and then Faith and Dawn. The brides brought up the rear, ready to start their new lives as wives.



The End.