Chapter 3

"Did you see him?" Faith hissed in Buffy's ear. "He's even hotter in person than in Giles' musty old book."

"Keep your eyes to yourself," Buffy laughed. "He's all mine." She batted her sister slayer away from her. The two were dancing together now that Buffy's future mate had departed the Bronze.

"He ran out of here pretty fast," Faith teased. "You don't think he's a scaredy-vamp, do you?"

"Oh you. You're such a pill," Buffy muttered. She suddenly shivered, feeling as though someone had walked over her grave. She looked up to see her old friend, Xander, watching her and Faith from the edge of the dance floor. "Xan's here early. Ixnay on the ikespay."

Faith turned to glare at the young man. She couldn't believe she'd been attracted to him once upon a time. After Anya's revelation, Faith now knew she had only been a substitute for the Slayer the boy really wanted. She was glad she'd never really been all that friendly with Xander since he had taken her virginity two years before and promptly dropped her. She'd played it off as no big deal, and she'd never told anyone what Xander had done to her, but deep down inside it had really hurt.

Faith quickly glanced over her shoulder to the table where Willow was laughing with Tara and Anya. She quickly caught Willow's eye, and she nodded towards the newcomer. Faith could feel the magic pulse from the red-headed witch. The girls had decided that hitting Xander with a truth spell might work to their advantage and get all his dirty little secrets out on the table. Faith waited until Xander was at the table before she nudged Buffy, and then the two slayers joined the others.

"Get off me, Anya," Xander grunted. He pushed the ex-vengeance demon away from him. "I only came here to see Buffy."

"I'm your girlfriend, Xander," Anya replied softly.

"Only until Buffy comes to her senses," Xander announced. "I'm even gonna tell her that having kids doesn't matter to me. I'm sure you'll be quite happy to carry a baby for us, won't you, An?"

"Why would she do that?" Willow asked. Her eyes glowed black at Xander's words.

"Because An loves me. She'll do anything for me," Xander answered proudly. "It's not like anyone else is going to want anything to do with an ex-demon."

"I don't think so, Xander." Anya said with a sniffle. "I do love you, but I’ll get over it. You're not a nice person, so you can take your sperm deposits to some other bank, ‘cause this one has just cancelled your account!" She looked down at her hands before lifting her head proudly. She'd known he was obsessed with Buffy, but she hadn’t realised that he’d only told her he loved her to keep her convenient. It was a bitter pill to swallow. Her heart was broken, but she was thankful that she had friends to help her deal with her pain.

"If you don't date me, you can't be a part of the gang, An." Xander grinned. "Then Giles'll fire you from the Magic Box, and you'll be orgasmless, friendless, and jobless."

"Anya's part of the group because she's our friend, Xander, not because she is dating you," Willow announced. She gripped Tara's hand on one side while she covered Anya's hands on the other side of the table.

"No, she isn't," Xander jeered. "She’s just like Tara. God, Willow, what were you thinking? First a werewolf and now a woman? You are one sick puppy, let me tell you."

"Leave them alone." Faith popped to her feet. "You're nothing but an asshole, Xander."

"Sit down and shut up, Faith." Xander leered at the dark-haired girl. "You’re a crappy slayer and an even crappier lay. Maybe I should tell them how you squealed like a little piggy that time I fucked you. 'Weee. Weee. Stop, Xander, you're hurting me. Weee. Weee.'"

A hurt look crossed Faith's face. She tried to hide it, but both Buffy and Willow remembered how enamoured the dark-haired slayer had been with Xander. At first it had seemed like Xander returned her affections, but then he’d pushed Faith aside rather quickly. Faith put on a show of bravado and turned to Buffy.

"Can I smack him now?"

"I don't think Giles would be too happy if we gave a human a smack down," Buffy sighed. “No matter how much he deserves it.” She eyed her old friend while she wished that her morals would let her punch him, just once.

"Oh yeah, let's talk Watchers," Xander sneered. "Giles is too old to find his dick, and Wes was too geeky to know how to use his even if he could find it. It's obvious to me the Council needs to find men who are strong enough to control Slayers, not let them run amok."

"Oh, and you think you're strong enough, Xander?" Willow was getting more angered by the moment. She hadn’t realized just how dark her friend had grown. She never expected to find anything this wrong when she’d used the Truth Spell. Anya had mentioned that Xander was obsessed with Buffy, but this was way more than any of them had realized.

"Of course I am," Xander said proudly. "Maybe I should contact the Council and offer them my services. I’ll let them know I can get Buffy under control and back in the fold, doing what she needs to be doing."

"What?" Buffy spluttered. "I don't think so."

"It wouldn't be that hard, Buff." Xander puffed himself up. "I'd just take a page out of Angelus' book. I'd stalk you until you were scared out of your mind, and then I'd make you powerless and weak, so I could kidnap you. I'd keep you alone and in the dark until you begged me for my company. Then, I'd fuck you into the ground and make you dependant on me for all your needs. You'd do anything I wanted: even give me that sweet little sister of yours to join our games. Maybe she'd give us some children, too."

"If I catch you near my sister, you'll wish you'd never been born." Buffy shot to her feet, her fist clenching. "You keep away from her, you sick son of a bitch."

"Takes one to know one, huh, Buff." Xander looked the blond slayer up and down, licking his lips as he did so. "Fucked old Angelus right out of his soul, didn't you? Then, hopped on to Parker and Riley. You're such a little slut. I can't wait to pound myself into that tight little pussy of yours. Been fantasizing about it since the first day I met you. Being possessed by that hyena was one of the best damned days of my life. I was so pissed when you broke that spell. I almost had you then, bitch."

"Well, I'm pretty sure after this conversation, I'm never gonna want you even as a friend," Buffy muttered. She glanced around at the other girls, who nodded in agreement. "None of us are, and if I ever see you around Dawn, you're in for a world of hurt."

Xander watched the looks of horror cross their faces, and he giggled insanely to himself, convinced that it would be so easy to talk his way out of this whole thing. Anya could be swayed with a few role playing games and orgasms. Willow would get the broken yellow crayon story, while he'd tell Buffy that he just couldn't remember what had happened. It'd worked before, it'd work again.

"Whoa, head rush, must have blacked out there for a few minutes." Xander looked at the girls, hitting them with full puppy dog eyes. He moved towards Anya. "Missed you, baby."

"Stay away from me, you louse," Anya spat. She grimaced and jerked away from Xander. "I don't want you to touch me. You disgust me."

"I think you better leave, Xander," Buffy announced. "I don't think any of us want you around anymore, especially after what you just said."

"I don't know what you mean, Buff," Xander replied innocently. "I don't remember saying anything. Are you all feeling okay?" He had a role he’d made for himself, and he was going to play it to the hilt.

"I still have contacts in the vengeance business, Xander Harris." Anya gave the male a flinty look. "All I have to do is make a wish, and you'll be a patch of road kill."

Xander threw his hands up in defeat. It was obvious that the girls weren't going to forget anything he had said before. In fact, he wasn't sure why he had said all that stuff in the first place. Maybe he could get Giles on his side by getting to the old fart before Buffy or one of the others. If he could convince Giles that the girls were weirding out, maybe he could convince all those involved that what he said wasn't what he really felt or meant. Yeah, that's the ticket. Giles was easy to manipulate.

"I know when I'm not wanted. I'll catch you gals later when you're feeling more like yourselves." Xander turned to leave the Bronze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lawson looked up when Spike slammed into the living room. Something had upset the elder vampire. Lawson could sense it by the way Spike ripped off his duster, flung it across the back of an armchair, and marched to the bar where he grabbed a bottle of whiskey and took a healthy swig. He wondered if it had anything to do with the slayers, the girl that Spike had come to this little burg to meet, or both.

"Problems, chief?"

"You could say that." Spike took another drink off the bottle. "I saw the slayers. The younger one is quite a dancer, 'm sure. She's powerful."

"But I take it she's not what has you in the uproar?" Lawson rose to pour his own drink.

"No, she's a nice lookin' bird, but she has nothin' on her elder." Spike threw himself into the armchair where he had tossed his coat. "Her power is overwhelmin'. She's the one, Lawson. She's the one that could make me or break me."

"You're planning on killing a slayer, chief? Thought you outgrew that in the seventies."

"Not what I mean, squirt." Spike sighed. He knew Lawson hated being called squirt about as much as he hated being called chief. "I figured when the other witch contacted me, my mate would something special, but a soddin' Slayer? It's not in the handbook. 'Sides you know what happened last time a slayer found her mate."

"You're kidding me, right?" Lawson blinked in surprise. "You didn't really think that you deserved LESS than a Slayer yourself, did you? After all you've done?

"Do I look like I’m joking, Lawson? The slayer is my mate, which means wooin' her is going to be a bit more complicated than I had expected." Spike took a swig off his bottle. "I want you to find out everything you can about her. I want details."

After fifty plus years being in the employment of the older vamp, Lawson knew Spike's habits like the back of his hand. "Already anticipated that request, Spike." Lawson rose from his chair to go over to the desk. He opened a drawer and grabbed out a pile of files, handling them to his boss. Spike might be impatient and tend to rush things, but he always liked to be prepared.

Spike opened the top file to stare at the picture that lay on top, admiring the slayer's blond hair with its dark streaks, her big green eyes surrounded by the blackest kohl, and her full, pouty lips painted blood red. She was a vision that made Spike's undead heart flutter. Maybe after all these years of simply existing, he would finally have something worth unliving for.

Spike placed the picture to the side before picking up the file to read the rest of the report. A few of the incidents in the Slayer's life caused him to laugh, but one made the blond vampire growl menacingly. He was unhappy that his grandsire had been in the slayer's life. The thought of his mate having anything to do with the poncy bastard made Spike's demon very angry. She was his, and no one, not even Angelus or the Council of Wankers, was going to get in his way. Spike methodically waded through the pile of reports that told him everything about his mate, her family, and her friends.

"I want a meeting with the minions, tomorrow at dusk," Spike announced. "We've got some plannin' to do."

"Right, chief."