Chapter 5

"Chief?" Lawson called out. He knew the boss was getting ready for his date with the Slayer. Lawson had never seen Spike give so much attention to his appearance before. Usually the elder vamp just slicked his hair back, added a dash of eyeliner, and made sure the black polish on his nails wasn't flaked off too much.

"In here, Lawson," Spike answered from the bedroom. He stood in front of his closet considering what to wear tonight. Spike had kept the bleached bad boy look for the past couple of decades just because it was reasonably easy to maintain. He wanted to impress his Slayer, but he didn't want to go all out for the girl either. What you saw was what you got with him.

Lawson entered the bedroom where he immediately sprawled lazily on the king sized bed. He studied his boss for a few moments before he launched into his report of the activities reported by the minions, "We're the strongest group, besides the Slayer's, in Sunnydale at this time. The boys have eliminated, either by death or running out of town, several groups of demons. That list includes a group of scabby little minions that complained the whole time about their missing Glorificus and her key. The Hellmouth's secure enough for the protected ones' arrival."

"Excellent," Spike replied. "They should be arrivin' in less than a week." He turned to look at his second in command. "Any more news on that little item you heard about?"

"Not yet, chief," Lawson answered. He wasn't surprised that Spike was interested in finding out whether or not a certain rumor was true or not. "When I figure out if the Gem of Amara is real or not, I'll let you know."

"You're a good man, Lawson," Spike replied. He glanced over his shoulder at the younger vampire. "I know you weren't too keen on comin' here to Sunnyhell at first, but there's somethin' about this little burg, isn't there?"

"The cute little Slayer or the Hellmouth, chief?"

Spike chuckled before answering, "Well, I've never been too fond of Hellmouths. So, it must be the Slayer."

"So how are you plannin' on impressing this girl?" Lawson asked. "I doubt she'll be too happy if you paint the town 'red'." He put extra emphasis on the word 'red'.

"Dinner and dancin'. Her kind of dinner, not mine," Spike answered. He pulled a blood red dress shirt out of the closet and put it on over his black t-shirt. He flung himself down on the bed next to Lawson and pulled on his boots. "Maybe I can get her to show me the sights."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy pulled yet another one of her shirts out of the closet and looked at it critically. She tossed it, hanger and all, towards the bed.

"Hey, watch it, B," Faith grumbled. She pulled the shirt off her head while she watched her sister Slayer frantically search for something to wear. "You know, it doesn't matter what you wear. You always look good."

"Bet you say that to all the girls," Buffy quipped. She pulled a black tank top off of its hanger, which she paired with a sheer white pullover top.

"Nope, just the ones I wanna jump in bed with."

"Tease," Buffy giggled in reply. The two girls had thrown sexual innuendos at each other from the first moment they'd laid eyes on each other. Both knew it was just in fun, but it was funny when they did it in front of guys. Buffy stuck her tongue out at Faith.

"Oh, wiggle that tongue some more. You're turning me on," Faith cooed. Soon both girls were giggling. Faith leaned back against the pillows on Buffy's bed. She pulled Spike's note off of the bedside table to read it again. "He's awfully confident, isn't he? I like that in a vampire."

Buffy snatched the note away from Faith. "Well, this one is mine. Do the ritual and find your own."

"Might just do that once you're all settled," Faith replied. She waited until Buffy was finished pulling on her boots before giving the other girl a critical look-over. "You look perfect, B. Now, go out there and wow your new guy." She winked saucily at Buffy. "Take him to lover's lane for some smoochies and vamp dustings."

"Oh, yeah, because that's just the kind of impression I want to make on a first date." Buffy rolled her eyes. "I'm easy, and I like to kill things."

"He's a vampire, girl. It's the perfect impression."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xander had caught wind of Buffy's newest fuck buddy by eavesdropping on Anya, Tara, and Willow at the Magic Box. He methodically planned his disguise, relying on the leftover army training from the Halloween three years before when he got turned into his costume. He allowed himself a small fantasy of having Buffy helpless and at his mercy before he shook the thoughts out of his head.

Xander tailed Buffy and her date to the restaurant where they had dinner. He sneered to himself when the bleached blond man laughed at one of Buffy's stupid little quips. Buffy's smart mouth was another of her habits that Xander felt he needed to break. He wasn't close enough to hear the conversation between the Slayer and the man, but he could tell they were getting along well enough that he had some serious competition for Buffy's affections.

Xander followed them from the restaurant to the Bronze, scoffing at Spike's classic car the entire time. He couldn't figure out why Buffy was with someone who was clearly beneath her. Hadn't she learned her lesson with Angel, Parker, and Riley? Soon, very soon, she'd learn her lesson. She’d learn that Xander was the only person worthy of her attention. He was going to have a spectacular time showing her exactly where she belonged. Xander didn't even realize he was rubbing his hard cock through his pants as he thought about Buffy writhing beneath him in pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy smiled up at Spike as they left the nightclub. She felt inexplicably shy around the master vampire. He was such a combination of old gentleman and punk rocker that she wasn't sure how she was going to keep his attention for very long. However, he had been very attentive to her desires all evening long which Buffy found irresistible.

"So, luv," Spike said with a lopsided smile. "Tomorrow we'll get together, and you can give me a tour of good old Sunnyhell."

"Um, sure," Buffy replied. She shivered in response to the vampire's grin. There was more than his vampy-ness giving her chills. "Not that we're famous for anything except having a mortality rate higher than the national average."

"Well," Spike chuckled. "Guess it's a good thing somethin' like that doesn't scare me."

"Yeah," Buffy said. She nibbled her lip and twisted her hands in front of her. She was just about to ask Spike a question about what he was interested in seeing in town when a hand landed on her shoulder.

"What are you doing with this guy?" Xander growled. He'd had enough of Buffy's vague idea of flirting, and he had decided to confront the duo. He was sure he could run the punk off easily with a few well placed remarks. "You belong to me, you little slut. I'm gonna show you who's boss." Xander pulled a hypodermic needle from his pocket. He didn't have the precise formula the Watchers had used to weaken the Slayer, but he felt he had a perfectly good substitute.

"Let go of me, Xander," Buffy cried. She pulled away from Xander, not wanting to hurt the male who had been her friend since her first days in Sunnydale. "You've got some problems. Why don't you come to Giles' with me? We can help you, Xan. We all still care for you."

"There's nothing wrong with me, Buffy," Xander said coldly. "It's you that has the problem." He tried to stab the blond girl with the needle, but suddenly found his wrist caught in an iron grip.

"Don't touch my girl," Spike growled. He slipped into game face as he wrenched the needle from the human's hand. Spike dropped hypo on the ground, and he smashed it with a boot heel.

"Buffy, he's a vamp," Xander snarled icily. "If you don't do your duty right now and stake him, I'm gonna make you sorry."