Chapter 7



"Mr. Travers, there's a phone call from Sunnydale," Jane Dobson told her boss. "A Mr. Alexander Harris wants to speak to you about the Slayers."



"Interesting," Quentin Travers replied. "Give me five minutes. Then, patch him through." He pulled a set of files from his desk drawer.



"Yes, sir," Jane said.



"Alexander Harris," Travers muttered to himself. "Best friend of Buffy Summers." He sifted thought the files. "He’s the disgruntled friend with an unrequited obsession with the Slayer. This could prove useful."



Travers continued to peruse the file until his secretary put the call though to him. "Mr. Harris," he said into the receiver. "What do I owe the pleasure of this call?"



"Mr. Travers, something has to be done and soon," Xander stated. "Buffy's hanging out with another vampire. This one doesn't have a soul like the last one."



"Really? Well, I'm not sure what you wish for me to do about it." Travers leaned back in his chair to look at his nails.



"If you give me complete control of the Slayers, I will make them do their duty," Xander promised. "I will break them to my will."



"That's an intriguing prospect," Travers murmured while he thought about having two Slayers willing to do the Council's every whim rather than flouting the rules. "However, that still doesn't tell me what you want me to do about it?"



"I don't have the means, or the manpower, to eliminate those who will stand in my way," Xander chuckled darkly. "People like Giles and the new vampire."



"What about the witch?" Travers leaned forward to look at the paperwork. "Willow Rosenberg?"



"Will could prove useful if I had control of her powers." Xander drifted off for a few moments as he thought about the Slayers and the other female Scoobies as his own personal harem. The young man reached down to caress his hard cock.



"I suppose I could spare some funds and a few men," Travers said. "If you get results, there'll be more. If not you'll regret ever crossing me."



"Mr. Travers, I'll not let you down." Xander mentally rubbed his hands together. With Angel gone for good, the mansion on Crawford Street would be perfect for his plans. First, he needed to... oh decisions, decisions. Yes, first he needed to get Anya and Tara as his prisoners. Willow would do anything for Tara. With the red-haired witch under his control, the Slayers didn't stand a chance.



"Money and men will be there by the end of the week," Travers said. "I expect results quickly, Mr. Harris."



"Of course! I need to get started, sir." Xander gave Travers the Crawford street address. "I'll be expecting your guys." He hung up the phone.



"What a rude young man," Travers muttered. He dropped the receiver onto its cradle before he pushed the button on the intercom. "Jane, could you sent in John Flesher, Myles O'Brien, and Herman Raimen." Travers named the three members of the Council's best undercover ops.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"I need to call Emmaline Hassib to let her know she needs to take over my classes for me." Buffy looked out the window with her arms wrapped tightly around her body. She knew when Spike came to stand behind her. "What about my mom and Dawnie?"



"Can you trust this Emmaline?" Spike asked his future mate. He wrapped his hands around her waist, and he rested his chin on her shoulder. Despite all the chaos, he felt a sense of peace he'd never felt before.



"Xander won't be able to get close enough to her to find us." Buffy smiled at the thought of her friend. "She's a demon herself. Her clan will keep her protected."



"Your mum and sis will need protectin'."



"So will the other Scoobies." Buffy shuddered when she remembered Xander's disgusting words involving the other girls. "He wants to make Anya pregnant to make up for my infertility. Xander actually threatened the same thing with my sister. MY SISTER! How could I have not noticed him falling into the darkness?"



"He's your friend, luv." Spike kissed Buffy's shoulder. "No one wants to believe that someone they love and trust could hurt them like that."



"I should have known," Buffy protested. "Right after I moved here, he was possessed by a hyena spirit. He tried to rape me."



"He what?" Spike growled. He knew that the event had happened before he even knew of Buffy's existence, but it obviously had a bearing on the current situation.



"I never realized how twisted his thoughts were until Anya told us he kept a record of how many times Riley and I had sex." Buffy shuddered again. Just the thought of it make her feel dirty and ooky.



"Ah baby." Spike tightened his arms around Buffy's waist as he promised himself that Harris would be a footnote in history when he was done with him. "Why don't you call your friend while I go check on accommodations?"



Buffy nodded in agreement. She’d do just about anything to take her mind off Xander and his actions. Maybe talking to Emmaline would be just the thing. Buffy gave Spike a sad smile as she reached for the untraceable cell phone he had provided for her.



Spike slipped out of the room. He waved Lawson, who was loitering down the hall, over to him.



"Yeah, chief?"



"Contact Razor. This shit isn't gonna last long. I want Harris out of the picture," the bleached blond Aurelian vampire growled. "Dru's thrall can't be broken, and I'm not lettin' that sodding git jeopardize my future."



"Sure, chief." Lawson, like Spike, had no qualms about killing a human despite their associations with Slayers. Besides what the Slayers didn't know, couldn't hurt them.



"Are all the cloaking spells in place?" Spike asked. He looked thoughtful when Lawson nodded. "We might want some extra special cloaking to appease my Slayer when her mum and sis show up." He gave a smirk. "Can't have her family hearin' me seduce her."



Lawson chuckled. He knew the feeling. Something about the other Slayer Faith got his motors revving.



The two vampires strolled down the hall to the parlor where they found the two Watchers, Giles and Crowley. Giles was on the phone, but he waved Spike and Lawson into the room.



"Yes, we'll be in hiding. We should be quite safe." Giles paced back and forth. "Look, Wes, with the Council involved the best thing for you and yours is to stay the hell away from Sunnydale."



Giles paused to listen for a few moments. "Yes, I'm sure we can handle the wet team. We did before since it's their usual M.O. I just don't think it would be fortuitous for you and Oz to come here."



Giles paused in his speech again before he said his good-byes.



Spike waved Lawson out of the room to let the younger vamp go about the business of contacting the demon mercenary Razor. He settled himself on the couch across from Crowley where he waited for Giles to finish his phone call.



Giles eased himself onto one of the armchairs. He stared off into space, and he got lost in his thoughts.



Spike cleared his throat to get Giles' attention. "So, Watcher..." he trailed off.



"Wesley has heard from his contact inside the Council. Travers is sending his best team to Sunnydale." Giles sighed. "I should have seen this."



"You lot are certainly full of guilt," Spike said. "Buffy's feelin' guilty too. Nothing can be helped. Dru's thrall is powerful, and seeing as the barmy bitch still unlives, it's still workin' its way through the whelp's mind."



"Wesley's research indicates that Xander is probably too far gone to save," Giles said sadly.



"You can trust his research?" Crowley asked.



"Wesley is Roger's son, Bernie." Giles shrugged. "His research skills are second to none."



"Roger's an arse," Crowley grunted. "Always has been."



"Yes, he is," Giles agreed. "He disinherited Wes because he refused to capture and terminate Faith when she was having a hard time adjusting to her calling."



Spike thought about the vibrant sister Slayer of his future mate. "Bloody wankers," he muttered under his breath. Maybe it was time to get rid of the old establishment and erect a new improved one. He certainly had the foundation for such an event living under his protection; three called Slayers, plus their families, two ex-watchers, plus a third, two powerful witches, and a former demon who Spike was sure had knowledge that the Council only dreamed of possessing. "We should make a new Council," Spike said aloud.



"What was that?" Giles and Crowley stared at the vampire.



"Nothing," Spike answered. Now wasn't the time to take on that project. Maybe later when things with Harris had settled down.



Buffy burst into the room, and she went right to Spike's side. "Emmaline will take over all my classes." She beamed at the blond vampire.



Giles stared at his charge as if had never seen her before. He hadn't seen her this happy since she had moved to Sunnydale. Even in the early days of their association, there had always been a touch of sadness to Buffy. She felt as if she was to blame for her parents divorce, even though Giles knew from long talks with Joyce that it wasn't the case at all. Hank had been a controlling wanker who wouldn't allow Joyce to be anything but a housewife on an allowance.



"That's great, luv." Spike grinned at the Slayer. Looking at her happy face, he had no regrets putting a death contract out on one Alexander Harris.



"So, what next, guys?" Buffy turned to her Watcher. "Who's gonna patrol? Should we get Oz?"



"I've already told them to stay out of town," Giles answered. "Spike's minions will have to keep an eye on things for us. Why don't you two point out the hot spots to them?"



Spike grinned to himself. That shouldn't take too long. Then, he and his woman could have some private time. He grabbed up her hand to hustle her away from the Watchers.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Lawson contacted Razor as Spike had requested, and now he was strolling though the mansion on his way to the kitchen. He felt the instant buzz of a Slayer on his senses, but he knew it wasn't any of the protected ones. That left only the beautiful Miss Lehane. Lawson followed his senses until he found the Slayer.



"How's it hangin', vamp man?" Faith didn't turn to see which vampire had entered the room. She was pretty sure it was Lawson.



"Did you need anything, Miss Lehane?" Lawson found himself asking.



"I'm five by five, and please call me Faith." The dark-haired Slayer glanced over her shoulder at Lawson. "So, how'd you meet up with old Spike?"



"I met him on a sub in World War Two." Lawson entered the room a little more. "I was part of the crew."



"Spike turned you?" Faith asked as she moved to a chair.



"No, it was the other one. Angelus."



"What?" Faith's jaw dropped. "Angel had his soul then. I mean he wouldn't, would he?" She'd never suspected that the broody guilt ridden vamp would turn someone.



"A soul? Are you sure?" Lawson looked thoughtful. "Well, that certainly explains a lot. You've met him then when he was here?"



"Yeah, he's one of the scum bags that hurt Buffy," Faith growled. She was quite protective of the other Slayer. "Apparently back in the day, he ate the wrong person, and wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, Angelus got slapped with a soul."



"How did he end up here in Sunnydale?" A woman's voice sounded behind Faith.



The young Slayer turned to find Nikki Wood and her vampire mate at the door. She realized that they had managed to sneak up on her. Faith gave a small shrug. "B said some stinky demon showed her to him." She wrinkled her nose. "He dangled her like a prize in front of him was more like it."



"You're not fond of Angelus?" Marcus asked.



"I've never met 'Angelus', only Angel," Faith answered. "He has laid a lot of guilt on B about the soul taking a walk two years ago after they had sex. Takes two to tango! He was in that bed, too."



"He told us that vampires can't love," Willow said from the doorway. She entered the room followed by Tara and Anya. Willow eyed Marcus for a minute, earning a growl from Nikki. "Boy, is he a big fat liar."



"Well, I'm living proof of that statement's falseness." Marcus kissed Nikki on the cheek.



"I think we need to re-examine everything Angel ever told us," Willow muttered. She glanced at Tara and Anya. "I wonder what he was like before he was turned. I mean, vampire me was kinda gay, and I know Buffy was trying to reassure me, but look at me now... GAY!"



"Willow, breathe," Tara whispered.



"Will he be a problem for Spike?" Lawson wanted to know, just in case.



The Scooby women shrugged as one, but it was Faith who spoke, "Haven't a clue. He disappeared right after graduation over a year ago. We haven't heard from him since. I can tell you one thing. I won't hesitate to stake him if I see him though!" She gave a feral grin.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Xander was getting more and more pissed off. He couldn't find any of the Scooby bitches anywhere. Giles was a no show too. They weren't at home, at work, or at school. Xander growled in frustration.



Xander stomped into the Bronze. His tempter so close to the boiling over point that he didn't notice the crowd shift away from him. He ordered a drink from the bartender, and he gave her the once over before deciding that tall, buxom brunettes weren't what he was interested in.



Xander watched the dance floor. A plan formulated in his mind. Maybe some bait would lure Buffy and Faith out of hiding; a nice, sweet innocent girl that he could play with while he waited for the Council’s men. Then, Xander noticed the blond woman dancing near the edge of the dance floor. She looked vaguely familiar.



The dark-haired man snickered to himself. He had found the perfect Buffy substitute. After watching the woman for over an hour, his patience paid off when she bid farewell to her girlfriends and stumbled from the club.



Xander followed the woman until she came to her little sporty Geo Neon. As she fumbled with her keys, he slid closer to her. When she finally opened the car door, Xander slammed into her, and he pushed her into the car.



"Who the fuck are you?" she screeched. "Get out of my car."



"Shut up, whore," Xander snarled. It felt so good not to keep his primal urges at bay any more. He tore the keys from her hand as he elbowed her in the face. He heard a satisfying crunch before she moaned and passed out.



"Let's see who we have here." Xander pulled the woman's wallet out of her purse. He flipped through to her driver's license. "Harmony Kendall. No wonder you looked familiar. You're gonna pay for all the times you laughed at me in school." Xander chuckled darkly as he threw the car into drive and headed towards the privacy of Crawford Street.