Chapter 9







Buffy grinned when she saw what Spike did to the small clearing in the woods between the two houses he and his minions lived in. Strings of lights crisscrossed themselves all over the tree branches, and they gave the glade an ethereal glow. On the ground was a blanket, a picnic basket, and a chilling bottle of sparkling cider. She wondered if one of the Scoobies had spilled the beans about Cave Buffy.







Buffy knew Spike was lurking someplace nearby. She was sure he was watching her from the shadows, and that made her a little nervous on several different levels. Buffy was still scared about becoming intimate with another man. Each of her other relationships had eroded away her self worth. Buffy was aware of the vampire’s stealthy movements that made her Slayer senses tingle in a way no other vamp had ever done for her. Not even Angel had felt like this to her. This made Buffy think that maybe it had something to do with Spike being her destined mate instead of Angel.







“Hello, pet.” Spike stepped out of the shadows. He had already picked up on the Slayer’s jitters, and he hoped the fears brought on by her past relationships wouldn’t taint the evening he had planned.







“Hi, Spike.” Buffy smiled shyly. “It all looks beautiful.” She looked around the clearing again.







“Only the best for my girl.” Spike took Buffy’s hand, and he led her towards the blanket. Together they sat down on the fuzzy cover, and Spike quickly poured Buffy a flute of sparkling cider. Then, he dug into the basket to bring out a variety of different foods including strawberries, cheeses, chocolate covered nuts, French bread, and sliced meat. Although Buffy didn’t realized it, the vampire spent the next twenty minutes leisurely feeding his mate in a very ritualistic way. Spike knew that because Buffy wasn’t a vampire, he had to change the traditional vampire mating rituals to suit her Slayer heritage and feelings.







Buffy laid a hand on her stomach. “That was all so good. I’m going to have to exercise extra hard tomorrow to burn all those calories.”







Spike bit his lower lip while he gave Buffy a heated look. “I don’t think so, pet. I have plans for us to get plenty of exercise tonight.”







“Spike,” Buffy whispered. Their eyes locked, and the Slayer’s breath sped up.







Buffy’s breath hitched when the vampire leaned in to cover her lips with his own. Their mouths opened, letting soft, excited tongues caress and duel. When Spike pushed to deepen the kiss, Buffy consented by threading one hand in the hair at the nape of his neck. She didn’t protest when the vampire laid her back against the blanket, and he proceeded to make love to her so tenderly that if she hadn’t known better she would have swore she was dreaming.







Spike was surprised when his Slayer further initiated the mating ritual without any prompting from him. When they both accepted the claim that night, they felt powerful, and they knew that their love was true. Just before dawn, Spike carried his new mate back to the mansion where he tucked her into his bed. He curled up against her body, replete for the first time since he was born over a century and a half ago.







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







Robin Wood looked at his younger brothers. “So, how is this thing in Los Angeles going to work? She probably won’t go for all three of us.” He was talking about their pursuit of one gorgeous brunette by the name of Cordelia Chase.







Roland and Raymond shrugged as one. They didn’t have a clue either. Even though they knew their taste in women were similar, the three brothers had never run into this problem before.







“Let the best man win, I say,” Roland replied. He was pretty sure his older bother was more bored than anything. Robin had gone to college to get a degree in education, and now that he’d graduated he was unsure where to go next or what to do.







“Good thing Dolph wasn’t here when we planned this. He’d want to go too,” Raymond stated with a grin. His teeth were a startling white against his dark skin.







Robin let out a scoffing sound. “Queen Bitches aren’t little bros thing when it comes to women. He likes them taller and more pouty. I saw a picture of the Slayer’s little sis. Now she’s more Dolph’s style.”







“He better be careful.” Raymond chuckled. “The Slayer won’t be too happy if he steals her sister’s virginity.”







“Yeah, the Slayer’s sister is more his style anyway,” Robin chuckled. “There’s no way a fine lady like Ms. Chase would go for a child like Dolph when there’s a man like me around.” He touched his puffed out chest.







“You wish, man.” Roland rolled his eyes. “By the way, when are Rosie and Dolph going to be here?”







“In about thirty minutes from what Mother said.” Robin picked up his duffle bag. “We’ll have time to say good bye before we leave for Los Angeles.”







“Hehe, we’ll get to see the fireworks then. Buffy’s mom and sister are due at the same time.” Roland picked up his bag too. “Spike wants all the activity with the protection spell to happen at one time. I’ve never seen him so cautious.”







“You’ve never seen him with a woman before either.” Raymond picked up two shirts. After sniffing both, he shoved them into his bag.







“I’m just glad he’s over that bitch who abandoned him,” Roland added.







The other two brothers nodded.







“You boys ready?” Marcus stuck his head in the door.







“Raymond is still sniffing his shirts, Dad.” Robin grinned at his father. “We’re ready to see Dolph make an idiot out of himself when he sees the Slayer’s sister.”







“They’re already here. So, you’re missing the show. We’re just waiting on you slowpokes,” Marcus replied. “Get a move on.”







“Sure thing, Dad,” Robin, Roland, and Raymond said together.







Marcus left his oldest sons to finish their packing. He chuckled to himself. If they didn’t hurry they’d miss Dolph’s idiot act. The boy’s natural Rutilus charm was already overcoming his nervousness.







“Where are they?” Nikki demanded.







“Still packing,” Marcus assured his mate. “They’ll be done in a few minutes.” He looked out a window to where the four newcomers were waiting to gain entry tthrough the protection wards. Marcus saw his daughter talking to the Slayer’s sister, Dawn Summers.







Marcus realized that Joyce Summers had tried to engage Dolph in a conversation, but he only had eyes for her daughter. He could see the amusement warring with concern in the woman’s eyes while she watched the young man.







Robin and his two brothers came up the hallway making as much noise as humanly possible. They paused to kiss their mother on the cheek before they shook Marcus’ hand. Then, they went outside to join their siblings and the Slayer’s family.







Nikki came over to stand beside Marcus, and together they watched as Dolph’s older brothers ribbed him about his interest in Dawn. In a few moments Giles and Willow joined the little group.







The transfer in the protection wards was complete in a matter of minutes. The newcomers’ signatures were added to the ward the same time as the three Wood men left. It complicated the magic enough to hide them from anyone trying to track the group inside or outside the wards.







“Rupert,” Joyce said coolly. “We need to talk.” She walked away from the Watcher. She knew he would follow her.







“Somebody’s in trouble,” Willow said in a singsong voice to the older man.







Dawn laughed. “Mom’s not happy with you, Giles. You better bring out Ripper and make like a stevedore.”







“I’m never going to live that down, am I?” Giles blushed at the mention of the band candy incident a few years before. Being caught having sex with his charge’s mother on the hood of a police car hadn’t been the highpoint of his career. He picked up Joyce’s bags, and he followed in her footsteps.







Dawn frowned at her own luggage. “Who’s my helper?”







Rosie chuckled. She had noticed her twin check out the oblivious Dawn. She nudged Dolph, and he stumbled forward.







“I can help you,” the usually calm and collected boy almost stammered.







Dawn looked at the dark skinned boy with new eyes. He looked like he was interested in her. Boy, wouldn’t Janice be jealous. Dawn gave him a little smile before she nodded her consent for him to help her with her bags.







Marcus chuckled in Nikki’s ear. “Just like old times, wouldn’t you say, my sweet.”







“Hmmm, yes, the Rutilus charm strikes again.” Nikki shivered with arousal when her mate brushed cool lips along her neck. “Why don’t we go re-enact our own meeting, but with more sex this time?”







“Mmmm, you were always such a smart one,” Marcus’ voice deepened with his excitement. “Spike’s child will need a playmate that can keep up with him or her.”







“Good idea.” Nikki dragged her mate off towards their bedroom.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*







John Flesher drove the rental car towards the address that Harris had supplied for Travers. The game plan he and his team mates had come up with was quite simple. All they needed to do was find out what Harris had planned, and then contact the Slayers.







John pulled the car up outside a rundown mansion. He and his companions got out of the automobile. John waved Miles to the back of the car where the other man removed the team’s luggage from the trunk. Together the three men looked at the big house.







“Not exactly the Ritz,” Herman muttered. He knew where they stayed wasn’t going to be very posh, but he had hoped for better than a deserted mansion. “This is bloomin’ ridiculous, Flesher.”







“I agree, Raimen, but do hush up.” Flesher moved towards the door where he used the knocker to announce their arrival. “He’s gotta think we’re here to help.”







In a few moments a dark haired man answered the door. John recognized him as Xander Harris.







“Who are you?” Harris demanded. He glanced at the three men with suspicion. “I don’t want to buy anything.”







“We’re from the Council,” John replied. “Travers sent us.”







A sinister grin crossed Harris’ face. “Took you long enough.” He stepped back, and he made a sweeping gesture towards the inside of the house. “Buffy, honey, we have guests.”







John Flesher kept his face stony blank, but he was worried. If Harris had the Slayer under his influence already things could be bad. He glanced at his team mates with a warning eyebrow twitch.







A bruised and battered blond girl scurried into the hallway. She looked around to find Harris, and she hurried to his side. “Welcome to Sunnydale,” she rasped.







When Flesher saw the girl’s bright blue eyes peer at him from behind dark, swollen lids he knew whoever this girl was, she wasn’t Buffy Summers. The eyes were simply the wrong color. The bruising on the neck told John why her voice sounded like she was gargling nails.







Harris was sicker than Flesher first imagined when Travers outlined the plan to bring the Slayers to heel. Flesher kept an eye on any incoming reports on the Slayers since Buffy’s eighteenth birthday when she impressed him with her ingenuity.







“Glad to meet you, Ms. Summers,” Flesher said. He didn’t let on to the younger man, with the maniacal gleam in his eye, that he knew the girl wasn’t the Slayer. That might make him go off the deep end and kill her before he had a chance to rescue her.







“G-lad to m-meet you t-too,” the girl rasped again.







“Can you show us to our rooms?” Miles asked. He had noticed the same discrepancies that Flesher had.







“These men are here to help me!” Harris sneered at the girl. “They won’t believe anything that comes out of that bitchy mouth of yours.”







The girl nodded slowly. Her eyes filled with tears. She shuffled off towards another hallway with Miles behind her. Behind them, Miles heard Harris offer her ‘services’ as part of their payment for helping him. The Brit sneered to himself. He had never taken that from a woman, and he had no plans on starting now.







When Miles and the girl arrived at the suite door, the Brit softly said, “Are you okay, Miss? You don’t have to worry. Flesher never lets us indulge in our baser instincts while on a job.”







The girl nodded her head as if she understood, but Miles wasn’t so sure she did understand. She was too afraid of Harris to say otherwise. Miles knew he and his comrades needed to get this girl to safety before Harris decided to kill her.







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*







Razor stepped into the Rusty Beaver. He had thought about hitting Willy’s Alibi Room, but any demon could get into the establishment’s back room. Bernd ‘the Zoof’ Achen, owner of the Rusty Beaver, didn’t let just anyone into his private rooms. He knew if Lawson was around, it would be at the Rusty Beaver.







“I’m lookin’ for Lawson,” Razor growled at the barkeep.







“Second room on the right,” the bartender answered with a jerk of his head. His eyes never left the gyrating demoness on the stage.







“Send me back a bottle of your raunchiest rock gut,” Razor snarled.







“Will do, man.”







Razor set off towards the back rooms. He barged into the room the barkeep had indicated. Inside he found Lawson and a couple of Aurelian minions playing cards.







“Lawson, my old friend,” Razor gurgled in delight. He actually liked the young dark-haired vampire. Not too many of the half-breeds were worth associating with, but the Aurelians were cut from a different cloth than other vamps. “Long time no see.”









“Razor!” Lawson rose to his feet. He held out his free hand towards the mercenary demon.







Razor gripped the offered hand. “So, who do I have to destroy for you, Lawson?”







Lawson chuckled. Razor always wanted to get down to business first and leave the pleasure for a close second. Lawson picked up a file, and he handed it to the other demon. “The mark’s name is Xander Harris. He’s human, but he’s under the influences of some very dark thralls.”







Razor took a look at the file. After a few minutes, he asked, “Why not just take care of it yourselves?” He knew Lawson and his boss Spike had no qualms about taking out a problem human. There must be more to the story.







“He used to be friends with Spike’s new mate,” Lawson replied.







A knock on the door interrupted the discussion. One of the waitresses brought Razor’s bottle of alcohol into the room. She put it on the table where indicated, and after she left the conversation continued.







“Spike’s new mate is a Slayer.” Lawson rubbed his chin. He sat down, and he poured himself a drink.







Razor seated himself across from Lawson. He perused the file for a few minutes longer, memorized the provided photograph, and threw the sheath of papers down. He poured his own drink. “I’ll expect my usual fee.”







Lawson snapped his fingers at one of the minions who pulled a cell phone out of his pocket. “It’ll be in your account within the hour.”







Razor grinned. “Excellent. Harris is as good as dead.”