Author's Chapter Notes:
PB beta'd!! Isn't she awesome?! Wonderful writer, friend and beta!! *smooooochie!* Thanks to Xaphania for the wonderful banner!!
"Well, Well. What do we have here?" Lorne said as his other interview of the day walked into the office. "Aren't you a Billy Idol flashback! Unfortunately, as the manager of this fine camp. , I have to remind you that this is not a rock and roll band." He chuckled and pointed to the seat in front of him, gesturing for the teen to sit.

"Oh, no worries. I will make myself kid friendly for the job. But I want to keep my hair and my piercins'. Is that ok?" He sat down in front of Lorne and folded his hands in his lap.

"The hair can stay. As for the piercings, can you find a clear ring to go in your eyebrow? Just to make it less noticeable?" Lorne asked and picked up the boy's resume.

"Yeah. I can do that," he replied and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Alright. With that all figured out, on to the interview part of this meeting." Lorne smiled and went on asking the usual questions.

With the way he looked, Lorne would have turned him down right away. But just like Elizabeth, something about him just made him want him as a counselor. Lorne had learned a long time ago that he should always trust his gut instinct on people, and his gut had never failed him before. Just looking at him, Lorne knew that he had the bad boy facade to cover up a shy, sweet boy on the inside. Someone made him feel bad about his inner boy and made him harden up on the outside. There was no way he wasn't going to let him on the crew.

"Okay, I've heard enough Mr. Pratt. You are on the crew! Now we just need a nickname for you." Lorne leaned over the desk to shake his hand.

"Well, I sort of already have a nickname. Maybe we could use that one?"

"And what would that be?"

"Spike,"

Lorne liked it. It suited him well. "That will work. It suits you and the kids will love it. I have a feeling you're going to be popular with both the boys and the girls," Lorne winked and stood up to walk to his door. "You will be receiving a nametag, a list of things to bring and a camp ground package that will explain your duties and such in the mail. Feel free to walk around the grounds while you wait for your ride."

Spike nodded and walked out of the office. He turned around and looked at his new boss. "Thanks, mate. You won't regret hiring me."

"No problem. I'm looking forward to having you on the crew."

Spike smiled and walked down the hall. There was no real reason for him to stick around, considering he had his motorcycle to ride home on, but he figured there would be nothing wrong with taking a walk around. He loved going to this camp as a kid, so when Lorne called him and offered the job, he couldn't refuse it. It wasn't a job he would normally take, but he looked forward to it anyway.

Spike walked down the familiar pathway that led to the swing sets and sat on the one he used to sit on as a kid. There were lots of things he remembered about going to camp when he was younger, but most of those memories were about her. He hadn't talked to her in a long time, but just being here on the camp site brought back the memories of having her by his side. Laughing and running around. He missed her a lot and wondered what she would look like now, if she would remember him as vividly as he remembered her. He sat on the swing on the left side and slowly started to swing, letting his mind wander to a time when she was swinging beside him.

~FLASHBACK~

"Want to go to the swings, William?" Liz asked him as they finished up their lunch.

They were allowed 30 minutes of free time after lunch before the groups would go out and do their scheduled activities. He couldn't think of anything else he would rather do, so he just nodded his head and stood up to put his tray away. When they both had dumped their trays and walked out of the doors, he was shocked when Liz slipped her hand in his and started to run, pulling him with her as she giggled. He smiled and started to run with her.

When they got to the swings, Liz let go of his hand and jumped onto the right side and asked him to give her a push. He gave her a couple of pushes then jumped onto the vacant swing beside her.

"Why did you make us run?" he asked her as he started to pump his legs to swing higher.

"I didn't want to waste any time. If we walked we would only be halfway here," She she replied, and threw her head back, letting her brown hair fly in the breeze as she swung back and forth.

She was a vision. William found it hard to look away from her at some moments. Specially when she was laughing. The way her eyes would twinkle and her nose would scrunch up. He adored her, but she only saw him as a friend and he wouldn't jeopardize that. He would rather have her as a friend than nothing at all.

He smiled at her and nodded his head. "I get it. Good idea."

"I have a question," she said, slowing down so she could look at his face clearly, instead of blurry from the speed of her motion. "Why do you speak funny?"

"I may speak funny to you, but to me it's you that speaks funny. I'm not from around here. I used to live in England. My parents moved my family here last summer because my dad did something good at his company and got relocated. My parents sent me to this camp so I could make more friends and learn how to lose my accent," he lifted his head up to look at the sun that was filtering through the trees. "I don't know if I want to lose it though."

"I don't think you should lose it either. I like it."

William smiled and lowered his head again. He hated that he was so shy, but around her, he couldn't help it. "I like your accent, too," he whispered, hoping that she might not have heard it.

When he looked up at her again she was smiling broadly at him. He loved that he was the one to put that smile on her face and made a promise to himself to make her smile like that more often.

"How old are you?" she asked him, cocking her head to the side.

"I just turned 8. How old are you?"

"I'm almost 8," she replied, jumping off the swing, and then she walked away from the sand to the grass. She took the sweater that was around her waist off and spread it out on the ground. She laid down on her back and used the sweater to keep her hair out of the grass. She looked over to William and beckoned him over with her hand.

He went over to her and laid down beside her, using the other half of the sweater for his head and looked up at the clouds in the sky.

They spent the remaining time laying in the grass, pointing out the shapes of different clouds and getting to know a little more about each other and their lives at home. They heard the bell ring that told them to get back into their separate groups. They stood up and she bent down to pick up her sweater and wrapped it around her waist again. "Will you make me a promise?" Buffy asked and slid her hand into his again as they made their way back down the path to their group leaders.

"Anything you want, pet," he said, using a form of endearment he had heard his dad call his mum. She must of liked it because she smiled at him again.

"Promise me that we will hang out like that every day. Promise me that we will be best friends every year that we come back here. Okay?"

He looked over at her and smiled his own smile. He was utterly happy that she wanted to be him to be her best friend. "I promise, luv,"

She giggled and hugged him before she bounced off to her group, leaving William to watch her. He was glad that he let his parents talk him into going to summer camp. Now he was going to beg his parents to let him return year after year so he could spend his summers with her.

~END FLASHBACK~

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews? *innocent face*