Author's Chapter Notes:
THANK YOU to the wonderfully lovely PaganBaby for beta'ing so quick!! Chapter is dedicated to EvilBuffy for being so sweet in the Cbox today!! You are awesome! *hugs* Hope you enjoy! All praise goes to Xaphania for the banner! Her awesome banner makin' skillz are.. well awesome lol
Buffy groaned, slamming her lunch try down on the table beside Willow. “Today sucks,” she told Willow, picking at her food with her fork. “Why did I have to be the leader of the Swans?”

“What happened?” Willow asked as she spooned some potato salad into her mouth, looking at Buffy's shirt and hair, wondering what had happened.

“Well, Linda got mad at Shelley for using her towel at the lake. So Shelley decided to throw it in the lake. Linda got mad and pushed Shelley into the lake so I had to jump in a help her. While in the middle of helping her, she pulled my hair and bit my shoulder. THEN, when Shelley got out of the lake, she did the same thing to Linda.”

“After we left the lake, we went to arts and crafts. Shelley decided that Linda needed some sparkles in her hair, so she dumped some all over her. Linda got upset and dumped red paint all over Shelley, and then a big fight ensued. I had to break it up and that is why my shirt and hair is all red and sparkly.”

“Haven't had time to change it?”

“Nope,”

Willow looked past Buffy's head and saw Spike coming right for their table. Her eyes widened at Buffy. “Uh... This is totally going to ruin your day further but... Spike is on his way over right now,” she said, giving her a sympathetic grin.

Buffy started to panic. 'Oh God! He can't see me like this!' she thought to herself and looked at Willow for help.

Willow just shrugged, muttered a 'sorry' and went on eating her lunch. Buffy decided that eating was over rated at the moment and decided to run to her cabin to change her shirt before Spike saw her. She grabbed her tray and stood up quickly. A little too quickly. As soon as she stood up, she bumped right into his muscular chest, sending the food on her lunch try all over said chest.

“Oh no! I'm so sorry!” she said, scraping off some of the potato salad with her fork.

“Thanks for the welcome, luv,” he said as the people around them laughed.

“Yeah, I love embarrassing myself as a hello.” She rolled her eyes, dropped her tray on the nearest table and took off.

She ran out of the cafeteria, down the pathway and to the swings. She sat down on the swing with a huff and wiped a tear from her cheek. 'The hottest guy ever, and you humiliate yourself. Good job, Elizabeth.'

She started to pump her legs as she heard her nickname being called from the pathway. She thought about bolting again, but she had lost all the fight in her. She kept swinging as he got closer. Spike got to the end of the path and stopped when he saw her, swinging on the same swing Elizabeth swung on so many years ago. His mind flashed back to the little brunette girl and gasped. 'Can it be? Is she...'

“Elizabeth?” he whispered.

Deciding that it couldn't possibly be her, he walked over to the other swing and started to match her leg pumps. “You okay, pet?”

“No,”

“Rough day?”

“Yes.”

“Wanna talk about it?”

“Nope.”

He simply nodded and swung beside her. Buffy groaned and slowed her swinging so she could jump off, landing perfectly on her feet then plopping down on the wooden ledge that surrounded the sand.

“Was I that big of a brat when I was in The Swans?” she asked more to herself than to him.

“Dunno', luv. I was in The Eagles when I went here,” he said, remembering that Elizabeth was in the same group when she came to camp. “What's your real name?” he asked, hoping that she should give him an answer.

“Elizabeth,”

His eyes widened, using all the willpower he had in his body to refrain from picking her up and twirling her around. “Nice name.”

He wasn't going to tell her. She wouldn't like him if he told her. Who would want shy, nerdy William? She knew the real him. One of the only people who knew the real him. She would never go for him if she knew.

“What's yours?”


“I already told you,” he replied, suddenly feeling really nervous around her.

“Whatever.” She groaned and got up to leave.

Spike jumped up and put his hand on her shoulder. “Where are you going? I wanted to hang out with you.”

She shrugged his hand off of her and spun around to face him. “While I am on my break, I am going to change my shirt and wash my hair. If you haven't noticed, I have red paint and sparkles all over me. So, if you don't mind...” She told him, leaving the sentence open.

He watched her walk away, a million memories running through his mind. The one that stood out the most, was the last time she walked away from him.

~FLASHBACK~

It was the last day. The camp was having an 'End of summer Dance' and William had watched as Elizabeth dance and flirt with Liam the whole time. He knew he would never have a chance with her, but he still wanted to have at least one dance with her without 'Liam the Ponce' butting in. He gathered up his courage and walked over to her. He tapped her shoulder and she turned to face him.

“William! I haven't seen you all night! Are you having fun?” she asked, hugging him tightly, and then taking a sip of her fruit punch.

“It's alright. Just a silly dance,” he replied, hoping that he sounded cool so he had a better chance at getting her to dance with him.

“Alright, kiddos! Time for the last dance of the night! Grab your partners and head to the dance floor!” Lorne said into the microphone and turned on a slow song.

“Ohh, I love this song!” she giggled and swayed to the beat.

“Uh... Listen, I was wondering if maybe --”

“Move it or lose it, nerd-boy,” Liam said and pushed him out of the way. “Want to dance, Lizzie?” Liam asked and Elizabeth blushed.

“Lizzie?” William said and shook his head.

“Of course, I would love to!” she smiled and slipped her hand in his.

He watched them walk away and he sighed. “Always a little too late, mate,” he whispered to himself and started to walk away.

He went outside of the small gym room and sat on the swinging bench outside, wondering if Elizabeth would even notice he was gone.

“Hey, bud. What'cha doing outside all by yourself?” Rose asked and sat down beside him.

“Felt like being alone, is all, .”

“Do you want me to go?”

He looked up and saw Elizabeth standing in front of him. He looked over to Rose and nodded at her with a pleading look. She leaned over and gave him a brief hug, then left them alone.

“Why did you leave?” Buffy asked him, taking Rose's spot on the bench.

“Got bored, I guess,” he said and kicked some rocks by his feet.

“I would have danced with you, you know,” she told him, trying her hardest to cheer him up.

“What about Liam? You seemed pretty eager to dance with him,” he said accusingly. Why would she want to dance with her loser best friend? He was starting to get really mad at himself for falling for a girl he could never have, and her for making him fall for her.

“I have been dancing with him all night. I would have danced with you. Ask me again, the song is still going.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Moment's gone. Song is almost over anyway,” he said and stood up to walk back to his cabin.

“Where are you going? Don't you want to talk?” she asked, jogging to catch up to him.

“Fine, you want to talk? How about this? I'm not coming back next year,” he lied, crossing his arms over his chest in a defensive manner.

“What? Why not?”

“My parents are moving us back to England. Indefinitely,”

Elizabeth didn't know what to say. She didn't know what to think. Her best friend was moving away. Who was she going to spend her summers with? Tears started to form around her eyes as the thought of losing him sunk in. “Then I won't be coming back, either.”

“Fine.”

“Fine!”

“Do whatever you bloody well want, I don't care!”

“I will!” she hollered and turned away from him. She let the tears finally fall.

He watched her walk away from him for the last time. Maybe he would come back next year. Maybe he wouldn't. For all her he could think of at that moment, was how much his heart was breaking watching her walk away.

“I love you,” he whispered into the cool night air. A sentiment he would never her back from her.

~END FLASHBACK~

Spike shook his head out of his memory and ran after her. He wasn't going to let her get away so easy this time. If she didn't like him because he was William, then he would settle for just being her friend. But he wasn't going to let her get away again.

He knocked on the cabin door and opened it. “Buffy? You in here?”

“Yeah, in here,” she replied, slipping her shirt over her clean shirt over her head before he entered her room.

He walked into her room and sat down on the small twin bed. She sat down too, resting her back against the wall and bringing her knees up to her chest.

“If I tell you something, do you promise not to freak out?” he asked. He could do this! He had to!

“I promise.”

“Well...” he hesitated. He wanted her to know, but then again he didn't. What if she didn't want to hang out with him anymore because of the way he had ended their friendship? What if she hated William? Instead of telling her that he was William, he blurted out the first thought that came to his mind. “I really, really like you.”

'Balls'

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews? I will love you forever if you leave me a review! *bats eyelashes*