Author's Chapter Notes:
It's unbeta'd, so bear with me! All praise goes to Xaphania for the wonderful banner!!
Instead of telling her that he was William, he blurted out the first thought that came to his mind. “I really, really like you.”

'Balls'


“Wow, that was random.” Buffy giggled, pulled out of her bad mood for a moment.

Spike stood up quickly, tripping on her fan cord and stumbling backwards until her hit the wall behind him. He slid down the wall, rubbing his head. “Ow. That was horrible.”

“Kind of was.” She laughed and got up to help him up.

He smiled at her, happy that she was laughing, but still extremely embarrassed. “Thanks, pet.”

They stood in front of each other for a couple of minutes, Spike still rubbing his head and Buffy playing with her hands behind her back.

“So I--”
“You go first--”
“No you go first--”

“Okay! That is creepy,” Buffy said and sat down on her bed. “I only ever saw that on movies.”

“Me too. But you go first. I insist.”

Buffy nodded and patted her bed, silently asking him to sit down beside her. He sat down and she turned toward him. “You really like me? Because I have never had a real boyfriend before. Too busy with my school work and family stuff. I like you too. A lot. But I don't really know what to do in these situations because I have never been here before, you know? So I--” She noticed she was rambling and he was smirking at her. She calmed her nerves a bit with a deep breath and then started over.

“I like you too.”

“Uh huh.” He said, still smirking at her troubles. She really hadn't done this before.

“I would like to maybe try “us” out... If you want.”

“Okay, go on.”

“But you will have to... you know... be patient with me. I am usually a fast learner but I Like you a lot and I want to take a chance and am I being totally lame right now?!”

He chuckled and pulled her into a hug. “Not at all, luv. A little silly maybe. But not lame,” he told her and she scoffed, lowering her face so he couldn't see her. He lifted her chin up with his finger, and kissed her forehead. “It's okay. It's adorable. I will be patient with you. I promise.”

“Will you take me on a date?”

“A date? We are in the middle of bloody no where! Where am I supposed to take you?” he asked, looking at her like she was crazy.

“I don't know. Improvise.” She giggled and sat up straight.

“Okay.” He thought about it for a couple of minutes and then smiled seductively. “I got it. Tonight. Meet me by the lake.”

~~~~~**

Spike stood by the beginning of the docks. He was nervous about tonight and he didn't know what to expect from her. He loved hanging out with her at the lake the other night and was hoping that they would have as much fun tonight. He started to plan more nightly excursions they could do for the rest of the remaining week and a half. What was going to happen when this was over?

He had a ticket to England. His parents wanted him to go to university out there. He was supposed to jump on the plane right after he was done here and go out to London to live with his Uncle Giles. He was happy to take the ticket at first. He had wanted to get away from Drusilla, the nasty bitch that she is. He dropped his smoke and crushed it under his boot. Now that Buffy was back in his life, what was he going to do with the ticket?

He sighed and slouched his shoulders. “Fuck.”

“Well, if your that happy to see me, I should just go back to the cabins.” She giggled and turned away from him.

His head snapped up and he looked at her. “No! No, that wasn't toward you that was toward--”

“I know. It's okay, I was kidding, silly,” she smiled and kissed his cheek. “So... what do you have planned for us tonight?”

Spike didn't hear a word she said. He was too busy checking her out. He looked at her feet, wearing sandals and sparkly pink polish. Then her legs, long, sexy and flawlessly tanned. She was wearing a see through white shirt that hug to her mid thigh, showing off her tanned skin and black bikini underneath. Her hair was around her shoulders in waves and her makeup was light. She was breathtaking. “Huh's that, luv?”

“I asked what you had planned for us.”

“Oh, right! Sorry, I zoned out,” He bent over and picked up a sheet and a picnic basket. “Follow me.”

He slipped her arm around his as they walked, making light conversation. He led her down a very familiar path. She wracked her memory for where she knew the path before and gasped when she remembered. It lead to the 'rock cliff' as she and William called it. It was an opening in the trees, looking over the rock cliff on the lake. It was as beautiful as she remembered. “William.” She whispered.

He stiffened and turned toward her after laying the blanket out. “What?”

“Oh... nothing. I just have some memories here. Of me and my friend William.”

He grasped her hand and pulled her down beside him. He flipped open the picnic basket and handed her a can of Pepsi. “I robbed the cafeteria. Drinks and some snacks.” he said, informing her of where he had gotten everything. “Want to talk about William?” he askd, feeling weird to ask about himself. But he wanted to know what she thought of him after all these years.

“Well... What we had was special. He was my best friend. He was my everything for like 5 years. We met here and we talked and met up throughout the years outside of camp. But then the last summer, I was 12 and he was 13, it was at the dance. We were finally old enough to go to it, and I guess he wanted to dance with me.”

“I spent most of the night dancing with Liam. I thought William didn't like me that way, so I didn't ask him. He went to ask me, I guess. But Liam interrupted him and I accepted Liam's offer and William left. I saw that he was gone so I went out to talk to him and he got mad with me. He told me he wasn't going to come back here. He told me he was moving and I knew it was because I never told him how I felt.”

William wanted nothing more than to pull her close and tell her he was William, but he still didn't know how she felt about him after all these years. “How did you feel about him?”

“I loved him. I know I was only a little girl, but you don't find connections like that everyday. We did everything, shared everything, told each other everything. He was the only boy I let close to me. But then I figured he would never love me back, so I tried to transfer my feelings to Liam but it didn't work. We didn't have that connection. It almost killed me when William told me he was leaving. We lost contact.” He sighed, wiping the tears from her cheek.

“Are you angry with him?” Spike asked, hating how much pain he had caused her with his actions as a child.

“I don't know. All I know is that it hurt. It hurts. In all kinds of horrible ways. In the way where I'm furious at him. In the way where I blame myself. And all the little ways I imagine how I could have fixed things,” she wiped the final tear from her cheek and smiled. “But enough about another guy on our date. That is in my past. William will always be apart of me, but I have moved on. What about you? Ever had a connection like that?” she asked.

He laid down on his back, staring up at the sky and thinking of a way to answer her question. He laid back with him, resting her head on his shoulder. He brought his hand up to play with the hair and sighed. “Yeah, I did. Once.”

“Tell me about it?”

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews? Pwwweeeaaaaase?? *buts eyelashes*