Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy!
“That's because you are her,” he whispered.

Buffy's eyes flew open. Did he just...? Is he telling her that he is William? It can't possibly be. William is too shy and sweet to be this self confident 'I'm the Big Bad' guy. But what if he is William? How is she supposed to react to this news? She hadn't seen William in almost five years! Not to mention how the relationship ended. She bolted upright and turned to face him. He was now sitting up too, all wide-eyed and with an 'Oh shit, what is going to happen' look on his face.

She couldn't believe him. There was no way that this man was her William. She looked at him with all the emotion she was feeling for him. Shock, confusion, anger, happiness, sadness and fear. She was so buzzed with emotion that all she could say was, “Are you fucking serious?” All the anger and frustration she felt for William pouring to the front of her mind, clouding her happiness.

“Yes, pet. Do you want me to prove it?” he asked, fidgeting under her intense stare.

“Yes. I don't believe you. You can't be William. He went to England. He said he was staying there indefinitely,” she told him. She wouldn't believe him unless he proved it. She glared at him and pointed a finger at him as if she was scolding him. “I'm going to ask you a couple of questions and I want you to tell me the answers. If you get them wrong I am going to be so pissed that you are playing with my emotions this way, okay?” He simply nodded at her and she thought of a perfect question she could ask him. “What was my favorite stuffed animal and it's name?”

“A stuffed pig. You loved that bloody thing. Mr. Gordo is his name,” he answered with a smug grin. That was easy.

“Lucky guess. The pig is in my room. You could have seen him. Next question; What did we do the Halloween we met up in LA?”

“You were dressed as Little Riding Hood and I was a vampire. We were both 12,” he added that for extra points. He loved that Halloween, there was no way any little tidbit of information about that night could escape his memory.

“We took off from our parents and spent 2 hours hiding out in the yellow tubes in a park. We ate so much candy that we were both sick but still ate more. Our parents were so furious we almost didn't get to go to camp that year, but we both talked them into letting us go,” he smirked at the memory and the look on her face. “I believe you called it 'harmless candy eating'.” He chuckled and pulled a couple of blades of grass out of the ground.

“Okay, that was easy... A lucky guess, again. I mean how many kids have not done that?” she tipped her head in thought then gasped. “Okay! Why did we get in trouble with our camp leaders? And what was our punishment?” 'Hah! He won't get this one unless he really is William.'

“We got in trouble cuz' we stole a bag of marshmallows one night and camped out right in this spot. We spent the night eating said marshmallows and coming up with wacky road trips and space exploring ideas. We also shared our first kiss that night together as 'practice'.” Buffy let out a little gasp and he knew she was starting to believe him. He smiled and took her hand in his.

“The best night of my life... Our punishment was bullocks. I hated the next three days but I never regretted that night. We weren't allowed to spend our 30 minute lunchtime with each other for three days. I was bored to tears sitting in that lunchroom with you on the other side. But you always made me smile by making funny faces or mimicking the leaders when they had their back to you.” He brought her hand up and left a lingering kiss on the back of it, tracing little circles with his thumb on her wrist.

He was right. Everything he answered was right. She was really looking at her long lost best friend. All the anger and frustration turned into unbelievable happiness and sadness all at once. She broke. She burst out crying and threw her arms around his neck. “Oh William! It's really you! You came back to me!” She sobbed, holding onto him like he was her only lifeline.

“Yeah, luv. I did.” 'Not going to cry... Not going to cry!' He chanted in his head like a mantra.

This was not what he had expected. Sure, he expected a few happy tears, a hug, maybe a couple of pleasantries like “How have you been these years?” or “I have missed you a whole bunch... Tell me all your dirty secrets!” but he didn't except this. He wrapped his arms around her and whispered soothing words to her. He didn't want to make her cry again. That was the last thing he wanted.

He wanted to take her into his arms, kiss her breathless and make love to her. Claim her for his own. He would would take her to Vegas and elope with a bloody Elvis impersonator as their priest. He didn't care. He just wanted her all for himself. He never wanted to hurt her again.

“Buffy?” he asked and looked down at her. “I really did love you back then... I don't think I will have any problems falling in love with you again. If you'll have me, that is.”

He looked so insecure. That was the William she knew. Not... whoever this Spike character he had become. What had happened to him to make him so hard on the outside? Where was the guy she grew up with and loved. Sure he was attractive... Really attractive. But she wanted William back. She wanted her best friend.

“What are you thinking, Elizabeth?” he asked. He really wanted to know. He was growing uncomfortable with her silence. She had never been this quiet with him in all the years he was with her. She always had something to say back then. “What's going through that pretty lil' noggin of your's?”

She didn't know what to think. Here was the guy she had been heartbroken over for the last five years. How was she supposed to just... accept him back into her life like nothing had happened?

Although she had missed him—missed him so much it hurt sometimes—she was still hurting from how he had left. What did he do while he was in England? What led him back here? Why hadn't he tried to contact her? Why was he at the camp again? Why now? There were so many things that she wanted to ask him. But the only thing she wanted to know first was...

“William?” she placed her hand on the side of his face and tilted her head.

“What?” he asked, leaning into her touch. He wasn't sure what she was about to ask, but anxious to find out.

“Why did you leave me?”

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews? *bats eyelashes* Even if you say "Good chapter, more please" I would like to know what you thought! Thanks! Beta'd by the lovely and wonderful PaganBaby!! Love ya lots, hun! *smooch*