Chapter 3:

The silver blade swings with speed through the air. Buffy’s ax swiftly decapitates the zombie before her and she watches as his head rolls through the grass. Their quest toward Lowell house started out fairly easy, most of the creatures were wide spread, but as they moved more and more seemed to appear. Buffy spins around sending a kick to the chest of one of the zombies then she see another gruesome undead student moving in close on her. His white eyes stare at her with a glazed over look and Buffy raises her ax to swing. Before she gets the chance though she watches as the zombie’s brains go flying out the side of his head in a grotesque splatter of red and pink goo. His body, now truly dead falls to the ground. Buffy looks to her left to see Riley standing with his gun aimed.

Buffy then looks to her right to see Spike charging at a zombie with his sword raised high and a loud rebel yell falling from his lips as he decapitates the creature with excitement. Buffy rolls her eyes at him watching as he enjoys himself just a little too much.

“Come on, we’ve got to keep moving,” Riley says as he walks up to Buffy.

Spike stabs his sword through the eye of another zombie effectively killing it then see’s Buffy and Riley walking off continuing their mission toward Lowell house. Spike uses his foot to hold the body down as he pulls his sword free and picks up the pace following after Buffy and Riley. For a moment he thinks about just taking off, while he had been up for a fight earlier that night he wasn’t looking to save the world and possibly get eaten in the process, but then Spike glances back and sees an army of undead moving toward them in a clumsy slow stagger. It’s that sight that makes Spike realize that if they don’t stop them nothing will; and if they aren’t stopped all his ‘happy-meals with legs’ will disappear, and those are something that he’s looking forward to sinking his teeth into once he gets the chip removed. Spike picks up the pace and catches up with Buffy and Riley.

--

Anya has the blinds spread apart as she stares out the window from her kneeling position on Willow’s bed. She watches as the zombies swarm around the building. Behind her Xander paces the room restlessly while Willow’s eyes move back and forth in their sockets as she watches him from her seated position on her bed. They can hear the creatures moving around through the door. They can hear them pacing and groaning, and every now and then they hear a blood curdling scream from someone who was foolish enough to venture out of their dorm room, and then they would hear as that person was eaten alive.

“We can’t stay here,” Xander says as another scream is heard from the hall and his pacing stops abruptly.

“We can’t run, those things are out there,” Willow says.

“I agree with Willow… do you not hear the screaming? Those are not happy orgasm screams those are painful ‘I’m being eaten alive screams’ trust me, I heard plenty of them when I was a vengeance demon.” Anya adds in.

“Yeah I hear them, but I’m also thinking about what happens if Buffy can’t stop this… we can’t stay in here forever.”

“Xander, Buffy will fix this, her and Riley and Spike… they’ll fix this,” Willow says with wavering certainty.

“Not that I don’t have complete faith in Buffy, but what if she can’t… let’s be realistic Will. These things are everywhere… what are we gonna do when waiting for their next meal to venture out in the hall isn’t enough and they try to get in here.”

“My whole, let’s run in the other direction plan is starting to look like a good idea now huh?” Anya says standing up from the bed.

--

Buffy, Spike and Riley walk through the large double doors of Lowell house. At first glance the building is void of any zombies. All together it seems completely empty and in truth Buffy thinks that it most likely is. After all, the commandos live here and they would surely have all been called down into the Initiative. Riley glances back at Buffy and then silently and stealthily he makes his way up the staircase with Buffy and Spike following him.

As they reach the top of the stairs Buffy is glad to see the hallway free of zombies. She and Spike follow Riley down the hall and Buffy watches as Riley stops before a full length mirror. She walks up next to him and gives him an odd look confused by why he’s stopped.

“This is the entrance to the Initiative,” Riley explains.

Buffy makes an ‘o’ face and then glances at Spike. He looks a little uncomfortable. The second Spike heard the word Initiative a shiver ran through his body as memories from when he was held captive entered his mind. Spike now braces himself for where he will soon be venturing. As Riley stands before the mirror waiting for it to read his features and open to reveal the elevator he finds that it’s taking longer then usual. Then after another moment Riley realizes that it’s not going to open at all. The Initiative has gone into lock down; they’ll have to go in the back way.

“What’s wrong,” Buffy asks reading Riley’s face.

“It’s not working, were gonna have to go in through the hatch outside,” Riley says as he starts to make his way back to the stairs. “There’s an entrance outside that opens up in the woods, from there we have to get to the command central and punch in the security code that will fix all of this.”

Riley stops as he reaches the start of the staircase. He, as well as Buffy and Spike look out over the swarm of zombies that have filled into the lower part of the house. Zombies that are waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs.

“Uh, Slayer… I think we may have a problem,” Spike says.

“Oh God,” is all Buffy manages to choke out.

Riley raises his gun and shoots down the closest zombies to them, meanwhile Buffy and Spike both raise their weapons and help to push back the creatures.

“Four, three, two, seven,” Riley says, just before shooting down more of the undead beings.

“Huh,” Buffy responds.

“That’s the access code to open any door in the Initiative, forty-three, twenty-seven… and c one forty-five is the room number for command central, you’ll have to go down three flights of stairs to get to it.”

“Riley, why are you telling me this?”

“Just incase… now the code to set off the fail-all is thirty-two, ninety six… can you remember all that.”

“Yeah, but Riley.”

“Buffy, we don’t have time to argue… I got your back, get out of here.”

Buffy stops asking questions, she doesn’t have time to think because they’re closing in. The three of them have made their way down the stairs and have moved a few feet into the room. All of them are killing the creatures as fast as they can, but they keep coming. Buffy picks up the pace with her movement ignoring the creatures coming up behind her and pushing forward as fast as she can. From behind her Buffy can hear gun shots from Riley’s gun taking out the zombies as they come up behind her. As he does this Buffy knows that he’s not fighting off the ones that are coming after him.

Spike beheads one of the zombies only to have another wrap his hands around his sword. He punches the creature but it’s not enough to free his weapon. The zombie pulls the sword from Spike’s hands and tosses it across the room leaning in toward Spike with an open mouth. Spike punches the being again sending him reeling back and successfully knocking him over along with another undead student.

Spike pauses for a second then to look for Buffy and Riley. He turns around and notices that he’s somehow gotten in front of them. As he looks back he watches as a zombie comes up from behind Riley and hungrily sinks its teeth into the soldier's neck. He falls to the ground and within seconds the creatures are swarming in on him. It’s then that Buffy glances back. Riley screams and the horrific sound that spills from his lips reverberates through the air.

“Riley!” Buffy yells loudly even though she knows it’s too late. After she turns around a zombie comes up close behind her, she doesn’t see him, but Spike does. Spike steps in and punches the monster then grabs Buffy by the arm.

“Come on love, we don’t have time,” Spike says yanking Buffy toward an open dorm room which appears to be empty.

“No, Spike dont!” Buffy yells in protest, but he just pulls on her arm harder causing his chip to fire. As pain runs through his skull Spike thinks to himself that he should just leave her there, but he drags her through the open door anyway.

“Bloody hell slayer, I’m not just gonna let you become some unnatural mutation of the undead, now come on,” Spike says successfully yanking Buffy into the open dorm room and slams the door shut behind them.