Chapter 4:

Anya grips the sword that she pulled from Buffy’s closet, her knees are bent and she stands in total concentration, Xander aims the gun at the door and prepares himself to fire it, and Willow slowly turns the knob to open the door. They’ve decided to make a run for it. After over an hour of discussing the flesh eating creatures outside their door and hearing the terrifying screams of their victims’ cabin fever has gotten to Xander, Willow and Anya and they can’t wait any longer.

“Ready?” Willow asks.

“Not really, but I’m not gonna get any more ready so just do it,” Xander responds.

With a quick twist of her wrist Willow flings the door open and then quickly steps back behind Xander. All three of the scoobies tense up with fear. Willow had wanted to have a weapon, but what was left in Buffy’s closet wasn’t very useful considering the circumstances. Now, they all stare out the doorway. Each of them had been expecting a zombie to come charging in with a hungry growl the second the door flew open, but so far none have. Their muscles relax ever so slightly for a moment then fear overcomes them again as Xander moves closer to the doorway.

“Stay behind me,” Xander says as he steps to the door and very stealthily scopes out the hall. He sees one zombie at the far end of the hall and two at the other end. Blood is splattered across the walls and as Xander observes the scene before him he feels like he’s walked right into a teen slasher fic. Xander shoots both of the undead down with only two bullets then he turns, shoots and nails the one zombie at the other end of the hall with one sole shot. He then finds himself a little surprised at his accuracy, but also glad for it.

“Wow, Xander that was…”

“Really hot,” Anya says finishing Willow’s sentence.

“Not exactly what I was going to say… is that leftover commando-y-ness from when you were a soldier for Halloween?”

“I’m not real sure, but not really caring at the moment.”

“Right, lets worry about the flesh eating zombies, there will be time to reminisce later Willow,” Anya says.

--

Buffy sits on the edge of the bed in the dorm room that Spike has pulled her into. She’s been in a state of shock ever since she saw Riley fall to the floor to have his flesh ripped from him as the zombies ate him alive. Spike stands by the door and listens as the creatures moan and growl from the other side knowing that food is just beyond the barrier of one wall. Spike grabs a wood desk chair and props it under the door knob just incase they start to get more violent about getting in. Then Spike glances back at the slayer. She looks almost catatonic sitting at the edge of the bed staring at the floor with wide eyes.

“Alright Slayer, need you to snap out of it now, we need a plan,” Spike says as he walks up to her, but she doesn’t move. Spike grabs her by the shoulder and shakes her a little, “Buffy, you in there?”

Buffy looks up at him with bright green eyes but says nothing. Spike clenches his jaw as he stares at her unresponsiveness.

“They ate him,” Buffy chokes out, her words barely a whisper.

“I know love, and I’m sure it was real traumatic and all that… for you, not for me… but I need you to knock yourself out of whatever it is that’s going on with you,” Spike says, but still he gets no response.

Spike shakes her again, and while she seems awake she’s lost in her thoughts, lost in the images of the terror she’s seen. Buffy has seen horrible things, but the way they attacked Riley to feed on him, that was the worst of them. Spike thinks about hitting her to knock her out of her daze but doesn’t want to set off his chip. His nails push into the skin of her shoulders as he thinks about what to do. Then Spike’s eyes dart up to the window as a zombie pounds on it from outside. Spike quickly gets up and closes the blinds with hope that the assailants outside don’t learn of their position and don’t try to get in. When he turns back around Buffy is standing now, her eyes move from the window that he just closed to his face.

“We’re surrounded… Spike, they’re everywhere,” Buffy says in a timid and matter of fact voice.

“Yeah, I realize that Slayer, need to know what we do now.”

Thump, a loud bang is heard against the door that makes the chair that Spike propped against it shake and also causes Buffy to spin around to face it. She can hear the creatures moving all around; hear them trying to get in, trying to get to her, to eat her. She feels overwhelmed. They’re all around her and they keep coming, but worst of all she knows that they won’t stop until everything is dead.

“Slayer, did you hear me? Bloody hell Buffy,” Spike says grabbing Buffy by the shoulders once again.

“There’s too many of them… Spike we can’t… we’ll never… we can’t fight them… Oh God, Willow and Xander, they’re gonna get in there, I can’t stop them…” Buffy babbles in a speedy stammer. As her words continue to fall from her lips Spike does the only thing he can think of to stop those lips from moving. He kisses her. Spike eyes are closed whereas Buffy’s open wide as his lips meet hers, then after a moment her lashes flutter shut as well.

--

“Run!” Xander yells loudly back to Willow and Anya who are trying to keep up following behind him, their legs moving as fast as they can carry them.

“We are running,” Anya bites back.

The zombies started to zone in on them the second they made it out of the building, however they are still scattered enough to run fairly safely through them to the car. As Xander fires his gun shooting down another two zombies that have gotten in his way he notices that the car is in sight. He glances back at Willow and Anya and once he sees they’re okay he continues to make his way to the sedan.

The car door flies open the second that Xander reaches his sedan followed by two more doors opening as Anya jumps in the passenger seat and Willow gets in the back. Three slams sound through the night and attract the undead students toward the car. Xander fumbles with his keys and drops them to the floor while Willow and Anya stare out the windows at the nearing zombies.

“God, Xander hurry up, they’re getting closer to the car and I really don’t feel like having my brains eaten today,” Anya says as Xander finally gets a hold on the car key and sticks it in the ignition.

Thump, Willow and Anya let out loud high pitch screams as a zombie puts his hands on the glass of Willow’s window and leans against the car. They stare for a moment at his bleach white eyes and bloody clothing until Xander pulls into reverse. The car flies backward with force knocking one of the creatures to the ground then stops and Xander puts it in drive. With excessive speed Xander flies down the road.