Chapter 6:

Spike stares through the square metal grate of the vent and looks down into the lobby of Lowell house. From what he can see all the zombies are closely gathered near the door to the room they were in before leaving the front double doors wide open for the moment. He can hear them down below; hear their hungry groans and the nonsense sounds that fall from their drooling mouths. Spike shifts over as far as he can in the thin vent and glances back at Buffy to tell her what he sees, however, his words fall short as he finds that he has a perfect view down the front of her shirt. Once Buffy realizes where his line of sight is drawn to she gives him an exasperated look and he snaps out of his daze.

“You’re a pig Spike,” Buffy says.

“Yeah, yeah. I’ve heard it already… look I think we’ve got a clear shot to the front door. I don’t know what it’s like outside though.”

“Well that’s better then what we had before, we’ll just have to make a run for it.”

“Alright then… let’s do this,” Spike says as he punches the vent covering out and watches it fall through the air then clink on the ground.

In one swift movement Spike has jumped from the air duct and landed on the ground. He turns around and starts shooting at the zombies that have now noticed him as Buffy lands beside him. The creatures behind them turn from the dorm room door they were starring and clawing at and begin moving their wobbly feet in the direction of the vampire and the Slayer. Buffy pulls her guns out from their makeshift holders, she thinks for a moment how odd it is to have such modern weapons in her hands when she’s used to welding axes and swords. Then she realizes that she doesn’t have time for such thoughts and kicks open the front door. She put so much energy into that one kick that the double doors fly open and slam against the brick walls of the building. After a few more bullets fly the two of them are running at top speed across campus.

--

The ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign is about twenty minutes away and Xander prays silently in his head that he makes it there before he runs out of gas. The zombies are now fewer and far more spread out then they were closer to campus, but all the same the fact that this disease has spread this far at all scares the occupants of Xander’s car more then they’ve ever been scared before. Even the former vengeance demon finds herself cringing on occasion at the sight of the partially eaten humans walking about. Then Xander starts to wonder just what he’ll do when he makes it out of the city limits. It’s not like that Welcome sign is going to keep the zombies from coming after them.

Anya glances back at Willow and the new passenger of their car as they drive. She can sense something between the two women and looks them over noticing their entwined fingers. After a moment of intense glare from the ex-vengeance demon Willow looks to her and then feels a rush of embarrassment flood through her, for a moment it’s as if she were in junior high again getting up before the front of the class to give a speech and she’s positive that her face is beat red.

“Oh, um… yeah… guys… this is Tara,” Willow says, and watches as the woman beside her gives a shy smile and a small wave to Anya.

“Hello Tara, it’s very nice to meet you… although I’m sure it would be much nicer if we weren’t running for our lives right now,” Anya replies. “I’m Anya,” She then says pushing her hand out at Tara for her to shake which she does. “And this is Xander… he’s my boyfriend… mine.”

--

Buffy’s feet hit the ground with heavy thumps, she moves with all the energy and strength she has and refuses to look back. Even if she wanted to glance back her fear is too strong to let her. Buffy and Spike are far from Lowell house now, but neither is exactly sure where they’re running to. They’ve made their way past hundreds of zombies as they’ve moved across campus and now they’re moving into a more wooded area. The trees grow thicker and the grass grows longer as they move past the area that the mower covers.

“Stop! Buffy Stop,” Spike yells.

It takes the Slayer a moment or two to process Spike’s words, then her pace starts to slow, Buffy stops herself despite the part of her brain that’s yelling at her to keep running and she looks back at Spike. He’s about five yards behind her and after a quick glance Buffy notices that there aren’t any zombies near by. Cautiously but swiftly as well she makes her way over to him as he feels around on the ground violently tearing at the grass.

“It’s here… its right here, I know it,” Spike says as Buffy reaches his side.

“What?”

“The entrance to the Initiative… I remember it being right here.”

“Spike, are you sure… you said that once before…” Spike then finds the handle to the hidden door and lifts the metal hatch open. “Oh,” Buffy says as Spike gives her an ‘I told you so’ look.

“Last time I was all disoriented because of Red’s love spell or what have you… come on. This is it.”

“Wait,” Buffy says just as Spike is about to jump into the hole before him. “There’s going to be more of those things down there, we need a plan.”

“There’s no time for that Slayer, we can’t call for back up or sit around jabbering about this… it’s now or never. Now I’m going down there and I’m gonna do my best to fix this, are you with me?” Spike says as he reaches out his hand to the small blonde before him.

Buffy hesitates for a moment. She looks down at Spike’s hand and observes every line creased in his palm, then her mind drifts to Riley and how those things killed him, how they might be doing the same thing to her friends right now. Deep inside Buffy something tells her that this is the right thing to do. Buffy places her hand in Spikes and in that moment she decides to trust him. She decides to let him lead her into the dark and to fight beside him, because for once Buffy actually believes that he is on her side.

“I’m with you,” Buffy says.