Chapter 7:

Xander’s car is choking; it sputters and rumbles on the last of the gas fumes as its speed slows. Xander has officially run out of gas and he hasn’t even made it out of Sunnydale yet. He slams his foot down on the pedal trying to get the car to go even just a little bit further, but it refuses. As the car comes to a complete stop Xander thinks he was scared before, but now he’s terrified. Unmoving and alone on the dark road the only thing that Xander has to be happy about is that there aren’t any zombies in sight at that very moment.

“No, no, no,” Xander says smacking the steering wheel of his car.

“What’s wrong, what’s going on?” Anya asks.

“We’ve run out of gas.”

“What, no… no we can’t run out of gas,” Willow says with a frantic voice, “there are evil scary things after us we can’t just stop here all willy nilly. We have to keep going!”

“And while I would love to do that Will the car has other ideas,” Xander replies.

“I thought you got gas this morning?” Anya asks, “I thought you were going to put twenty bucks in, that should have gotten us out of town at least.”

“Well you see I was going to but…”

“But what Xander?” Willow asks.

“But they had a big sign in the window for two for one chocolate bars and… I only put ten bucks in.”

“God Xander, how much chocolate did you buy,” Anya says.

“We’re all going to die because you have a sweet tooth? I can’t believe this.”

--

Buffy and Spike walk through the tunnels of the Initiative, the lights above their heads flicker on and off and the sounds of an ongoing hungry battle can be heard from down the hall. Blood is smeared and splattered across the floor and walls and the smell of dead flesh is so strong that even the slayer herself is feeling nauseous. There is a sign on the wall with tiny pictures of stairs and an arrow. Spike points to it and Buffy follows him in the direction of the arrow. Riley’s instructions to go down three flights of stairs rings through Buffy’s mind as do images of the soldier just before they tore into him. The stairs come into view, but when they try to open the door to the stairwell they find that it’s locked.

“What the bugger?” Spike says as he pulls on the knob.

“The whole place is locked down remember… um… forty-three, twenty seven… that’s what Riley said the code was,” Buffy responds as she watches Spike punch the code into the buttons beside the door. Once he hits the last button the door opens and Buffy and Spike proceed on their mission.

The lights in the stairwell are bright, but upon first glance there are no zombies waiting there for them and for that Buffy breathes a sigh of relief. With their weapons raised Buffy and Spike slowly make their way deeper in to the belly of Initiative.

--

Xander moves one foot in front of the other. Anya stands close behind him and Willow and Tara are right behind her. They make their way in that line closer to the edge of town and farther from the car. Xander still holds the gun in his hand that Riley gave him earlier but as they walk through the limbo land between the safety of the car and the edge of town Xander doesn’t feel like it offers him much protection.

“I havn’t seen any evil undead in a while,” Xander says.

“Maybe the virus hasn’t gotten this far… maybe we’re past them all,” Willow says with a hopeful tone.

“Yeah maybe,” Anya says.

“Or maybe I spoke too soon… look.”

Willow points in the direction of three slow moving zombies making their way toward them and silently curses herself for jinxing them. She watches as Xander raises his gun to take them out before they get close enough to do any real harm. He aims at the creature in the middle of the group; his eyes lock in on him, and he pulls the trigger. Click, nothing happens.

“Damn,” Xander says as he lowers his aim and looks down at the gun in his hand.

“What? What’s wrong?” Anya asks.

“I’m out of bullets.”

The creatures in the distance seem to pick up their pace as they see the four of them standing out in the open as their next meal. Anya wraps her arms around Xander and Willow and Tara link fingers and squeeze them tight. Then all at once the four of them take off running as fast as they can to get out of Sunnydale and away from the zombies.

--

Spike pushes open the door to exit the stairwell and takes his first step toward the Initiative command central. Buffy follows behind him and is glad she does as the second they walk through the door a zombie rushes at Spike and he drops his gun. A surprised gasp escapes Buffy’s lips as the weapon clatters to the ground. The zombie is knocked to the floor from one of Spike’s punches and Buffy aims her gun at him. The metal once again feeling strange beneath her fingers, and she shoots the creature dead with one hit to the center of its forehead.

She then watches as blood pools out of the hole that she put in his head. The gun in her hand is a human weapon, and the dead commando before her was once human and somewhere in her mind she feels like she’s going against her calling in this killing. Buffy is frozen for a moment staring at the former commando and his pink blood smeared teeth. Spike then picks up his gun and snaps Buffy out of her daze.

“Come on Slayer, we’re almost there,” Spike says and his words seem to calm Buffy a little.

With one final look at the dead commando before her Buffy continues to follow Spike down the blood splattered passage with caution. The rest of the hall seems empty and Buffy hopes that they’ll get to c145 without running into anymore dead soldiers or lab coats, but she can hear them up ahead. She can hear them moaning and possibly eating in the rooms down the hall. Soon they come to their first door, luckily this one is closed and there are no zombies within the room. On the door the number c 142 is written and Buffy is glad that they’re close to their final destination.

--

Xander’s feet come to a dead stop, a stop more dead then the zombie standing before him; after all his feet have stopped moving but the creature before him has not. Anya then nearly runs into Xander as his feet stop moving and once she sees the reason for that she turns around. More zombies are behind them now, at least five. The four of them spin around and look in all directions for an escape route, but the things are everywhere. Like bats with radar they’re closing in on the scoobies leaving them with no where to run. All they have now is time as they wait for the creatures to get close enough to eat them, time in which all of them are silently praying that Buffy, Spike and Riley come through.

--

C145, they’ve finally reached it. As Spike peers into the room he sees four of the walking dead dressed in white blood coated lab coats. They haven’t noticed him peering in through the window yet and before he opens the door Spike decides to take a glance around the room. There isn’t much to it, just a single key pad set in a white desk. Spike then turns back to face Buffy.

“There’s three of them in there… do you remember the code for the anti-virus?” Spike says.

“Yeah, I’ve got it.”

“This door swings toward us… I’m gonna get them out of that room for you then this is all up to you slayer.”

Buffy looks up at Spike with big eyes, she had never expected him to use himself as a diversion and a small part of her is afraid that he might get hurt. Buffy then pushes that thought from her mind and concentrates on what she has to do. She simply nods at Spike and watches as he throws the door open.