Chapter 8:

Buffy crashes to the floor in a loud thump once her balance is lost from her foot sliding in the red liquid. The dead lab coats that had been in the room are in the hall now with Spike. Buffy heard a shot moments earlier and assumes that he’s killed at least one of them, but what’s concerning her most right now is her position on the floor. Buffy pushes herself to her feet, as she does she notices the smear of thick red blood down her front from landing on the ground. Then Buffy looks up and sees the key pad in the desk and rushes to it.

“Uh… what was the code…. Think Buffy think,” She says to herself as she tries to organizes the memories in her mind.

Out in the hall Spike had managed to kill one of the zombies and he lies bloodied and lifeless in a twist of mangled limbs on the floor. The other three, however, managed to knock his gun out of his hands. Now Spike is in a full out brawl with what remains of the Initiative scientists. He throws a hard punch at one sending him flying across the hall only to have two jump on his back with open mouths intent on biting into his jugular. For a moment the irony does not escape him as he realizes that a human, more or less, is now going for his throat.

Spike knocks them both to the ground and gets his hands around one of their heads. With a swift crank Spike snaps his head and the zombie falls completely dead to the floor. He wipes the blood from a split lip away and then looks to see that the other zombie that had jumped on his back is now headed for c145 where Spike is sure that he smells Buffy as fresh meat.

“Thirty two something… ug… Buffy think, what was it,” Buffy thinks aloud, then she hears the creature enter the room.

Buffy spins around to see a zombie mere inches from her snarling and glaring her down with dead white eyes. She sends out a kick landing it on his chin and sending him reeling back. As the creature stumbles Spike walks in the room and grabs him from behind in a firm headlock.

“Hurry up with that code slayer, we don’t have all day,” Spike says as he holds back the creature.

“Thirty two, ninty six… that’s it… I got it,” Buffy says as she spins back to the keyboard in the desk and punches the number in, right as she does Spike lets out a loud scream and Buffy spins back around to see why. Standing behind him is another zombie and this one has his teeth deep in Spike’s throat while he still holds on to the one trying to get to Buffy.

“Slayer, hit the sodding button or I’m going to let this blighter go and watch him tear into you!” Spike says and Buffy turns around. Without a seconds hesitation she hits the green enter button.

Green mist funnels into the room through the air vent and fills the space quickly.

--

Xander’s eyes were closed tight. Two seconds before it bit into Xander’s skin the walking dead Sunnydale resident fell to the ground choking on green mist and then fell silent. Through the lamp posts and manholes in the street the green mist pours out and fills the town with a thick green fog. It covers houses and leaks through cracks in window panes getting in and around everything, and as it gets into the lungs of the zombies they fall dead to the ground.

“They did it,” Willow says as she watches the creatures fall all around her.

“They’re all dead? Like dead dead?” Tara asks.

“Looks like,” Anya says poking one of them with her foot.

--

Spike tumbles to the ground along with the zombie that was feasting on his neck and the one he held tight to keep from reaching Buffy. His head hits the ground with a painful whacking sound and Buffy rushes to his side. She moves the bodies of the now truly dead men aside and then kneels next to Spike who looks like he’s suffering from the worst headache of his life and has his hand over the deep bite in his neck which is bleeding immensely.

“Spike,” Buffy says as her knees hit the ground.

“Did we do it?”

“Yeah… yeah I think so… are you okay? You’re not…”

“I’m fine love… Virus can’t touch me remember,” Spike says as he lifts himself into a seated position.

“Yeah, just making sure… here, let me see,” Buffy says reaching out to Spike and placing her hand on his to move it away from his wound.

When Spike’s hand is gone Buffy sees that the bite mark has already begun to heal. The bleeding has slowed and almost before her eyes what she thought could have been a bad enough bite to kill someone becomes a mere scratch. She runs her fingers over the already forming scar with a light touch then looks Spike in the eyes. She notices then their close proximity; she notices how his blue eyes are staring into her green ones. Buffy looks at Spike in that moment like she’s never looked at him before, like a man.

“We should get out of here,” Buffy says effectively breaking their eye contact.

“Right gotta get to the scoobies and all that,” Spike says as he stands up then watches Buffy do the same.

“Yeah.”

--

After exiting the Initiative Buffy and Spike went their separate ways. Spike ventured off to the closest cemetery to start his search for a new place of residence and Buffy made her way past the fallen undead and cascade of scattered body parts to Fischer Hall. She felt good for knowing that this is all over, but a part of her still worried for her friends. As she walked she glanced at the faces of every dead zombie that she passed for fear that it would be the face of one of her friends, but she never saw any of their faces. Now Buffy pushes the door of her dorm room open and panic strikes her once again as she sees that the room is empty. Then her eyes dash to the phone as the silence is broken by its ringing. Buffy runs to it and picks it up.

“Hello,” She says with a shaky voice into the receiver. “Xander it is so good to hear your voice, are you all ok… Good, just stay at your house… you guys are all, I mean you’re all… good, yeah, I’ll be right over,” Buffy then hangs up the phone and rushes out the door.

--

The sun is just starting to appear over the horizon and it illuminates Xander, Willow and Buffy in a warm glow as they lock together in a tight hug. Her torn and blood stained clothes are ignored as they squeeze her tight. Moments pass where Tara and Anya look on at the three of them, then slowly they pull away.

“I’m so glad you’re okay,” Xander says.

“Where’s Riley and Spike?” Willow asks as she pulls out of their hug then watches as her best friend’s face falls.

“Please tell me Spike got eaten,” Xander says.

“Riley… Riley didn’t make it,” Buffy says.

“Oh God, Buffy… I’m so sorry,” Willow says.

“It’s okay… what’s important is that this is all over and that we’re all safe.”

“Right… exactly… and we’re sure it’s all over right,” Xander says. Buffy simply smiles.