Hank shook his head in defeat as he followed his clearly crazy wife to the first car. Taking his seat, he noted William’s slightly perturbed expression as he held Buffy close to his chest, rubbing circles along her spine. He checked himself from growling as the boy’s hand dipped under his little girl’s top and he reminded himself that they were adults and she didn’t need his constant supervision anymore.

“She alright?” Hank gestured to his daughter and waited for William to look at him but the young man seemed preoccupied with the petite blonde.

Joyce smirked as she caught the slight smile on Buffy’s face. “She’ll be fine, Hank. Nothing William can’t fix when we get back home, I’m sure. I’m sure as soon as they get into bed things will clear up.” She patted her husband on the back when he sputtered in reply. His daughter in bed was not a subject he wanted to breech…ever and certainly not with a man in bed with her. He didn’t care if she was married and had been married for quite some time.

“Liam seemed a bit out of sorts after the game. Do you know what happened with that, Will?” Joyce addressed the bleached blonde again, watching as his eyes lifted to hers for a moment before returning to his wife.

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes and quickly ducked his head back down to stroke Buffy’s hair. As he lost himself in the sensation of the silken strands across his fingers, he addressed his mother-in-law, “don’t rightly know, Joyce. Wasn’t paying much attention to him. Might just be pre-wedding jitters, jus’ a couple ‘f days away now.”

“I do hope the poor lad isn’t getting cold feet. I’m sure Dru would be absolutely heartbroken.” Hank actually managed his way through the statement without rolling his eyes. Bloody git couldn’t manage to get cold feet if he tried. It would require actually thinkin’. Don’t think he has the brain capacity for it. ‘least William turned out alright. Good match.

“Is there any room in here? I so don’t want to drive back with Dumb and Dumber.” Dawn weaseled her way into the car between her parents. “What’s with Buffy?” She poked her sister’s leg with her foot, grinning when the older girl kicked her back and missed.

Buffy grumbled, “Was trying to sleep, brat. Why didn’t you want to ride back with Liam and Dru? Were they being weird all again?”

“Easy girls, that’s your sister you’re talking about. Don’t say anything you probably won’t regret, but remember I can ground at least one of you and I can try with the other,” Joyce warned.

“When is she not weird? Did you totally hear her talking to ‘Ms. Edith’? It’s a doll, I’m not even kidding. Remember the doll Grandma Summers gave her?” At Buffy’s enthusiastic nod, Dawn continued. “That’s Ms. Edith, the porcelain one with the creepy face. Dru’s gone completely bonkers…”

“Enough!” Joyce held up a hand to stop them, “Change of topic girls. I propose we discuss grandchildren. Buffy, when can we expect little Pratt’s running around?”

Buffy blinked again. “Mom, we, uh, really aren’t ready for kids quite yet but…” She watched Spike’s face fall and felt the inexplicable need to reassure him, “but I’m sure we’ll be ready soon enough.
His grin nearly blinded the occupants in the car as he tucked her even closer to his body and leaned down to whisper into her ear, “I love you.”

Dawn watched the couple opposite her in the car. Something was off with them and she was determined to find out what it was. They weren’t acting like themselves. Before they had moved from England, they were inseparable but now they were…disjointed. Hey! Go me for using a vocabulary word. Ms. Jenkins would be thrilled. Whoa! Is her hand going where I think it’s…oh no, just grabbing…keys? “Are you guys going out tonight?”

The blonde’s glanced at each other and simultaneously nodded, “Thought we would try out the new club in town, nibblet.”

Dawn’s eyes widened in expectation, “Can I go… please?”

“Dawnie…I’m not sure that’s the best…” Buffy was cut off by her mother’s quick ‘yes’ to the youngest Summers girl. “Or you can. We’re planning on leaving at 8:30, be ready by then or the car leaves without you.”

The girl squealed, an ear-piercing squeal that had the other occupants of the car scrambling to protect their ear drums, or what was left of them by that point.

Meanwhile, in the other car, Liam jabbed at the leather seat next to him with a pen as he fought off the urge to strangle the waif in front of him. Dru was hot and all but she was getting on his last nerve. Maybe Buffy just isn’t worth dealing with…No! Don’t ever think that. Must be strong, must be her champion. She needs me. His fingers grazed his hairline as he checked to make sure his hair hadn’t suffered during the inane family activity of the day. By his calculations, Buffy should be dropping into his arms any day now. Surely, she had to have seen his male prowess over the bleached pest.

“She’s probably screwing him right now.” Dru added dryly. She could see his mental commentary running as he screwed up his features and wrinkled his forehead in concentration.

“Shut up Dru!” His fists clenched, “I will get her back and then we will live happily ever after.”

“Before or after you fuck Darla again?” She raised a sculpted brow. “You know, if I didn’t want William, I would probably be offended that you only want my sister for sex but seeing as I do want William, I can make consolations.”

“You’re willing to sacrifice your own sister’s happiness for a decent lay?” At her nod, he grinned. “You’re a bitch, Dru and if I didn’t love your sister I think we could have may a decent go of it.”