Divulging Dark Theories:

After their daylight swim Buffy and Spike had climbed the cliff back up to the tunnel to head back home. Their clothes and hair dried for the most part on the walk back, but they both knew when they walked through the door that everyone noticed their wet appearance; no one, however, asked anything about it, even Xander kept his mouth closed. Spike disappeared to the basement for the rest of the night while Buffy took the slayers in training out for a patrol. Her night moved on once again without a hitch and her daytime swim boosted her mood and raised her hopes even higher. Something inside her told her that she would win this; something inside her knew that she would succeed.

After patrolling Buffy hung around the kitchen with the scoobies while the potentials settled into the living room, then soon they left to sleep as well and Buffy was left alone. She poured herself up a mug of blood and sipped away at it slowly wanting to waste time. Now it’s only a mere hour before dawn and Buffy is feeling exhausted, however she fears the dreams that will infect her thoughts if she allows herself to fall asleep. The only time she’s ever slept soundly recently was when Spike was beside her after he came up to wake her from her nightmare.

Buffy washes out her glass in the sink and then stands before the basement door eyeing it up intensely. She reaches for the door knob and then stops. She hesitates for a moment then reaches her hand the rest of the way forward to turn the knob and opens the door.

Buffy walks down into the basement and sees Spike sitting in his usual position on the cot. He looks surprised to see her, but his face relaxes quickly and he smiles at her as she nears him.

“Hello love.”

“It’s um… getting late, or well early I suppose.”

“Yeah… I have realized, I was about to hit the hay when you walked down… why aren’t you doing the same?”

“I um…” Buffy’s eyes flutter down to the ground. “I don’t want to sleep alone.” Buffy pauses for a moment before looking back up at the blonde vampire before her.

“That so?”

“Yeah… I was wondering if you would… if you’d come lay with me, like you did the other night.” Buffy’s words are still slightly nervous, but Spike’s smile calms her. He doesn’t respond to her question. He simply stands and follows her up the stairs.

--

Buffy wakes fully rested in Spike’s arms. She’s cuddled up against his chest, her head resting on the soft cotton of his shirt and she cant think of anything that would make her more comfortable right now. Buffy can tell the sun is still shining beyond her windows but knows it will set in a few hours. Something in her has changed; there is a happiness within her that hasn’t been there since before her death and her relationship with Spike is more muddled then it’s ever been. They’re more then friends, but they aren’t lovers. He’s her sire, but also her confidant. Buffy doesn’t know exactly what to think of what they mean to each other, but she knows it means something. Buffy looks at Spike’s sleeping form taking is his tousled blond curls and then cautiously gets out of bed without waking him.

--

Principal Wood turns the corner in his grey sedan headed toward Revello Drive. Having not seen Buffy since he visited her house after their date nearly two weeks ago has him worried. He wants to help in the upcoming battle. He wants to be a part of the mission that his mother gave her life for. Wood knows that not showing up for work must be slayer-related and Dawn’s excuse of things with the First being on hold doesn’t make any sense, and now her sister has stopped attending, that must mean that they’re close to waging an attack. So why hasn’t she called to ask for his help? Something in the back of his mind tells him that it’s the vampire’s fault. Something’s been whispering in his ears while he sleeps. That vampire was the same one that killed his mother, he knows it, and Buffy is working beside him. But, now she’s basically disappeared. Wood drives toward Buffy’s home seeking answers.

When her house comes into view Wood decides to park across the street for a short while to see if anything suspicious happens. After all Buffy’s actions lately have been very odd. He can see into her living room through the large front window. People are moving around inside, girls mostly, potential slayers Wood assumes. Then he sees her. Buffy comes into sight and Wood is about to get out of his car and go inside seeking answers when suddenly something stops him. Buffy’s hand moves into the sunlight that’s shining through the window and her hand starts on fire. The principal’s eyes bulge. He isn’t sure he can believe what he’s seeing, and then he watches as he is at her side. The blonde one, the one who killed his mother, he's there comforting her out of nowhere. That is all Wood needs to see to show him that Buffy has switched sides. He drives off.

--

The smoke can still be seen in the air as Xander quickly closes the blinds. Spike holds Buffy’s smoking hand in his, audible gasps sound around the room. All eyes are glued on the blonde duo facing each other before them. Anya, Willow and Kennedy sit on the sofa while the rest of the scoobies flutter around the room.

“Are you alright love?” Spike asks as if they were the only two people in the room.

“Yeah, I’m fine now… it was an accident.” Spike still holds Buffy’s hand in his. “Really, I’m alright.”

Buffy smiles and Spike lets go of his grasp on her. They stare at each other for another second and then Buffy turns to face the room and Spike moves to lean against the wall.

“Sorry about that Buffster.” Xander says.

“It’s okay… it’s not your fault. I just need to be more careful… and it’s almost sunset anyway.”

“Buffy, we have something I think you need to hear,” Giles says drawing the conversation into a serious tone.

“What is it?”

“I have a theory… As it seems the First’s goal is to become corporeal and to do this it must set the scales of Good and Evil further out of balance. When Willow brought you back we unbalanced things, there's only supposed to be one slayer at a time... and since you were ressurected under magical means the First has used this to bring itself forth.” Willow looks a little upset and Buffy notices.

“So wait, all we have to do is set things in balance again and poof no more annoying ghost-y First?” Xander asks.

“Well yes, but…”

“Hold up a sec… wouldn’t killing Buffy do that, seeing as bringing her back set it all off in the first place?” Spike asks.

“Hey now!” Xander interjects.

“Can it whelp, what I’m saying is that Buffy is technically dead now.”

“Oh.”

“Yes, well I was getting to that part,” Giles says. “As it seems Buffy’s death, again, has shifted the balance, however, it’s made it more unbalanced. Becoming a vampire may have physically killed your body, but it didn’t remove you from this plane of existence. What it did do however was make you stronger and faster… Becoming a vampire has weighed the scales on our side significantly.”

“So in other words the First is that much closer to achieving it’s goal… great,” Buffy says as she crosses her arms and sucks in her cheeks unhappy from that bit of news.

“Makes sense since the First hasn’t shown its face around here recently,” Kennedy says. “It wanted this… we’re helping it.”

“Well yes… but I was thinking. Maybe, allowing that to happen will allow us to defeat it,” Giles adds.

“If the First was corporeal you could fight it.” Dawn then says turning to Buffy.

“Would that work? I mean… if I was able to kill it wouldn’t it set the world out of balance more?”

“I’m not positive about this, but from what I’ve found I think not… If the First becomes solid then all it’s evil energy will be focused in that one being. If the being is destroyed then the evil energy will still exist, it will just go elsewhere.”

“Well, where’s it gonna go, cause I think we have enough evil energy around this place.” Anya asks.

“In theory? Everywhere… what I believe will happen is that the evil will divide evenly and go into every being in this dimension and every other.”

“So it’ll make everyone more evil?” Dawn asks.

“Technically yes… but with all the dimensions that exist it would be a very small amount. I doubt it would be noticeable.”

“Oh, okay so we’ll all only be a little bit more evil,” Xander says sarcastically. “I can live with that.”

“No, that’s really not a bad plan; I mean yeah I certainly don’t want to be any more evil. I’ve kinda had my fair share of Evil-Willow-ness already, but people are all capable of being evil already and if you think about all the dimensions that exist then… well I don’t think the little bit of evil energy that it would add to everyone would be enough to really change anything.” Willow says.

“That was precisely my idea,” Giles says.

“Okay, good,” Buffy says. “That’s a plan at least… I don’t know, I don’t like the whole evil thing, but… it’s the only plan we have so far… lets do some more research and try and get these theories looking more fact-like.”

--

Buffy waits on the back steps, her usual place to hide when she needs a moment alone. The potentials are inside warming up with stretches before their patrol while Buffy sits on the steps with her arms around her folded legs. She rests her chin atop her knees and stares up at the stars twinkling in the sky. Once again she hears the creak of the door as it opens behind her and Spike steps out. She knows it’s him immediately as she always does. He always seems to come around when she’s alone. Spike takes a seat next to Buffy and stares up at the stars from beside her.

“When did everything get flipped upside down?” Buffy asks.

“What do you mean love?”

“I’m the slayer, I’m supposed to slay vampires not become one… I’m supposed to protect people from evil, not juice them all up with a little bit more of it… I just… Things are just so grey now. I don’t know if I’m making the right decisions anymore.”

“Buffy, you’re making the right decisions.”

“I just don’t know.” Spike turns to Buffy and grabs her face in his hands.

“Hey now, listen to me… this world has never been black and white, you and I both know that. What you are now doesn’t change who you are… being a vampire doesn’t make you any less Buffy. It doesn’t make you any less the slayer. You’re still you and if you trust your heart you’ll make the right decisions… I know you will. That’s just what you do.”

Buffy looks into Spike’s brilliant blue eyes as he speaks, his words are honest and true and Buffy knows it; she melts in that moment and all her worries seem to vanish. She wonders just how it is that he’s able to make everything better in just one sentence. She wonders how he always knows just what to say. He’s right and Buffy know it. She’s still herself, but hearing him say it is what makes it true for her. A small smile crosses Buffy’s face then she leans in and gives Spike a short sweet peck on the lips. Spike is surprised. He simply watches as she pulls away, stands up then and heads back into the house. Spike sits on the steps for a few more minuets in silence thinking about things between himself and his chilide.