Angelic Rewards:

Willow wakes up groggily on the couch and for a moment she believes herself to still be asleep as the image that comes into view is that of an angel. Then the world around Willow comes into focus and her memories of earlier that night fill back into her mind. Tara’s face becomes clearer and so does Kennedy’s who stands behind her with her arms crossed; both women stare down at Willow with concern.

“Tara,” Willow says softly then tries to sit up.

“Shh, it’s okay, take it slow,” Tara says in a musical voice. “You really wore yourself out.” Willow remembers now, she remembers Xander’s face as the turk-han held him high in the air and choked the life out of him.

“Oh God… Xander,” Willow does sit up this time and as she does Xander quickly moves into view.

“It’s all right Will, I’m right here. We’re all fine… no casualties.” That calms Willow.

“Did Buffy…”

“I don’t know, she’s not back yet,” Xander says and Willow’s face falls for a moment. She meets Spike’s eyes and can see his worry building there. The vampire is nervous and Willow silently prays that he has no reason to be.

“If Tara’s still here that means she must still be fighting the First, right?” Dawn asks and the angel turns to face her, her glowing face is warm and soothing.

“No, no Dawnie… that’s not how it works… I have until sunrise regardless of what happens,” Tara says. “You see, I’m here to help you, to help Buffy but I’m also here as a gift.”

“A gift?” Willow asks.

“A gift to you… for all you’ve done. I can’t stay long, because I don’t belong here, but I have until sunrise as a reward for all the good you’ve done.”

“All the good?” Willow’s eyes grow wide. She doesn’t think of herself that way. In Willow’s mind she’s done terrible things. Things that she should not be forgiven for, but here is Tara, someone who is truly good, telling her that she’s being rewarded. “There has to be some mistake.”

“There’s no mistake… you’ve done a lot of good Willow, and I know… I know that because of things you did last year that you think you don’t deserve this, but you do.” Willow’s eyes well up with tears. Tara kneels down so that she’s eye level with her and takes her hands in her own resting them atop Willow’s knees. “I’m so sorry that I left you the way I did, and you need to know that you are forgiven for what you have done.” The tears start to fall now and Tara embraces Willow pulling her close.

Kennedy looks on for a few moments as her jealousy builds within. It had been hard for her when Willow was passed out and everyone came in to gush over the angel in the room. They all obviously loved this woman with all of their hearts and Kennedy is positive that she must be a wonderful person, but that’s exactly the problem. Kennedy wonders how she’s supposed to compete with that, how she’s supposed to compete with perfection, with an angel. Now as Kennedy looks on at Willow in Tara’s arms it’s too much for her and she vanishes upstairs.

“It just hurt so much,” Willow says in a sob as she pulls away to meet Tara’s face once again.

“I know, I know it did… I felt all of your pain after I was gone. I know how much you loved me, and I loved you just as much.” Willow’s cries are deeper now, but there is also a smile pulling at the corner of her lips. Behind Tara the living room starts to empty to give the two women a moment alone.

“You’re really not mad at me for… for what I did.”

“No.”

“But Tara, I… I killed him, I tortured him… I was evil and I didn’t even care I just…”

“Shh, don’t talk like that… I can’t say I’m happy with what you did, but I’m not mad at you because of it. I love you Willow and I know you’re a good person.” Tara leans in and gives Willow a short yet passionate kiss on the lips. “Nothing you’ve done wrong matters because I know who you really are.”

--

Buffy’s face has slipped back into her human form as she walks home. Her battle axe hangs loosely in her hand attached to her limp and exhausted arm. A purple bruise is forming on the slayer’s jaw and Buffy knows that every part of her body will hurt tomorrow. The only thing that Buffy has to be happy about is that she can take her time limping back as the sun won’t rise for a good few more hours. The only thing that could make Buffy feel worse right now would having to be rushed as well and she’s glad that she’s not.

--

Spike is pacing restlessly in the kitchen and Xander, Dawn, Anya and Giles watch him intensely. It’s just the four of them in the kitchen as the potentials have gone down into the basement. Spike moves like a broken record retracing his steps perfectly and each round he makes has a whole new layer of worry to be added on to the existing ones.

“Hey, energizer bunny,” Xander calls, “chill out, you’re making us all nervous.”

“She should have been back by now,” Spike responds pausing for a moment then continuing on with his relentless back and forth walk.

“She’s gonna be fine,” Dawn says, but Spike ignores her.

“I should go out… go find her.”

Just then, however, all conversation in the house is silenced as the creaking of the front door opening is heard. Spike rushes to the door followed by those in the kitchen. As Spike sees her walk in, even as beaten and bruised as she looks he lets out a sigh of relief.

“Buffy,” Xander calls with reprieve and Dawn rushes up to her sister embracing her in a tight hug. Buffy drops her axe to the ground and wraps her arms around Dawn’s frame. “So, you did it right? The First is gone?”

“Yeah,” Buffy says in a breath. “Gone for now at least, but it wont be coming back anytime soon.” Buffy’s eyes meet Spike’s then and for just a moment the world melts away, that is until someone else catches Buffy’s eyes.

Tara and Willow have moved into the entryway to greet Buffy and the slayer’s eyes lock on Tara’s. The angel stands before her glowing and radiant. Buffy smiles at the woman who became a great friend to her. The year before Tara had been the only person Buffy felt comfortable talking to about all of her worries, and now here she is before her once again. Dawn notices Tara as well and pulls out of her hold around her sister to allow her to greet the angel before her. Tara moves closer to Buffy and pulls her into a hug.

The slayer closes her eyes as the angel surrounds her with warmth and love. For just a moment Buffy is reminded of her time in heaven.

“We’ll meet again,” Tara says in a whisper so soft that only Buffy can hear. “When your time comes they will let you back in, and by then Spike as well.” Buffy feels her eyes tearing up with the news that Tara has told her and her grip on the goddess before her tightens. “Prepare yourself though,” Tara says then pulls away to look Buffy straight in the eyes. “It will be a long time coming.” Buffy smiles at Tara.

“Thank you,” Buffy says and in those few short words Buffy knows that her time with Tara is done, the rest is left for Willow. Buffy walks over to Spike and meets his eyes signaling him to follow her upstairs. She gives one last glance to Tara and then disappears. Her thank you is a sign of her gratitude but also a goodbye.

--

Buffy shuts her door behind her as she and Spike enter her room. They’ve had a long night and are both looking forward to some quiet time together. Spike runs his fingers across Buffy’s bruised jaw as she turns to him. All of Spike’s concern for her vanishes as his eyes meet hers. They’ve both made it through this alive, and in this moment everything is perfect.

“We really won didn’t we,” Buffy says without breaking eye contact. Spike smiles down at her.

“Yeah pet, we really did.” Now Buffy is smiling as well.

Spike wants to suggest that they celebrate their victory; however there is weariness in the Slayer’s eyes. Her fight with the First has worn her out and Spike is still recovering from his battle with the uber-vamps. Once she’s rested, however, Spike plans to help her celebrate all day. Spike shakes his thoughts aside then as he notices Buffy’s eyes twinkle up at him filled with emotion.

“I love you,” she says and her smile widens, so does Spike’s. He leans down to her then to place a chaste kiss upon her lips, but Buffy pulls him to her and draws him deeper. Arms tangle around each other as they stumble closer to the bed. Then their kiss breaks and Buffy’s eyes flutter shut. She wants Spike, but she can also feel sleep pleading with her consciousness.

“It’s alright pet, I know you must be tuckered out. Let’s just rest tonight. We have an eternity to celebrate properly.” Spike smirks down at Buffy and she smiles back brightly.

--

The sun has risen mere inches above the horizon and Tara has gone. Willow waited with her until the sun’s rays pulled her back to the great beyond. They talked and laughed and cried during the short time they had and then when it was time to go they got to say goodbye. It was a bittersweet moment, but also one that Willow will forever cherish. She will also cherish the words which the angel said to her mere moments before she left.

“It’s okay to live, Willow… we’ll meet again one day, but don’t spend your time here on earth alone.”

Willow understood Tara’s words and simply nodded. Then after a sweet kiss and an emotional goodbye Tara vanished into the light of day.

Now, after Willow has pulled herself together, she climbs the stairs to her room to face Kennedy. The stairs creek with each step she takes and Willow finds herself nervous of the impending conversation. She knew before the spell that there could be some distance in her relationship with Kennedy after Tara’s short return, but she’s not sure how distant that distance will be.

Willow quietly opens the door to her room to find Kennedy sitting at the edge of the bed. Willow is unsure of what to say, she simply closes the door behind her and Kennedy stands up.

“The way I see it, there are two things I can do,” Kennedy says and Willow listens closely. “I can leave knowing that you and I will never have what you had with her,” Willow’s face drops. She doesn’t want Kennedy to leave. Tara will always be the love of her life, but this woman before her means so much to her. “Or… or, I can stay because this could still be something great.” Willow’s anxiety is high as she stares at the woman before her waiting for her to make a decision. “So the things is Willow… I love you, and being the love of your life would be great, but that spot is already filled, although… that doesn’t mean that you don’t still love me, so as long as you love me too I’ll stay.”

Willow’s eyes tear up with joy and she moves closer to the woman standing before her. Their eyes meet and then their lips and Kennedy has her answer.

--

In the room next door Buffy and Spike have fallen into a deep sleep wrapped in each other’s arms. One room over Dawn is fanned out across her bed dreaming the night away. In the basement the potentials have passed out on the blue training mats feeling safe and sound for the first time in months; and in the living room Giles is asleep on the couch while Anya is curled up in Xander’s arms on the floor. For now everyone has their happy ending.