Power Illuminated:

From the moment Buffy steps outside it’s as if her senses are on overdrive. In the house her initial bloodlust and heightened sense of smell had so much of her attention that she failed to notice just how much her other senses have improved. Every rustle of the leaves and scampering of critters in the garden is heard as are all the creatures in the gardens of the surrounding houses and the whispering of voices from within those houses. Buffy finds that if she focuses she can see the black ants running up the trunk of a tree on the other side of the yard or tune into specific conversations from all around.

Even in the dark of night the world before her appears crisper and brighter then she ever remembers it being. She can see farther and clearer then she could when she was alive, and all together the world seems more beautiful then it did before. Buffy can feel Spike moving closer to her, she can feel him differently then when she was just the slayer, she’s more aware now of every step he makes and can sense even the ruffling of his coat.

“Are you ready for this?” Spike asks as he walks up beside her.

“Yeah… I need to know what I’m capable of.”

“Alright then, let’s find some baddies to beat.”

--

A swift kick sends a newly risen vampire flying twenty feet across the graveyard and crashing into a headstone. Buffy turns back to glance at Spike then looks on to the creature that she now knows will be as easy to kill as the tulips she tried helping her mother tend to when she was twelve. Twenty feet away the vampire stands up dazedly and looks to Buffy and Spike. Buffy pulls a stake from her jacket and throws it with precision at the vampire landing it dead through his heart.

“That was way too easy,” Buffy says with her eyes still focused on the dust floating through the air of which she can see every particle, it’s the only sign remaining that the vampire she slayed had ever existed.

“Yeah, well it looks like you’ll have a chance to have a fair fight in a minute here,” Spike says looking off to their right. As Buffy turns to see what he’s talking about she notices an uber-vamp headed her way.

For a moment her muscles tense remembering her last fight with one of these super vampires, but then she calms herself, she’s stronger now and she reminds herself that she has the strength to defeat him. For the first time that night Buffy allows her face to change and she vamps out as does Spike behind her. The Uber-vamp spots her and within seconds is running straight at her. He’s moving at the same speed as the last one who attacked her but through Buffy’s yellow eyes he seems to be moving much slower. She feels like she has more time to plan her moves and more time to react. The vamp throws his arms out at her and Buffy ducks his blow. Spike just watches for a moment as she dances with the creature. It swings and growls, throws punches and kicks, but Buffy avoids them all so smoothly that to the unknowing their moves would appear rehearsed.

Then she punches him and the moment that her fist meets his face she knows that this is the strength she needs to win. The Uber-vamp goes flying back and as he does Buffy kicks him, he falls to the ground with a thump and in the time it takes him to get back up Buffy has pulled out a stake. The Uber-vamp jumps at her again but she doges his blow and while he’s reeling back to throw another punch Buffy sends the stake through his chest. His thick skin causes the stake to shatter on impact, but the force used to propel it through his body is enough for some of it to pierce his heart. The Uber-vamp looks down as his body explodes into dust.

--

Buffy and Spike left the graveyard when the sense of impending dawn sent a tingle to the back of their necks. This was a new sense to Buffy but she knew what it meant immediately. Buffy had walked back to the house with a feeling of amazement over her new powers, for the first time in months she thought to herself that they might actually have a chance to win this. That thought was a small victory in her mind for what she gave up.

Now Buffy twists and turns in bed from the images that are floating through her mind. With the sun shining bright beyond her windows, which have been covered with blankets to keep out all rays of light, Buffy tangles herself in her sheets.

--

“Think about what it wants Buffy,” Joyce’s voice is clearly heard through the air.

Twigs snare her clothing as Buffy runs through the thick green undergrowth of the forest. The mist is thick around her once again; she thinks for a moment that it should feel cool against her skin, and that it would if she weren’t dead. Everything moves by in a rush as she runs, and she moves with all the speed she can muster although she can’t remember why. Then through the thick white fog she sees it, someone is in front of her, but not running away from her, the thing she chases darts between the trees as if trying to tease her. A flash of blonde hair dashes through the brush and fog and Buffy picks up her speed.

“You think you can fight me?” A voice sounds through the woods. “I am the thing the darkness fears, I am everywhere and in every thing.”

Buffy catches a glimpse of the thing she’s chasing once again. This time she can tell its human, a woman. She lets her face morph and picks up her pace tapping into her vampire speed. With yellow eyes everything becomes clearer and she can see as the woman before her darts among the foliage in a taunting zigzag.

"I want to feel. I want to put my hands around an innocent neck and feel it crack. I want to bite off a young girl's face and feel the skin and gristle slither down my throat,” the voice then says in a menacing tone.

Buffy’s speed is exuberant until the flash of blonde hair moves right before her and her feet stop moving instantly. Buffy comes to an abrupt stop; she sticks to her spot as if she were stuck in concrete and looks through her yellow eyes into the green ones before her, the green eyes that are her own. Buffy stands staring at herself, at a human version of herself.

“Give me what I want,” The first says as a twisted smirk crosses her face.


--

Buffy’s eyes snap open still filled with fear and there he is before her. Buffy wraps her arms around Spike’s neck as images of her dream still sizzle in her mind. She grips him tightly, then after a moment he has his arms around her as well. Soft cooing shushes flow from his lips and sooth Buffy’s panicked state. Spike runs his hands across Buffy’s hair and as she pulls away he kisses her forehead. Buffy then looks up at him with watery eyes and wipes away her unshed tears.

“It’s alright love… it was just a dream,” Spike says.

“How… how did you know?” Buffy asks.

“You and I… we’re connected now Buffy… I just, I could feel you, your distress and fear and I came rushing up here.”

“Because you’re my sire,” Buffy says as if realizing it for the first time and then she looks him straight in the eye.

For a moment time stops, for a moment they just sit there so lost in each others eyes that neither of them moves a muscle; neither breathes, not that either needs to, and neither says a word. Through the deep pools of vampire sire and chilid Buffy and Spike stare into each others souls and in that moment each actually believes they see it, they each believe that they see the spark within the others eyes. The spark that is a shimmering light, a light that shines bright and beautiful, and holds within it all the love that each is capable of giving. They sit and they stare and the air between them grows thin, then Buffy drops her gaze.

“Well, I suppose I should be going then,” Spike says as he stands up from the bed feeling a little flustered from the past moment.

“Wait,” Buffy says as she reaches forward and grabs Spike by the wrist,” Don’t go.” Spike stops moving. “Can you just stay here with me?”

Spike nods and then glances around the room for a place to rest his head that is until he sees Buffy scooting over in her bed. He thinks for a moment that there’s no way she could be making room for him, but then she looks up at him with those green eyes, with the windows to her soul and he knows what she wants, what she needs. A moment passes and then Spike moves to the bed and slowly, cautiously he lies down beside Buffy. Once his head hits the pillow Buffy curls up next to him and rests her head on his chest. Her eyes flutter shut and Spike reaches his arm around to hold her back. Within moments she’s fallen back asleep and soon after that so has Spike. For the rest of the sunlit hours of the day there they lay silent and sleeping simply taking comfort in each others presence.

--

Heaviness runs through Spike’s bones in the night and his eyes snap open. He has the feeling that someone is watching him and he’s right. As his eyes open he sees the First, wearing Buffy’s skin standing at the end of the bed. An evil twisted grin crosses its face giving it a malevolent look that Buffy herself could never possess. Cautiously Spike untangles Buffy’s limbs from his own and slides the slumbering slayer off his chest then sits at the edge of the bed with his profile to the First and his eyes facing the door.

“Think this means something,” the First says. “That because she let you lay beside her that you mean something… don’t get ahead of yourself now Spikey… You know, after that little basement incident when I couldn’t get you to kill her,” the First lets out a scoff, “Got you to kill half the town but not her… I was starting to think that you’d never sink your fangs into that… if only I’d known it’d be this easy.”

“Why are you here… to taunt me some more?” Spike turns to face the First and it smiles back at him from his response.

“I’m here to tell you that you’ve done exactly what I wanted you to.”