Chapter 2

William walked down the hall, cursing himself for making fun of her name. He plopped down on the empty seat behind the doctor's desk and awaited his next instructions.

Why did he have to screw everything up by making fun of her name? She had wanted him to stay with her! That hadn't ever happened to him... especially with a beautiful girl like her. Maybe he shouldn't have left; he could have made it up to her somehow. 'Yeah like how? Give her a lollipop? She isn't a child, you ponce.'

"William,” a booming voice brought him out of his thoughts. “Come with me. I have a ditzy blond with a swollen toe to take care of. I want you to help her out of the bed when I dismiss her,” Dr. Sugar said and picked up Buffy's chart.

William followed behind him, clenching his jaw to keep from lashing out at the doctor. He had no right to be talking about Buffy that way. He didn't really want to go back into Buffy's room, but he had no choice. He had to do whatever the doctors told him to do. It was his job.

They entered Buffy's room and William saw her face light up when she saw him, making him blush and duck his head. He went to stand in the corner of the room, watching everything that was going on between Buffy and Dr. Sugar.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Sugar. So, Ms...” he flipped up a page on the clipboard, scanning it for her name. “...Ah, Ms. Summers. Tell me what happened.”

"Well, I was playing around with my sister and she chased me up the stairs. I took the stairs too fast and I stubbed my toe. I think it might be broken.”

“Okay. Just need to take some notes before the examination. Can you confirm your age?” Dr. Sugar asked, looking at the clipboard again.

William's ears perked up, waiting for her response. He hoped she wasn't too young. Buffy furrowed her brow, wondering why the doctor wanted to know her age. “I'm twenty.”

The doctor sighed and lowered the chart to his side. “A little old for goofing off like that, aren’t you?” He slipped on a pair of rubber gloves and began to gently prod her swollen toe, making the occasional note on the chart.

“Well, it doesn’t seem to be broken. Just very badly bruised. All I can suggest is that you take some aspirin and keep your foot elevated to relieve some of the pain. Other than that, we’re done here. William, help Ms. Summers check out, would you?” he waved his hand dismissively.

As soon as the doctor left, Buffy scoffed and started to inch to the side of the bed. “Why is his name Dr. Sugar? He’s anything but sweet.”

William saw her having some trouble and went to her side, helping her swing her foot around. He helped her to her feet and winced when she winced. He didn't like to see her in pain. Maybe he could get some pain pills for her?

“Sorry about him. He can be quite a jerk,” he told her, then let go of her for a second to gather her stuff for her. “If you can just sign this release form, you can be on your way.”

Buffy quickly scribbled her name and a few other details onto the sheet William held out to her, then passed the clipboard back to him with a smile.

She tried to put more weight on her foot, causing a jolt of pain to shoot up her leg. “Fuck!” she hollered and started to fall as the pain made her leg give out.

William spun around at the sound of her distress and quickly caught her before she hit the floor, pulling her close to his chest. Their faces were inches apart and they were both panting. “Are you all right?” he asked, clutching her tighter to his chest.

She wanted to swoon. He was like a superhero with his super fast reflexes. Plus, nice muscley chest. She placed her hand on his shoulder and closed her eyes, breathing in his scent. He smelled like soap, male body spray, and something uniquely 'William'. Her mouth started to water. “Uh... yeah...” she swallowed, trying to keep her hormones in check. “Just hurts. Sorry for being such a wimp.”

He stood her up and let go of her, watching her as she straightened her clothes. “Thank you,” she said as she picked up her sweater and started to leave. Absentmindedly forgetting about her wallet.

William was in a daze as he watched her walk away. She was limping slightly, favoring her right leg, but somehow she made even that look graceful. “She's a bloody Goddess,” he whispered into the empty room.
She disappeared from his sight. He turned around to change the bedding for the next patient – he hated this part of his job; he was training to be a doctor, not a bloody orderly.

He got on with the task, glad in the knowledge that his shift would be over in a couple of hours, when his eyes fell on a pink wallet on the table. Buffy’s. He picked it up and quickly sprinted out of the room and down the hall, hoping to catch her before she left. He ran outside to the front of the hospital and scanned the parking lot for her.

It took a bit of searching, but he finally located her. She was getting into a cab on the other side of the parking lot, so there was no way he would be able to catch her. He looked at the wallet and opened it up and took out a piece of her I.D.

'Guess I’ll just have to deliver it to her...

***

William sat in his car, outside of Buffy's apartment building, drumming his fingers against his steering wheel as he contemplated what he was about to do. Should he just go up there and knock on her door, or simply put the wallet in her mailbox with a note saying that he had found it? Yeah! That was the way to go. The indirect approach. That way he could just stay away and let...

No! He wasn't going to just... sit around and let her get away. She had obviously showed some interest in him and he was tired of being ‘Shy William’. He was going to grab this... thing by the horns and... do something! Yeah, that's it! He had just talked himself into going up there.

With adrenaline coursing through his veins, he got out of his car, slamming the door as he walked up the steps to the apartment. He went inside the building and stopped at the buzzer, scanning the list for her name. Finally, at the bottom of the list, he located and pushed the button next to her name, and waited for her to answer.

Then he started to shake. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... Maybe he could leave now and just mail the wallet back to her and…

“Hello?” her voice came through the intercom, laced with static. William froze, what should he do? He should answer her. He opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. “Look, I'm not going to buzz you into the lobby until I know who it is. Hello? Hello? Hanging up now...”

“No! Wait! It's me, William. I found your...”

He heard the door buzz then click and Buffy told him to come right up. He opened the door and walked to the elevators, pushing the sixth floor button per her instructions. He started to fidget as he waited for the elevator; it was too late to turn back now. The elevator dinged and opened, with his body taking the lead, he walked onto the lift.

Next thing he knew he was standing in front of her door, raising his fist to knock on it. The door flung open before his fist could make contact, and Buffy stood before him. Her smile was so bright, he had to smile himself. “Hi,” he said, hanging his head to blush... again.

“Heya! What's up?” she asked, leaning against the doorjamb.

“I... uh... Well, you see, when you left, I- I found this...” he held up her wallet and thrust it out to her. “...And I wanted to return it to you. I-I would have returned it sooner, but I had to finish my shift first. Now... Now that I have given it to you... I’ll go.” He went to walk away, but Buffy's hand shot out, grabbing his upper arm to stop him.

Ohhh... firm and muscley... “Please! Wait. Stay for a bit. Come in and have some coffee... or something... Tea! English people like tea. I have tea!” Buffy pleaded. She really wanted him to stay.

He turned and looked at her, a slow smile spreading across his face at her eagerness to be near him. He nodded his head and took a step toward her. “Okay.”


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews? Pwease? *bats eyelashes*