Chapter Four: Start of Something New

When Kat got home from her date with RJ the next night, she had an all-out babble fest. Buffy lost track after the first 20 minutes of hearing how sweet and cute he was.

“…and omigod mom he has the most beautiful eyes…”

Buffy just listened with a smile until Kat had to stop talking to breathe.

“I’m glad you had a good time.”

Kat sighed and laid head on Buffy’s shoulder.
“I really did. He’s an amazing kisser.”

Buffy’s eyes widened at that and she just sat there in shock. Her baby was growing up too fast for her liking. Kat looked at her and giggled at the expression on her face.

“Don’t worry mom, I’m not gonna let him knock me up or anything.”

Buffy smiled and pulled Kat into a tight hug.

“Good, because I want to keep you my little girl forever.”

Buffy’s eyes watered a little and Kat snuggled into her side lovingly. They sat that way for quite a while before heading to bed.

~Two Weeks Later~

The filming on the movie had started and Buffy loved every second of it. The concert was only a few days away and Spike was having zero luck finding Buffy beforehand.

He realized it would probably be best to wait for the concert to arrive, as it would spare a lot of time and effort on his part. The thought did nothing to ease his nerves, though. He still wanted desperately to make contact with his first love again.

With nothing better to do in the mean time, he went off to catch a few shows on Broadway.

Kat and Lilly headed out to the Bronze that night for some quality girl time, even though Kat was still happily dating RJ. She needed some time with her best friend for a change and she promised her mother she’d be home by ten.

They hadn’t even been gone for an hour when they came back in. Kat was bawling her eyes out and Lilly was trying to comfort her. The brunette flew into Buffy’s arms and clung to her tightly. Buffy stroked her hair gently and was starting to get really concerned.

“What’s wrong, baby?”

“RJ’s an asshole!”

Buffy was completely taken aback by that statement. For the last two weeks Kat had seemed nothing but content with him.

“What happened, honey?”

Kat sniffled and said miserably, “The bastard cheated on me with some skanky blonde bimbo. Lilly and I caught them making out in the Bronze.”

A fresh wave of tears hit her and she buried her face in Buffy’s neck. Lilly was sitting on the couch looking just as upset as Buffy was. She wanted to comfort her best friend but she knew there wasn’t much she could do.

Buffy rubbed Kat’s back sympathetically and kissed the top of her head.
“I’m sorry, sweetie. I wish there was something I could do.”

Kat wiped her eyes and said, “But wait… it gets even better. When I asked him why he was doing it, he said it was because I wouldn’t sleep with him. He dumped because I’m not his whore. Jackass.”

Buffy snorted in proud amusement and hugged her daughter tightly.

“He doesn’t deserve you, honey. Just forget about him.”

Kat nodded and grabbed Lilly’s hand before heading upstairs. She’d pretty much moved in lately. Buffy didn’t have a problem with it since Lilly was a really sweet girl, and she kept Kat company when Buffy wasn’t home.

When Kat and Lilly got upstairs to the room they were sharing, Lilly got really quiet and stared at the floor, alerting the brunette that her friend was upset. She sat next to Lilly on the bed and asked worriedly, “What’s wrong?”

Lilly looked at her and sighed, knowing she was just going to have to spit it out. “I’m glad it didn’t work out between you and RJ.”

“Huh?” Kat was more than a little confused, and she wasn’t sure whether to be hurt or offended by her friend’s comment.

“Your mom was right. He doesn’t deserve you.”

Relief filled Kat’s eyes as she smiled at the blonde beside her. “Thanks. I’m glad you think so.”

Lilly bit her lip as she reached up and touched Kat’s cheek gently. She leaned in and kissed the brunette on the lips, catching her completely off guard.

Kat thought it was weird at first to be kissing a girl, who also happened to be her closest friend, but after a minute she relaxed and realized it was a good kind of weird.

Her heart was racing and her palms were a little sweaty by the time they broke out of it. Kissing RJ had never been that exciting.

“Wow…”

Kat kept her eyes closed and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes Lilly was smiling at her, so she smiled back.

“I hope you’re not mad. I’ve been trying to find a way to tell you for a while… I like you.”

Kat had never felt so nervous and excited in her life. “I think I like you too.”

They kissed again for awhile before snuggling together and going to sleep. It would seem the night had been an end to one relationship and the start to another; more proof that every cloud has a silver lining.

When Katrina woke up in the morning, she was surprised to feel a warm body cuddled into hers. She smiled as she remembered the events of the previous night.

She’d thought the evening would be disastrous, but it had turned out to be wonderful instead. She ran her fingers through Lilly’s blonde hair and ducked her head shyly when the girl opened her eyes.

“Morning, beautiful.”

Kat blushed and turned her head away in embarrassment. Lilly grabbed her chin gently and turned it back toward her.

A worried frown creased her brow as she asked quietly, “Do you regret it?”

Kat looked up in surprise at the uncertainty in the blonde’s voice. She was used to Lilly being strong and confident about everything. Now she sounded small and fragile. She felt the overwhelming need to reassure her that everything was okay.

“Of course not. Kissing you was… amazing. I’ve never felt anything like it.”

It was Lilly’s turn to blush when Kat leaned in to kiss her softly. Their lips and tongues slowly became acquainted as the kiss progressed. Suddenly Kat pulled back, wide-eyed, and put her hand over her mouth.

“Oh my god! You still have a boyfriend.”

Neither of them had been thinking about that when they’d been kissing. Lilly bit her ip as her mind raced. She came to a decision and smiled.

“I want you more.”

Kat’s jaw dropped and she was silent for a second.

“Huh?”

Lilly smiled and grabbed hold of her hand. “I’ll break up with Tony.”

“But you guys have been dating for six months.” Kat was still in shock from the new information.

Before she could say anything else, Lilly was kissing her again, soft and slow and gentle. Kat melted at the feeling and deepened the embrace.

When they parted for air Kat was feeling one hundred and ten percent better. “I don’t think I’ll get tired of doing that.”

Lilly nodded in agreement and laid her head on the brunette’s shoulder.

“We should probably get up soon.”

Kat sighed and glanced at the clock. “My mom’s at the studio by now, so we have the house to ourselves.”

Lilly sat up in excitement and asked, “Do you know what this means?”

Kat shook her head in the negative.

“Myspace pictures!”

Kat giggled at her soon-to-be girlfriend’s antics and they got up to ready themselves for the photo session.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review!