Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Guitarbabe2005 for all your help and thanks to all the reviewers out there!
They thought he had gone a whole day without a convulsion when another one had hit. This time was different. He seemed more distressed. Somehow, Buffy settled him down and now she couldn’t let anyone else watch over him. The fear of losing him was just too much.

Of course, she told the others that it was because she was the only one strong enough to hold him back.

Buffy kneeled beside the sofa and took his hand in hers.

‘I promise I’ll hunt down whoever did this and I’ll make them pay,’ she whispered.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Every minute that passed was one less of them finding out what had happened to Spike. Giles took it upon himself to shut the magic box for the day and not everyone was happy about this.

‘I don’t see why we have to shut up shop just to do research?’ Anya grumbled from a book.

‘Because we need to find out what happened.’

‘Yes, but I don’t see Willow and Tara helping.’

Giles sighed an irritated sigh.

‘They are busy elsewhere.’

‘That’s pretty convenient.’

Now she was annoying him.

‘Just look for anything that can make a vampire unconscious and have convulsions!’ he snapped.

Meanwhile at Spike’s crypt, Willow and Tara set about their search. They both stood still as they entered the crypt.

‘T-There is strange energies in here.’ Tara stuttered.

Willow nodded in agreement.

‘I know. Maybe it was the amulet?’ she suggested.

‘Could be. I-I’ll go tell Giles.’

‘Ok.’

Willow kissed her girlfriend goodbye.

The first thing she examined was the chains. They were made out of strong steel. Nothing seemed odd about them. Examining the area around where they found him, Willow found a statue. On the corner of it was blood.

‘Bingo.’

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

She had to find him. The only problem? His office was cloaked. He said it was to stop people from being reliant on him. He said The Powers That Be needed to rely on themselves a bit more. And it was true to a certain point.

Grace entered her room and changed into something more suitable. Black trousers and a black vest top. Hair tied up in a ponytail. She placed a gun belt around her waist.

She looked through her drawers.

‘Come on! Where are you?’

Going to the other side of the room, she tried the cupboard. Smiling, she looked at the device. It was rectangle in shape with a little screen on it and various buttons.

‘Gotcha.’


OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Back at the magic box, Xander had now joined the research. Giles had gone home to see if he could find specific books that could help.

Anya huffed.

‘We should tell them about our engagement,’ she blurted out.

‘Anh, I don’t know…’

‘But it would be the perfect time. It’s just what everyone needs right now. Have you seen how miserable everyone looks?’

Xander turned to his fiancée.

‘It’s not the right time. I mean, it wouldn’t feel right telling them now what with the whole Spike situation.’

He saw the frowned that marred her face.

‘As soon as this is all over, I promise but not right now,’ he finished.

She folded her arms in defeat.

‘I thought you hated him anyway?’

‘I still do, I think. It’s just after the whole Glory thing I kinda took a liking to him and I guess I miss the friendship.’

Anya scoffed.

‘You were always saying how Buffy should stake him!’

A soft shrug.

‘I’ve changed my mind.’

Sometimes Giles wasn’t the best at manly chats and pool.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Tara sat gingerly as she watched Spike. She went over there after going to see Giles, hoping to relieve Buffy.

The witch stood up and went to the kitchen.

‘N-Not sleeping isn’t any use. Buffy. I-It will only make you ill and it won’t help Spike.’

Buffy wrapped her arms about herself.

‘I can’t leave his side, Tara.’

‘Why not?’ she dug deeper.

‘It’s complicated. I-I can’t. Not right now.’

Well, that was of no use. Giving up on getting any information out of Buffy, Tara decided to go back and watch Spike.

She was about to sit down when he started to move ever so slightly. This made her go towards him. That was when the movement turned into a thrash. Tara panicked. Placing a hand on his chest in an effort to calm him down. It didn’t work.

‘S-Spike, It’s ok.’ She soothed.

At that moment, Buffy came rushing in. Moving Tara to a safe distance, she then held him down with one arm, whilst stroking his hair with the other.

‘Spike, if you can hear me it’ll be ok. Just settle down. I’m here,’ she murmured.

Her voice seemed to calm him down. Releasing her grip on him, she turned to see Tara looking puzzled.

‘B-Buffy, what is going on?’

It was those little words that set her off. All she could do was cry.

‘Hey, d-don’t cry.’

Tara led Buffy to the other sofa.

‘I know I’m not suppose to but I can’t help it.’

Tara waited for it.

‘I-I’m in love with him.’

It felt like a whole weight had lifted from her shoulders just telling someone. Eyes widening, she looked her friend in the eye.

‘Don’t tell anyone, please? I couldn’t face them being so disappointed in me,’ she sniffed.

‘I promise.’

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

There was nothing out of place, not a thing. Ok, so the chains were unusual but not for Spike.

At least I found the weapon that he was hit with she thought.

The red haired witch was about to leave when the light shining on something caught her eye. Getting closer, she found a syringe in the very corner of the room. Fingers picked it up at the end and a little cloudy liquid dripped down.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

The end of the day had finally come. Buffy was exhausted beyond belief. Giles had arrived not so long ago with Dawn in tow.

She embraced her sister.

‘How is he?’ Dawn asked.

‘Not too good. He had two episodes today.’

She turned to Giles.

‘They’re getting worse. We have to find something to help him and fast, Giles,’ Buffy said, noting how worried Dawn looked.

‘I am afraid my research has come up with nothing. I looked in every book we have and none of it was any use. Sorry.’

‘I guess we’ll just have to find other avenues. Dawn, go do your homework, It’ll take your mind off things,’ she said

Dawn agreed but before going up, she gave Spike a kiss on the head.

Once the youngest Summers was out of the way, Giles turned serious.

‘Why are you helping him?’

Buffy shifted on the spot.

‘Because he has the behaviour chip, he is completely harmless and I can’t let a harmless creature die like that. Even if he happens to be an ex enemy.’

He narrowed his eyes on her.

‘Besides, how many times has he helped us? We owe it to him, don’t you think?’ she continued.

Giles’ face softened a bit.

He believes me. Nice one, Buffy she thought.

‘Yes, I suppose you’re right. But Buffy, you look exhausted. Why don’t you go and have a nice soak in the bath, have a sleep and I will watch over him for a while,’ he suggested.

‘I don’t know…’

‘If anything happens, I will let you know. Now go.’

She gave her ex-watcher a half smile.

‘Thanks.’

‘You are welcome.’

Buffy headed upstairs. He knew something else was going on but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

You would think that after search half of the building that she would be exhausted? But she wasn’t. In fact, not finding it seemed to drive Grace on. It could be anywhere after all.

Grace had come to a little corridor when the dish began spinning round and on the screen showed a little red dot that indicated that the office was behind the door in front of her.

She ran at full speed and opened up the door. On the other side there was another door which said: Dr Quinn’s office. Grace giggled. For such a smart man that was all he could come up with?

Knuckles wrapped on the door. A few moments later, a young man with messy, jet black hair and an unshaven beard answered. He was dressed in a shirt that was far too big and a pair of jeans.

He smiled and the young girl in front of him, silently cursing the fact that someone had found him.

‘Can I help you?’ he asked.

Her hand gripped the handle of her gun.

‘You’re going to tell me what that serum does that Raven had you make and if you don’t.’

‘I’ll kill you.’ Grace continued.

She pulled out the gun and pointed it to his head. Smiling as she heard him gulp. She would never kill anyone, but he didn’t need to know that.

TBC…


Chapter End Notes:
So guys, what do you think guys? Please read and review!