Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long wait...I am working on another story but i'm trying to finish these ones too. I hope you like it, and i hope that i haven't lost my readers.
Chapter 11: Haunted

Faith was pleased with herself. She got Buffy’s name to the top of the phone tree list. She snickered at the dirty looks she got from the other women and found her seat next to her sister. For the first time Buffy’s name was on that stupid yellow leaf at the top of the tree. All it took was a little bit of magic to boost her older sister’s mood.

“Hey!” Buffy greeted skipping down the stairs and into the kitchen. She kissed her kids on the foreheads. “You guys ready for school?”

“Yeah…” Dawn answered absentmindedly as she stared out the window.

“Okay…” Buffy munched on some toast. “Make sure you’re sister is ready to go too, honey.” Buffy rushed around gathering their lunches and things she needed for work. Dawn didn’t move. “Dawn, what are you looking at?”

Dawn turned to her mother. “The roses….they grew overnight.”

Buffy’s entire body tensed. “Go get your sister.”

Just as Dawn ran up the stairs, Faith was coming down. “What’s goin on?” she frowned.

Buffy turned to Faith. “The roses grew…overnight.”

“What? No, no way! Wait…you don’t think-” Faith stopped her thought.

Buffy closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. “I can’t think anything right now; I am so late for work. Just don’t go outside today, okay. I have to go.” She gave her sister a hug before Buffy drove her daughters to school.

Faith continued to look out the window, not believing that the once dead and brown roses were now full, bloomed and the most vibrant of reds.

* * * * *

Buffy rushed into the doors of the Group Home to find William reading on one of the couches. She smiled, as she slowed her pace and walked over to him. “Hi.” She greeted, sitting beside him.

William placed his bookmark between the pages and closed it before he took off his reading glasses. “Hey, Buffy. I didn’t think you’d be coming in today.”

“Yeah, well I have a few paper work things to do here…and I also wanted to talk to you.” He looked so cute in those glasses, she thought to herself.

William raised his eyebrow. “Really, what about?” he turned a little more in her direction, giving her his full attention.

“Dinner…tonight.” She started to feel the flush creep up her cheeks. “Did you want to have dinner with me?”

The smile that lit up William’s face warmed her heart. “Yes, of course. I was pretty much thinking Chinese for one and Seinfeld re-runs would be the highlight of my evening so, definitely, yes!” he was close to laughing he was so happy.

It was Buffy’s turn to smile. “How about Chinese for two?”

* * * * *

Buffy had called Faith and the Aunt’s to let them know she would not be home for dinner, and to tell her kids she’d see them later that night. As much as William said he wanted to take her to a nice restaurant for their first date, Buffy insisted on take out because it was casual, and there was no pressure. Since William just wanted to get to know her, he didn’t push, and welcomed her into his home.

“I wasn’t really expecting anybody…but make your self comfortable.” He had a fairly large apartment, or more like a loft. Two out of four of the walls were windows, and the other two had large paintings. He gathered a couple of articles of clothing that were lying around, and kicked a pair of his boots out of the way.

Buffy looked around the big room. “Wow. This place is great. I know I don’t pay you enough to afford this.” She joked. She sat herself down on the soft suede couch, and peeled her jacket off.

William poked his head out of the kitchen, where he was preparing the plates of food and a couple glasses of wine. “The place came with the inheritance.” He walked out and handed Buffy her plate, and sat down beside her. “My mother was a painter, and this was her studio.”

Buffy glanced up at the two paintings. “Did your mother paint those?”

William nodded. “That one was done when she was pregnant with me.” The painting was the view from his mother’s eyes of her pregnant belly; from the rounded curve of her breasts, to the belly button, and even the slight stretch marks. It was beautiful.

“Oh my God…that’s amazing. She was really talented.” Buffy munched on her food.

William nodded. “She was. I didn’t know her all that well…but from what I remember she was a beautiful person.”

“How old were you when she…”

“Six...I was seven when I finally settled in with the Bennett’s.” Will confided.

Buffy frowned. “Where was your dad in all this, if you don’t mind me asking?” she couldn’t wait to know more about him.

“My dad was in the military before I was even born, so I’ve never met him. I’m sure he’s roaming around somewhere.” Talking about his dad was always a hard subject. It made him feel awkward, but for some reason telling Buffy didn’t bother him one bit. “What about you? I want to know more about Buffy Summers.”

Buffy laughed. “What do you want to know?”

“Everything.” He replied.

The blonde beside him smiled prettily. “Well, my life isn’t all that interesting.” Flashes of Gabriel, and Arizona crossed her mind.

William raised an eyebrow at her. “You’re a witch, and you’re telling me that your life isn’t that interesting?” he asked her in a disbelieving voice.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Well it hasn’t exactly been a cake walk. When we were younger it took a really long time for people to except us. High school was hell, but somehow we made it through.”

“How did you meet Angel?” he asked.

“Now that’s a funny story.” She giggled. “I was eighteen, and Faith and I were at this house party. It said everyone was welcome…but I guess that meant everyone except us. As soon as we got there, it was like the whole vibe of the party changed. Everyone was looking at us like we were about to fly off on our broomsticks or something.” Buffy was laughing about it, but at the time it was a very painful situation. “Later on in the night, Faith saw this guy looking at me from across the room. She decided to do a little spell…a push I guess you could say; to give me a bit of normal.” Buffy blushed as she continued on with the story. “We were locked away in his room for the rest of the night.” William smiled a tad jealous over hearing that, but elated at the pretty blush that covered her cheeks. “We were together ever since. Faith never thought it was long term thing…honestly I think she just wanted me to get laid.”

Both blondes laughed heartily. “Do you ever wish that you weren’t a witch?” William asked out of curiosity.

Buffy frowned. “Yes…and no. Yes because it was the Summer’s curse that killed Angel. If I wasn’t a witch he would still be alive. And no because if I wasn’t a witch I never would have met him…or you for that matter.” When William frowned in confusion Buffy decided to tell him everything. “When I was little girl…I worked a spell so that I’d never fall in love. I asked for qualities in a man, I knew couldn’t possibly exist.”

William grinned. “Eyes that change color?” She was right; it was a little out of the ordinary. He noted that his irises would change from the palest of blues to the deepest of blacks.

“Yes…” Buffy started tearing up. “But you do.”

“So what you’re saying is…these feelings I have for you, that’s just one of your spells?” William didn’t want to believe that these feelings were forced on him. He wanted to believe that he had his own will, and his will wanted her.

“Remember when you told me that in your interview that you just stumbled upon the Group Home? That for some reason you weren’t aware of, you happened to be in this part of town?” Buffy sighed. “Well the reason you’re here and you don’t know why is because I sent for you. It’s not real, and I’m sorry that I forced this on you.”

Will was started to get upset. “It’s real, Buffy. This thing between us, I can feel it in my blood. Maybe you did bring me here…but I’m not complaining.” William tried not to let his feelings show too much. He didn’t want to scare her with the way he felt about her. “I like you, Buffy…and I don’t believe it has anything to do with a spell of a curse. It’s because of who you are.” He saw her about to protest. “And I don’t mean ‘A Summer’s woman’, I mean who you are.” William brushed a few stray strands of hair away from her face, and behind her ear. “Spells and curses only have power if you believe in them, and I don’t believe that this…” he gestured to Buffy and himself. “, is a spell. It’s so much more than that.”

Buffy just stared at him. She couldn’t deny that she had feelings for him, and that just being in his presence made you feel safe. But the part of her heart that was so devoted to Angel, wanted to push him away. She saw the irises of his eyes change from a pale cerulean to vibrant cobalt. Buffy was lost in them, but was rudely distracted at the whisper that seemed so close to her ear.

“You are always on my mind.” The voice was raspy and deep...a voice she’d never forget.

Buffy shot up out of her seat next to William, and spilt the glass of red wine over the hardwood floor, and smashing the glass to pieces. Will stood up as well in concern.

“Are you okay…what’s wrong?” William walked around the mess, and helped her into another chair. “Buffy…what happened?” Worry was written all over his face, and he was searching hers for any sign that she was okay.

Buffy took a couple of breaths, and looked at the red wine on the floor. “I’m sorry about the mess.” Her voice wavered.

Will shook his head. “Forget about that. I’m more worried about what made you react like that.” He crouched in front of her chair and ran his hands up and down her bare arms to calm her. “Did I say something wrong?”

Buffy shook her head, and pushed back a couple of tears. “No, no of course not. You said…everything right. I just I thought I heard something.” She whispered.

“What did you hear?”

Buffy looked past him. “Nothing.” They sat quietly for a while before she spoke up again. “Maybe I should go.” Buffy moved to get up but William gently pushed her back down into her seat.

“I don’t think that’s the best idea right now. You look too shaken up to be driving…just sit and relax for a while. I’ll make you a cuppa tea.” William stood and moved into the kitchen leaving Buffy in the main room.

Buffy wanted nothing more than to contact Faith, but she knew that if she were experiencing the same thing, she would have called. She checked her phone and saw no missed calls or text messages. The blonde let herself calm down a bit, and told herself to enjoy her date.


Chapter End Notes:
soooo you like?? please leave a review