Author's Chapter Notes:
second chapter today so if you jumped to this one, go back and read the one before first!
Chapter 3: New Lives


“Wow! Man, you know, the last time I just lay in the grass and stared at the sky was like, when I was ten.” Gunn turned his head to the side, giving Faith a soft smile. Faith felt his eyes on her and looked over at him. Turning on her side, and giving Gunn her full attention, she continued. “Buffy and me, we-we used to do this all the time. I remember this one night, there was blood on the moon-old witch tale meaning: trouble’s coming-we went inside, and this chick, came to our door. She looked like shit. Wanted the aunts to do a love spell for her. But for it to work she needed to do a ritual dove piercing. ‘Adoration needle’ right through the heart.” Faith looked passed Gunn, her face taking on a look of recollection. “Buffy couldn’t watch…like it scared her.”

Gunn sat listening to Faith talk about her childhood. She captivated him in everyway. The way she spoke, carried herself, how when she laughed, her eyes took on a twinkle-like shimmer. “And you?”

“Me? I was fascinated by it. Couldn’t wait to fall in love. See I was the dangerous, more adventurous one, whereas Buffy was the sweet, girl next-door type. I haven’t thought about that day in a long time.” Faith rested her head on Gunn’s shoulder, with easy and zero hesitation. She loved this. She never really got comfort from anyone. Didn’t really think she needed it. But she did, and she didn’t realize it until now.

She scooted closer to him, letting his strong arms wrap around her slender frame. She let herself relax when she felt his lips kiss the crown of her head. This was the something she was waiting for.


8 months later:

“Buffy are you sure about this, sweetie?” Aunt Jenny asked concerned.

“Yes! I want to do this, both of us. It just feels right. Weren’t you the one that said ‘if it feels right than it probably is’?” Buffy countered excited about her new plans.

“No, that was me. But this is different, Buffy.” Aunt Joyce appeared from behind her. “We’re talking about you moving in with a boy you only met a few months ago. You barely know him.” Joyce sipped her cocoa that she had just spiked, due to the idea brewing in her older niece’s mind.

“But, I do! He knows who I am, what I am…and he’s okay with it! When, ever, will I find someone like that again?” Buffy exclaimed, begging her family’s acceptance.

“Honey, we’re not asking you to not see him anymore, just maybe you should wait a little while before moving in together.” Jenny suggested gently, wanted Buffy to know that they were on her side.

“Look, I’m not trying to be stubborn-” at the look her aunts were giving her Buffy, backpedaled. “-okay well maybe I am, but this is what we want! I love him and he loves me and I know were gonna stay together forever.” Buffy exclaimed with determination written all over her face.

“Sweetie, maybe you should think of the consequences before-” Joyce tried to slip in, but was quickly cut off.

“No…no thinking about consequences. That’s all I ever do. For once, for once, I just wanna do something on impulse, before thinking about it a dozen times over.” Buffy challenged her aunts. She continued in a weak and pleading voice. “Please, don’t try to fight me on this. Just let me go. My stuff’s already packed.”

“Okay…if this is what you wanna do then-” Jenny took a deep breath to calm her rattling nerves. “If you need anything, if something goes wrong…our door is always open.”

Buffy smiled appreciatively and wrapped her loving aunts in tight hugs. “Thank you, so much! You have no idea how much this means to me.”

Buffy bolted up the stairs to bring her bags of clothes downstairs. Angel would show up soon.

* * * * *

“You’re leaving!?!” Faith shouted in disbelief.

“Yeah, I’m moving in with Angel, isn’t it great?” Buffy smiled giddily, fiddling with her fingers, as she waited for her sister’s answer.

“No!” Faith retorted angrily.

Buffy’s hands dropped to her sides, and a frown, paired with a pout appeared on her face. “What…why?” she asked innocently.

“Because, B! You just met this guy, like eight months ago! Don’t you think things are goin a little too fast?” Faith pushed herself off her bed and stood in front of Buffy.

“N-no.” Buffy was a little caught off guard by her sister’s reaction. She thought for sure she’d be supportive of her. “I love him. I wanna be with him Faithy. He already said that as soon he gets out of college he’s gonna marry me.” Buffy’s giddy smile came back on her face at the thought.

“Buff, that’s just what guys say, doesn’t mean it’s actually gonna happen.” Faith was completely shocked by Buffy’s news. When she cast the spell she didn’t think it was gonna get this serious. Although she was happy that Buffy had someone that she can be with, like she had with Gunn, she didn’t want her big sister leaving the house, and her to deal with the aunts on her own. Even though Faith was seventeen, she still relied on Buffy to be there for her. And now she was leaving…so that gave Faith reason to be mad.

“Not Angel.” Buffy said shaking her head. “He’s different.” Buffy noticed the pensive look on her baby sister’s face. “What, are you not happy for me?” a pout evident in her voice.

“No it’s not that I’m not happy for you-God I’m so happy for you. It’s just-I’m gonna miss you.” Faith quickly pulled Buffy into a hug, nearly knocking her over in the process.

“Aww, Faith…it’s not like you’re never gonna see me again. I’ll come around, a lot. I mean who am I gonna get to do my laundry?” Buffy joked.

“Just, take care of yourself, aiight? And you two be careful.” Faith said with a firm look.

“Oh come on, I don’t think I can take my younger sister, telling me to ‘use protection’.” Buffy blushed, and ducked her head embarrassed.

“No, no-no not that. I mean the curse. B, don’t rush into things to fast…make it last.”

Buffy brushed a few stray hairs out of Faith’s face, and tucked them behind her ear. “I will. This is so amazing…I mean, me-Buffy Summers-is in a serious relationship. Not something I ever thought would happen.” She claimed with a sardonic smile.

The honking of a car outside the bedroom window, snapped the sisters out of their reverie. “That’s Angel. Well, lil sis…this is it.” The two hugged tightly, with their eyes squeezed shut. “I love you…take care of yourself, okay?” Buffy said as she pulled away.

“Yeah, you too. Don’t be a stranger. God I feel like I’m never gonna see you again.” Faith smiled sadly.

“What? Of course you’re gonna see me again. We’re gonna grow old together remember? Two old Pity’s with all these cats. I bet we even die on the same day.” Buffy said with a laugh.

“You swear?” Faith asked challengingly.

Buffy pulled out her pocketknife from her back pocket and whipped the blade open. She sliced the palm of her right hand slowly. “My blood…” she grabbed Faith’s right hand gentle and did the same to her, causing her to flinch for a second. “Your blood…”

They both looked down at their hands and clasped them together instinctively. “Our blood.” They both said at the same time with twin smiles.

Faith hugged Buffy one last time then watched as her older sister grabbed her bags and walked out the door, and into her new life.


Chapter End Notes:
hope you like please review!