Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you for your reviews! this is where things get weird!
Chapter 7: Blood on the Moon Part I

Dawn walked into Buffy’s bedroom to find her mother buried under the covers. “Mom? It’s time for me to go to school…It's the same time as yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that. Out of bed, sleepyhead!” she walked closer to the bed and sat on the edge. “Mom…I’m worried about Michelle. Did you know that she puts on her mouse ears and drives around town all liquored up?” she joked. “NAKED!” Buffy giggled to herself under the covers. Dawn always knew how to make her smile. “Okay…I guess I’ll see you later then.”

Just as she was getting up, Buffy threw the covers off of her and pulled her daughter into her arms. “I’m sorry baby, I’m just…tired.”

“That’s okay Mom.” She stated cuddling close. They stayed that way for a while before both girls left to walk to school. An hour later Buffy finally threw the covers off herself and got out of bed to go to work.

Things seemed fine at ‘Angel’s Sanctuary’. The teens and children were playing out back; basketball, four square and just enjoying the warm weather. Buffy had also hired a couple of close friends to help out as well; Anya and Willow. It was no secret to them who she was…or what she was and neither of them had a problem with it. Growing up in the same town for years they had heard the stories, and heard the taunts from other children.

The three women sat by the large window that faced the street, laughing when they saw Dawn and Michelle walking by. Both girls put their faces against the windows dragging them along the glass and making funny faces. The smile from Buffy’s face dropped when she saw the snobby kids that would pick on her daughters.

“How’s your wicked Momma doing?” the freckled boy teased.

The kids started up. “Witch, witch you’re a bitch! Witch, witch you’re a bitch!”

Buffy stood up and spoke as she headed for the door. “You’d think after three hundred years they’d come up with a better rhyme.” Buffy found Michelle cowering behind Dawn, and Dawn’s face full of tears.

“I hope you get…” Dawn started. He pointer finger shot up. “Chicken pox!”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Put your finger down, Dawn!” she pulled her arm down, and looked at the mother’s that just came to their children. “She was kidding…she was just kidding.” The mother’s started dragging away their kids in horror.

“No she wasn’t Mom.” Michelle stated.

Buffy turned to her oldest daughter. “What is wrong with you? We do not cast and we do not toy with people’s lives! Do you understand this is not a game-” the blonde was cut off from her sobbing child.

“No you don’t cast! And you probably couldn’t even if you tried!” she grabbed her sister’s hand and stomped off. “She has all this power and doesn’t even use it!”

“I think you hurt mommy’s feelings.” Michelle told Dawn.

Buffy walked back inside the doors of the Group Home, and sighed dejectedly and plopped herself down on the sofa. William saw the little scene outside and didn’t know what to make of it. So he heard the stories too…but he never believed them. He always thought that they were stupid rumors, but now…

He sat down beside her; Anya and Willow had gone back to work, and decided to say something. “You okay, pet?” Not the best thing to say, granted, but it was something.

“I guess…my daughter hates me and now I have a handful of mothers ready to come after me with pitchforks.” Buffy sighed again. “So much for a normal life, I tried though…I fell in love and got married. I had the two kids and white picket fence, my own business…but it doesn’t change who I am or where I come from.” She looked at William who was smiling sadly at her. “I know you know who I am. If you grew up in this town then you know all about the Summers women.” She laughed tersely. “Did you know that not one man was born into our family…all women? Is that messed up or what?”

William didn’t really know what to say. He was shocked. But all he could see was her pain, and he really wanted to do something about it…he wanted to help her. “Life isn’t always going to be easy. You have to face the hard times before the easier ones come.”

Buffy looked at him. “But I’ve faced the hard time already! Lots of hard times and things just seem to be getting harder.” She tried not to cry in front of him, but the dam was close to breaking.

Spike ran a hand over her back to sooth her. “Why don’t you take the rest of the day off? Spend time with you’re girls…get your head on straight. I think I can handle okay here without you.” He smiled at her.

Buffy wiped at a tear that fell. “Really?”

“Yes, pet. Now go…take care, okay.” He walked her to the door, and handed her, her purse from behind the desk in her office.

She surprised him, by wrapping her arms around him in a hug. “Thank you.” She quickly pulled away and made her way to her car.

Spike watched her go with a grin. That woman was starting to get to him in a way that made his stomach fill with butterflies and his heart flutter.

* * * * *

Buffy sat at her desk writing another letter to her sister a little after nine that night. It had been almost a month since she stopped by to see her, and Buffy hadn’t heard anything from her dark haired sister. Things had been going good for her at work, with William’s help her job was easier, and everything seemed to be well organized. It was her home life that was in disarray. Everyday was a struggle to get out of bed, and she had to push herself to be social. She only talked to Willow, Anya and Spike, and even when she went to ‘Phone Tree Day’ she rarely said a word. She needed her sister…she need her other half. So there she sat, writing a letter explaining things about her that only Faith would understand.



Dearest Faith,

Sometimes I feel like there's a hole inside of me, an emptiness that at times seems to burn. I think if you lifted my heart to your ear, you could probably hear the ocean. The moon tonight, there's a circle around it. Sign of trouble not far behind. I have this dream of being whole. Of not going to sleep each night, wanting. But still sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing...I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for. I just want someone to love me. I want to be seen. I don't know. Maybe I had my happiness. I don't want to believe it but, there is no man, Faith. Only that moon.



Buffy sealed the white envelope with a black wax stamp and walked out into the night to put it in the mailbox. She took a look at the full moon; a yellowy-white sphere high in the dark sky, large with a red ring surrounding it. She tightened the sweater around her body. As she walked towards the door, the phone rang piercingly in the house. She quickened her steps. “Faith…” she whispered to herself.

She ran the rest of the way and beat Aunt Jenny to the phone. “It’s Faith.” She declared.

“I know.” Buffy yanked the phone off the wall. “Faith…okay, where are you?”

“I’m scared. Can you come and get me?” whispered the broken voice over the phone.


Buffy rushed around the house grabbing a couple of things that she needed. She snapped her cell phone shut. She had just booked herself a flight to Arizona and an extra ticket for Faith. She grabbed her keys and her jacket at shouted out to the Aunts who walked around the corner. “I’m catching the next flight out there, can you just look after the girls for me.”

“Yes we’ll just bring them with us to Solstice Celebration.” Jenny said with a smile.

Buffy frowned. She didn’t have time for this. “Why can’t you two just stay here?” she asked as she hugged them goodbye.

“We can’t back out…we’re on the committee. We’re presenting!” Joyce informed.

Buffy shook her head. “Fine. But I don’t want them dancing naked under the full moon.”

Jenny grinned, as Buffy headed to the door. “No, of course not, dear. The nudity is entirely optional…as you will remember!” she laughed when the door slammed in response.


Chapter End Notes:
leave a comment please and thank you! hope you like it!