Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the late update, i'll try and post another chapter soon. But you're reviews egg me on! Thanks for waiting patiently.
Chapter 9: Dark and Unnatural


Buffy and Faith cleared off the solid wooden table in the spell room, and hauled Gabriel onto the surface. Buffy turned to her sister. “Faith, are you sure you want to do this?” Buffy wasn’t sure. She thought that this was going to be a big mistake.

Faith nodded. “Oh yeah.”

The two of them gathered whatever the spell book asked for. Buffy lit a couple of Tagus root candles and handed Faith a long metal needle. “Okay…” she read off the book. “Lips pursed, emit wind over tongue in motion, teeth on edge.” Buffy got a feel for it, but Faith not so much. That’s good enough.” Buffy continued to read. “Touch bounded smudge of blue sage with braided wheat straw. Insert needles through eyes of corpse.”

Faith nearly dropped the needle in her shock. “Through the eye?!”

Buffy nodded. “In the eye.” She was trying to calm herself down. Faith would have noticed that she was making a small pace in the floor if she wasn’t so freaked out herself.

Faith shook her head. “No way…I think we should wait for the Aunts.” She put the needle down and stepped away from the table.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her sister. “It’s not like he’s going to stay fresh! It’s now or never.” They both reached forward to lift his eyelids, and jumped back when they saw his eyes. They were glazed over and empty and gave them both the Wiggins. “Auughh! Ew!” She hollered. Buffy took a minute to get herself back together. Okay, okay….get me something white to draw a star.” She waved Faith off.

Faith came back from the kitchen with a can of whip cream. “Is this good? It’s all I could find.” She shrugged.

Buffy was surprised. “No! This is good!” She grabbed the can and drew a five point start on his chest. She then looked at the spell book and repeated the chant. “So we’re supposed to say ‘Black is night, erase Death from our sight. White is light, Mighty Hecate make it right.’ That’s while we do the eye and needle thing.”

Both women took a deep breath and picked up the needles. They started the chant in sync with each other. “‘Black is night, erase Death from our sight. White is light, Mighty Hecate make it right.’” The repeated the chant over and over again until their voices meshed and you couldn’t tell who was saying what. Their voices echo in the room, calling out to Goddess above them.

They both close their eyes while Gabriel’s snapped open. He reached up and grasped Faith’s neck in his large hands. “I want you to be my wife!” he screamed at her. Buffy ran forward to pull his arms down. Gabe swung out and knocked her to towards the counter. Buffy grabbed for the edge to keep herself stead, and looked back to see Faith’s dead boyfriend try to strangle her while shouted that he wanted to marry her. She could see Faith’s hands attempting to pry his fingers from around her neck. Buffy grabbed the first thing she could see; which happened to be a stainless steel deep pan, and charged forward to smash it over his head. When she did, Gabe dropped his hands, his head, and his body slipped off the table and onto the floor.

Faith was panted heavily, and holding her neck gently in her shaking hands. She looked at her sister, as Buffy stared back at her, her chest heaving. Faith and Buffy dragged the body threw the house, and out the back door. It was raining again. They grabbed shovels from the shed, and dug a human sized hole in front of the rose bush. Once they pushed him in, they covered him back up quickly as if to be rid of it.

Faith looked down at her feet stomping the mud down, then looked up at Buffy that was doing the same thing. “Thank you, B. Thank you for being my sister.” She pulled the blonde in for a hug, and then wiped the rain from her eyes.

Buffy shook her head. “Don’t thank me for that. I’d do anything for you…you’re my blood. I’d even kill a man.” she joked without a smile.

Faith smiled. “What do we tell the Aunts?” she asked as they started walking in.

Buffy stopped in her tracks. “Nothing. We don’t tell them anything, okay?” she said firmly.

Faith nodded eagerly. She didn’t want the Aunt’s to know either. “Okay, okay.”

The two sisters went back inside, to wash up and sleep…and to pretend that it never happened.

* * * * *

When Buffy heard the Aunt’s car pull up in the driveway, she came down the stairs. She met Faith at the bottom. She was freaking out.

“What if they don’t like me?” This was her first time meeting her nieces since they were babies, and she thought the worst.

Buffy smiled. “Calm down, they’ll love you.”

The front door opened and closed. It sounded like elephants were running through the house. “Mom! Mom!” they shouted. “We had so much fun!” Michelle cried with a giant smile on her face.

“And we danced naked under the full moon!” Dawn finished The older sister finally noticed the other presence in the room and ran to her, with her sister following. “Aunt Faith!” the girls leaped into her arms and Faith had to stop herself from falling over.

“You guys! You guys have gotten so big!”

Jenny and Joyce walked in shortly after, and smiled at the niece they hadn’t seen for a very long time. Faith pulled out of the hug of the little girls to greet them. “Hi, Aunt Joyce.” Joyce embraced her, and brushed the hair out of her face to look at the fading bruise.

Joyce smiled. “A little Mugwort will fix that right up.” The older woman turned around towards the girls. “Now, why don’t we all go to the greenhouse, and I’ll show you how make a little healing cream, hm?” Buffy shot her a look, and Joyce reiterated. “Just some herbs, Dear. No nonsense as you like to call it.” She took her girls by the hands and led then to the backyard.

Jenny gave Faith a hug as well. “Don’t worry, Sweetheart. Whoever did this will get what’s coming to them.” Faith gave her a hesitant smile and glanced at Buffy. “Now how would you like a brownie?”

Faith laughed as Jenny led her to the kitchen. “A brownie! You guys still do that? Something’s never change in this house!”

Buffy was left standing there to think of her Aunt’s words. He’ll get what’s coming to him. “He already did.” She muttered to herself as she grabbed her purse and left for work. She really had nothing else to do today even though it was a Saturday. Usually she had William and Anya working today, but she needed to get her mind off of the last 24 hours.


Buffy walked through the front doors of ‘Angel’s Sanctuary’, and made her way to the back where her office was and the other couple of desks for whoever was working that day. She saw William’s face scrunched with thought, his brows deeply furrowed as he read whatever was on the piece of paper in his hand. She walked up and sat down in the chair in front of him.

“Whatcha you reading?” Buffy’s voiced startled him out of his thoughts.

“Oh! Morning Buffy…uh nothing.” He sat up straight and put the paper face down on his desk. What he was reading had him flustered enough, let alone the little crush that was starting to form for his beautiful widowed employer.

Buffy wasn’t buying it. “Well it’s gotta be something to give you Pensive face. You’re brows were so furrowed I thought they were merging.” She laughed, but she stopped when William didn’t even crack a smile. “Will…what’s wrong? Are you okay?” she was worried now.

William sighed, and shook his head. “No, I’m fine…I’m not so sure about you though.” When Buffy only frowned at him, he reached for the paper and handed it to her.

Buffy started to read:

Dearest Faith,

Sometimes I feel like there's a hole inside of me, an emptiness that at times seems to burn.


She stopped at looked back up at him with shock on her face. “How did you get this?”

“It was in my mailbox this morning…” he was going to finish explaining but the blonde cut him off.

“That’s impossible! It was supposed to go to Arizona!” Buffy glared at him. “So you read other people’s letters on a daily basis, is that it?” her anger and shock got the better of her.

“No! Look I don’t know how it got in my mailbox, or why I opened it, alright! I just did. Something told me that should…or something.” William was nervous and confused. When he picked up his mail this morning and found the letter, his gut was telling him to red it. “I didn’t even know it was from you until I read your name at the bottom of the letter.”

Tears were gathering in Buffy’s eyes. William knew now. He knew the pain that she trying so hard to hide. He knew her deepest desires, her worst fears. And that scared her. “How many times did you read my letter?” her voice wasn’t angry anymore. It was curious, and sad.

William felt bad for putting those tears in her eyes. “Look, Buffy I’m so sorry…”

“How many times did you read my letter?” she repeated as she finally raised her eyes to his.

“A couple of times.” He admitted. A lonely tear fell from one of her green orbs. “I’m sorry…” he started when he saw Buffy jump out of her chair and towards her office. He jumped up as well and followed her in, narrowly missing the door being slammed. He closed the door behind him and grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him.

Without giving a thought to what he was doing, William kissed her passionately, with his soft lips. He didn’t push her, but gently prodded her lips with his tongue, as she started to respond. After a moment, Buffy lightly pushed on his chest.

“We can’t…I can’t do this. I’m sorry.” She whispered, even as she caressed his face with her dainty hands. She placed a soft kiss on his lips again, and let him hold her close to him, his hands weaving through her golden locks.

When they pulled away to breathe, William rested his forehead on hers. “I notice you.” He whispered.

Buffy pulled back to look at him with surprise written on her face. That’s when she noticed it. She watched his eyes change from a dark and lusty blue, to a blue that resembled the Arctic Ocean. “Your eyes just changed color.” She whispered more to herself. “I have to go.” She pulled out of his embrace, and ran out of her own office.

William sighed and looked after her. “I was born with it.”

* * * * *

Buffy made her way up the stair into the room that was reserved for her and Angel, she added as an afterthought. She threw herself on the bed and willed herself to take a nap.


Chapter End Notes:
thanks for reading please review!