“Spike? As in William the Bloody? That Spike?” Eddie groaned and fought the urge to hit something, preferably the bleached blonde vampire that held Buffy just out of his reach.

“He, uh, it was a trigger during the battle with the First Evil. His mother used to sing it to him and he, uh, well he killed with his soul when it was triggered. We need to get a hold of him and find out whether he’s being triggered again…maybe…and could I have used the word ‘triggered‘ anymore? Look we just need to see if Spike is out there killing again so we can stop it.”

“Or maybe he’s decided he doesn’t want to be a neutered vampire anymore and went back on his killing streak. I still can’t believe you didn’t stake him after what he did to you Buffy. He’s a monster, with or without the soul, and when he chose…” Dawn glared down at her older sister

“Dawn! Shut up! Spike is not a killer anymore and yes, he did decide that we weren’t meant for each other…on his own but I can’t just accuse him of killing these people. As far as we know he’s still in Los Angeles with her.” Buffy turned back towards the doorway and gave a challenging look to her former lover. “I’m going to Los Angeles, are you coming?”

“You talkin’ to me?” Eddie’s incredulous gaze was enough to distract her from her anger and she burst out laughing.

“Yeah, I’m talkin’ to you, gangster boy. So are you coming or not?”

“Yeah, I’m coming. Just let me get approval from the captain and tell Tate I’m out for the weekend. I can meet you back at your place after I grab my bag and we can…Dawn, are you alright with this?” He stopped and ran his hand through his dark hair as he watched the pretty brunette girl scrutinize the couple.

“Yeah, yeah I’m good. I don’t have to go right?” The normally bouncing girl merely shuffled in place under the scrutinizing gaze of her older sister and the handsome cop.

“No, you can stay here. Eddie and I can take care of Spike and Faith, no problem. Keep your cell phone on?” Buffy gave her a look of concern before figuring that the girl was old enough to take care of herself for the weekend. Besides, staying at home had to be more appealing than seeing her ex’s.

“As always”

“Ok, I’ll meet you back at the house in forty-five minutes after I drop Dawn off.” Buffy leaned forward to graze his lips before sprinting off to the tiny sports car and blazing out of the parking lot, leaving Eddie standing in the parking lot for mere moments before he sprinted back up the stairs to get approval for his getaway.

Nearly running into Andrea at the top of the stairs, he skidded to a stop mere centimeters from bowling her over. “You’re going with her to Los Angeles, aren’t you?” Her brown eyes burrowed into him like daggers as she huffed at the indignation of being dropped for his former. They were supposed to be partners, albeit in a professional capacity but a girl could hope, right? “Look, whatever Ed, just do whatever you need to do there, or rather do Buffy and then get back here before this psycho decides to attack again. I can work with Anderson until you get back here.”

“Tate, I’m not going there on a romantic weekend or whatever…Buffy doesn’t think of me that way and we’re going to check up on a couple of leads.” At her sullen gaze, he continued. “I’m not abandoning you Tate. I’m not secretly going back to Captain Richardson and asking for a new partner, wouldn’t do that to you…not after Wallace did. I’ll be back on Monday, Tuesday at the latest.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure she doesn’t feel the same way about you…I saw the kiss and that certainly didn’t look like a kiss between two friends…don’t be surprised if she wants more this weekend Ed…just don’t let her break your heart again.” Andrea stepped aside and let him pass her, carefully voiding her face of any and all emotion and he continued back down the stairs. There would be time to cry later. She’d made a vow to herself the last time her partner had chosen another woman over her and was determined to stick with it. As she walked back into the crime scene, she idly rubbed her lower belly in a gesture of comfort to the empty womb.

Summers residence

“Dawn, can you grab my black duffel from the closet?” Buffy poked her head out of her own closet for a moment to yell for her sister.

“Which closet? There’s like a million in this place…never mind, I found it.” Dawn bounced into her older sister’s room to find the bed covered in various clothing items, some neatly folded and others strewn across the burgundy comforter. Striding over to the bed in just a few bounds, Dawn picked up a black lace item and held it up in front of her. “So you were saying this wasn’t a booty call?”

“Put that down and help me start packing…I’m taking it just as a precaution…I might meet someone there and…”

“And decide to jump him in a two hundred dollar piece of lingerie? Yeah right Buffy. I wasn’t born yesterday. I know exactly what you are planning and I know he’ll have no problems with it. You’re staying in the Hyperion, right?”

“Yeah…Angel has the room so…it would be cheaper than finding another place…”

“And the fact that Spike will be there with all of his enhanced vampire smelling. Admit it, you want to make him jealous.” Dawn stood in her version of the Slayer’s personal favorite stance with her hands on her hips as she waited for an answer.

“Well…and I really like Eddie, besides Spike has Faith now so he shouldn’t care who I decide to spend my nights with.” The slayer tugged at the zipper on her duffel bag as she tried to close the overflowing leather.

“So you and Eddie, this is serious now?” Dawn watched her sister with a weathered eye and saw the relief flash through the hazel eyes.

“It has to be. Spike’s made his decision and now I have to live with it. I can’t and won’t compete with Faith for his affections. He’s over me so I’m moving on. Can you get the door?” She didn’t wait for an answer before walking through the connecting door from the bedroom to the bathroom to finish gathering necessities.

Eddie leaned against the front door as the youngest Summers stared him down from across the foyer, her gaze unwavering as she took in his black suit and shiny shoes. He looked the part of class and elegance, right down to the Ray-bans that were perched across the bridge of his nose, his normally jaded eyes covered for the moment. She noted that he had smoothed down his hair before arriving, yet the dark brunette locks still appeared thick and wavy even from across the room.

“Emergency numbers are on the fridge and I left $50 for you to get food and whatnot. No parties and don’t burn the house down while I’m gone. Love you.” Buffy paused to kiss her sister on the cheek before taking Eddie’s proffered arm and letting him lead the way to her shiny black Mercedes.