Blood spattered the walls in the grey tiled room. Tools and toys littered the cement floor, most covered in the blood from his latest victim. Margaret hadn’t been enough. He needed more; he needed to see another one plead for their life as he held that power in his hands. He needed that fear in their eyes when they realized he wanted to destroy them; to make them scream in less than pleasurable ways for them. There were no windows in the spacious cellar and only the light from the dusty chandelier showered the room in a dim light. A silver glint held high in the air for a moment…a second…a minute…an hour…time had no authority before it was brought down and sliced through the man’s larynx. Tendons ripped and spliced as red liquid mixed with foam splattered onto his clothing and that of his attacker; the charismatic man who had offered him a place to sleep and enough money to cover his train ticket back home if he’d done what he had offered. It was an opportunity to get off the streets and away from the life of prostitution he’d found himself in…it was an offer he should have refused.

He gurgled. Fighting for air and attempting to scream through the pain as more of his blood stained the cement floor. His fingers clenched the bloodstained wooden chair as his head fought forward against the restraints.

His attacker laughed, more of a cackle really. Head thrown back as he cackled manically at the sight of blood pouring down the walls and his victim’s fear-riddled eyes, he was quite pleased with himself. His demon brought to the forefront as he twirled the knife in his hand, the sharp blade catching occasionally and nicking his fingertips or palm.

The pain egged him on as he brought the knife down again, this time aimed at the bound boy’s abdomen as he deftly sliced through fabric and muscle. Again, he sliced lower through the boy’s leg. Blood struck the walls.

He giggled and surveyed the damage before him.

There was only one thing left as he plunged his fangs into the man’s wrist as he sucked harder on the vulnerable flesh.

His victim cried out once more, a bloodcurdling scream before the room was eerily silent.

The black-clad man stood and observed his handiwork with a satisfied grin before stalking out of the room and shutting off the only light to the room, leaving the body where it sat strapped into a hard backed chair. With one final glance into the boy’s grey, bleak eyes, he chuckled and slammed the door shut before proceeding through the rest of the house. His demon satisfied for the moment. Blood and sex were what he lived for and he was living well.

Outside of the room, he quickly changed clothes and pulled out the boy’s wallet. He’d been a runaway, from whom the man didn’t care. All that mattered was he had been stupid enough to still be outside in a town as dangerous and unpredictable as Sunnydale and willing enough to do anything the man wanted for enough cash. He glanced back down at the student I.D from a neighboring college; it would work well enough once the picture was changed out.

On the road between Sunnydale and Los Angeles

“Are you going to talk to me or should I plan on you giving me the silent treatment the rest of the ride?” Buffy threw her head back against the headrest as she peered over at Eddie.

He didn’t respond, instead choosing to fiddle with the radio first.

“If you really want to stay somewhere else we can get another hotel but I figured it would be easier to keep an eye on Spike…”

“Don’t you mean lead the calf straight to slaughter?” His dark hair hiding his eyes temporarily from view as he clenched the steering wheel tighter.

“Huh?”

“Don’t act surprised, Buffy. We both know he still has feelings for you after all this time. Do you really expect he’ll welcome me into his home, especially if he’s been killing again?” Eddie fingered the holster containing his gun. If it came down to it, he was willing to take out the vamp or take himself out before the sadistic vamp had a chance. After his many years in Sunnyhell, he was not going to die at the hands of William the Bloody or the like.

The rest of the ride was met in complete silence.

The Hyperion

“You’re looking extra- broody today. Wha’s got your knickers in a twist?” Spike plopped himself down into a chair across from Angel, duster sprawled around him as he hooked his thumbs into his belt loops.

“Buffy.”

“What about the Slayer?” His ears perked. “Slayer’s alright, yeah?”

“She’s fine but…” Angel didn’t have time to finish his sentence before the annoying bleached blonde was off for the running, his mouth going a mile a minute.

“Not headaches again, is it? Knew she should’ve gone to get a second opinion. Stupid git told her to take aspirin for ‘em…” Spike looked decidedly worried as he considered his options of finding the Slayer’s doctor and pummeling him into the ground.

Angel waited patiently, or as patiently as he could watching the Brit pace in front of him, “Stop pacing. Buffy’s fine, physically anyway but she…they are coming here…”

Spike stopped and turned his head to his poof of a sire, “Nibblet’s comin’?

“If you’re referring to Dawn- no. She’s…”

“The witch? The whelp? Don’t tell me…the watcher?” Spike resumed his pacing as he counted off the slayer’s friends and family. None of them fit if it wasn’t Dawn.

Angel stood, “No, it’s …”

The front doors opened to reveal the petite slayer standing in the doorway.

Spike snapped and lunged for the suit-adorned cop behind her. He was stopped by a fist to his nose and a decided pop confirming she had managed to break it…yet again.

“Wha’s he doin’ ‘ere?” He ignored the feeling of her hot hands on either side of his nose as she helped him pop it back into place. She backed up several steps once she realized how close they were and the man standing behind her, gun drawn.

“He needs help on a case and I need your help to help him.” She turned towards the wary cop. “Drop it. Those things never help and they certainly won’t kill either of them or slow them down much. Angel, we need a room for a couple of nights.”

At Angel’s nod, Spike stalked out of the room, punching a wall as he did so.

“So where’s Faith?”