Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy discovers something that will change her life forever and someone surprising comes seeking forgiveness

A HUGE thanks to my fantastic Beta Pixiecorn (Kelly) who took the time to look over this chapter for me, thanks Hun. Also a BIG thanks to Edgehead (Mel) for the awesome banner.
Chapter 14

Seeking forgiveness

Four weeks later

Buffy could not believe her eyes.

Swallowing a lump in her throat, she looked down at the little plastic stick that lay in her hand. Those two little pink lines staring back at her had changed her life forever. How had this happened?

It wasn’t possible.

She was on the pill, it had to be a mistake but looking over at the three other positive tests that lay on the bathroom sink, she knew it wasn’t a mistake.

She'd feared she might be pregnant and had gone out and brought the tests. All the signs where there nausea, tender breasts, tiredness and of course the biggest clue, she was three weeks late but having suspicions and actually confirming them where two very different things. With a deep sigh, she slumped to the floor, there was no denying it.

She was pregnant.

How was she going to tell her mother? What would she say to Spike? No! her mind screamed. She couldn’t tell Spike. She wouldn’t. He had already said their time together was nothing more than a mistake, showing up to his place four weeks later and announcing her pregnancy wasn't going to help anyone.

No, it was better that he didn’t know.

Cordelia would be a problem though, he was her brother, she couldn’t expect her to keep it from him but she didn’t want him finding out either. Buffy felt hot tears spring to her eyes. What was she going to do? Just then the bathroom door burst open and her mother walked in.

“Buffy I...” she started but quickly stopped seeing what Buffy was holding “You're pregnant...” She whispered, stunned. Buffy couldn’t seem to talk instead the hot tears that once framed her eyes now ran down her checks as she sobbed.

“Oh baby,” Joyce whispered, moving to her daughter and wrapping her arms around her tightly. “It’s going to be okay sweetheart, I promise.” She whispered in her hair.

“How is it going to be okay? I’m seventeen years old and I’m pregnant.” Her voice cracked as she broke down, her arms tightening to hold her mother “You must be so disappointed.” She whispered, Joyce pulled back stunned.

“I could never be disappointed in you Buffy, never. I love you and I will always support you in whatever you do." She wiped the tears from Buffy's cheeks. "What about the father?”

Buffy swallowed the lump in her throat before answering.

“He’s not in the picture anymore.”

“That’s okay sweetie." Joyce gave Buffy a comforting smile. "We can do this together.”

Buffy smiled, grateful for her mother’s support. She almost fainted at the sight of who walked through the door.

“Dad?”

“Hello Elizabeth.” Hank Summers smiled softly.

Buffy didn’t know what to do or say, moving to hide the pregnancy test in her hand behind her back. “Don’t bother, Elizabeth. I heard your conversation with your mother.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed at the use of her name.

“My name is Buffy.” She spat, dropping the test on the ground and pushing past him. Ever since Hank had abandoned them two years ago she had hated being called by her first name for two reasons, one, Hank had chosen her name. Joyce had wanted to call her Buffy but Hank wanted to name her after his late mother who had passed away while Joyce was pregnant and two, Hank was the only one who ever called her Elizabeth. Hank grasped her arm gently turning her to face him.

“Eliz... Buffy please, I’m not judging or angry I just want a moment to speak with you.” His eyes pleaded her and as much as she wanted to tell him to drop dead, she found herself nodding and walking into her room and sitting on the bed, watching as both Hank and Joyce came into the room.

“I have spoken to your mother and told her I would like to be a part of your life again.” Buffy looked up at him, she couldn’t stop herself from laughing bitterly.

“Now you want to be a part of my life?” She spat.

“I always wanted to be part of your life before too Buffy but with everything that happened with your mother and Harmony...”

“How is the brainless twit?”

“Harmony and I have been separated for some time now.”

“Ah, so that’s the reason you want back in our lives?” With a sigh, Hank moved forward and knelt down in front of her, taking her hand in his.

“No, Buffy the way I acted was inexcusable but I was going through something and I acted irrationally, very much like a teenager with a crush and I’m not trying to make excuses for what I did to both you and your mother but I’m sorry for it, for causing you both pain. I don’t expect you to forgive me right away but I was hoping that maybe one day...” Buffy looked between her mother and father.

“Are you guys... getting back together?” She asked, unsure.

“No, your mother has made it quite clear that, that will never happen even though I still love her dearly.”

“You can’t just waltz in here and say your sorry and expect everything to go back to how it was, I mean you left mom and me for someone else not to mention the fact that you also left us with a mountain of debt, your debts.”

“I know and while I can’t replace the time I have costed you and your mom, I can repay the money and have, I wrote your mother a cheque this morning.” Looking up in shock she saw Joyce nod, sighing, she didn’t know what to do or say.

“Buffy, I would like to help you with your situation.” Panic flooded through her.

“I’m keeping the baby.” She spoke quickly.

“I expected you would but I would like to help, it’s not cheap bring a child into this world and raising it alone can be very hard especially when your only a teenager. A friend of mine has a daughter the same age as you, her name is Faith, she's also pregnant, four months I think he said, anyway, she has just started at a high school for young pregnant teens.” He explained. “A place where teen moms to be can go and finish school without having to worry about being judged and they also teach you about being a parent too, its only an hour from Sunnydale. I could find you and your mother a place to live and then after the baby is born if you need work or money for college or even a babysitter I can help.”

“I couldn’t leave the gallery, not at the moment with our new investor.” Joyce explained. “But Buffy, I think this would be good for you and I could come and join you in three months.”

“You don’t want me here anymore? I’ve embarrassed you haven’t I?” Buffy sighed, looking down ashamed. Joyce moved fast across the room and knelt down next to Hank.

“Oh sweetheart, of course not. If I could leave now I would in a heartbeat and you don’t have to go, you can stay here with me in Sunnydale.” Joyce explained the best she could, Buffy knew she couldn’t stay, she knew it would only be a few months before she started to show and then Cordy would put two and two together and before long Spike would know she was pregnant.

“No, I want to go, this school sounds great but you’ll come right in a few months?”

“Of course.” She promised

“Dad and I can look for a place for you and I to rent and until then I can stay with dad.”

“Oh no Buffy, I can’t have you and your mom renting a place, I'll buy you an apartment.”

“Hank no, I couldn’t...” Joyce started but he cut her off.

“It’s for Buffy, the deed will be in her name. Consider it an early baby present.” Buffy smiled.

“Thanks dad.” Hank smiled, happier at the word dad falling from her lips. It held no anger or hatred in it and while he knew he wasn’t in the clear yet at least this was a start.

“Mom, can I ask you a favour?”

“Of course.”

“Can you not tell anyone about me being pregnant? I’ll tell them in my own time.” Joyce nodded.

Buffy knew she wasn’t being fair just running out of town without even a goodbye but she decided this was for the best. Spike could go on with his life unaware of the baby and she would call Cordy once she was out of Sunnydale, she just wouldn’t tell her about the baby until it was born. Then she could make something up, say it was a one night stand not long after she moved from Sunnydale.

She hated lying to Cordy and she didn’t want to leave her best friend, she would miss her so much but this is what was best for everyone, if she just disappeared.


Chapter End Notes:
So?? what do you think so far?? let me know :)