Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy and Spike talk some more.

A huge thanks to my Beta Serendipity (Christine) for going over this chapter for me, thanks so much hun! Also a huge thanks to Edgehead (Mel) for the awesome banner
Chapter 18

Learning curves.

Buffy sat on her bed quietly looking at Dawn’s sleeping form next to her, she felt a mixture of relief and fear; she was happy that Dawn now had a chance to get to know her father, to spend time with him. Dawn had always asked why she didn’t have a father and Buffy had never lied to her.

She had told her she did have a father, that his name was William and he was a good and decent man but that he lived far away. Whenever Dawn asked any questions about Spike Buffy would always answer honestly, she never wanted to keep the truth from her. Buffy was suddenly jarred from her thoughts when her mobile began to ring, leaning over to pick it up she answered.

“Hello,” she whispered.

“Hi,” Spike replied.

“Hold on a second, Spike,” Buffy whispered. Tucking the blanket around Dawn, she moved down stairs and out to the front porch.

“Okay sorry about that, but Dawn just went to sleep and I didn’t want my talking to wake her.”

“Oh ok, is she a light sleeper?”

“The lightest.” Buffy laughed knowing the slightest sound could wake Dawn.

“Listen Buffy, I called because I would like to see Dawn tomorrow.”

Buffy felt fear grip her, she wanted Spike to spend time with Dawn but she was worried how Dawn would react” to being alone with him.

“Of course.”

“I want to tell her I’m her dad.”

Buffy knew she had to be there for that, she knew Dawn would look to her for support and confirmation. “I think that’s a great idea.”

“Well, I’ll pick her up at eleven then.”

“Um actually, Spike I think I should be there.” She heard him sigh at this.

“Buffy, we talked about this I want some alone time with her and I don’t really feel like being near you at the moment as I said I’m still pretty angry.”

“And you can still be angry with me there, I’m sorry Spike, I know you want to spend time alone with her and I understand but until Dawn gets to know you a bit you’re going to have to put up with me being there,” she stated.

“That’s not fair Buffy, don’t I get a say in this?”

“Look, I’m not doing this to be a bitch, I’m only thinking of Dawn. She doesn’t know you, you’re a stranger to her and I know what she’ll be like if I just leave her with you, she is going to freak out,” Buffy tried her best to explain.

“And whose fault is it that she doesn’t know me?” she heard him say angrily.

“Mine, but you know what Spike, I’m not the only guilty party in this, there is a reason I left and that reason was because you wanted nothing to do with me, now I know I should have contacted you once things had calmed down and I’m truly sorry I didn’t but you can’t keep putting all the blame on me,” she hissed.

“Oh so now this is my fault?”

“That’s not what I’m saying, I’m just saying you had a part to play,” sighing frustrated; she tried to calm herself down before continuing. Look, if you take Dawn without me and tell her you’re her dad she is going to freak, I have always been there with her, for her, and she will look to me for answers and I need to be there to give them to her.”

“Once she gets to know me I want to spend time alone with her,” Spike said.

There was something playing on her mind and there was no gentle way to put it but she needed to know for sure.

“And you can, I will never stop you from seeing Dawn but I need to know how much time you want with her?”

“What do you mean?” he asked confused.

“Are you going to try and take custody of Dawn?” she asked bluntly.

“Do you really think I would try and take her away from you?” he asked, clearly hurt by her assumption.

“It’s not that I think you would Spike, but people do it all the time and I need to know where we stand, Dawn is everything to me… I won’t lose her.” She knew that she was being blunt and straight forward and that this might hurt him but she needed him to know that she wouldn’t let him take Dawn from her.

“I wouldn’t do that, Buffy,” sighing, he took a much needed breath. “Look, you’re clearly a great mother to Dawn and you have done a wonderful job with her, so I have no reason to take her from you, I just want time with her too, to be her dad.”
Buffy felt relief flood through her at his answer.

“Thank you Spike, and know I will never stop you from seeing Dawn anytime you want,” she said, wanting to make that very clear.

“Thank you,” she heard him whisper “Um, so tomorrow maybe we could take Dawn to the park for a picnic and sit down and tell her that I’m her dad.”

“I’m sure she will love that.”

“Good well I’ll pick you both up at eleven.”

“Great we’ll see you then, good night Spike.”

“Good night Buffy.”

Hanging up the phone, Buffy sighed happily. At least now, she knew where she stood. Spike wouldn’t try and take Dawn from her; it’s not that she thought he would but she had seen friends from her old school go through nasty custody battles and so the thought had been nagging at her slightly.

She was looking forward to tomorrow, she knew that Dawn would have questions and she would just have to answer them as best she could but she also knew that Dawn would be so excited to finally meet her dad, smiling at the thought she was about to head inside when she saw a familiar black SUV pull up.

Walking down the foot path, she met Faith as she hopped out. Faith had been the first person she had met in L.A, Faith had also been pregnant at the time; she had given birth to a little boy one month before Dawn was born, she had called him Connor and he and Dawn were now best friends.

“Hey, I didn’t think you were coming till tomorrow night,” Buffy smiled, hugging her.

“Well, your dad gave me the day off so I could pack for the trip, I thought to hell with waiting so I decided to come today,” Faith smiled at her. Faith had been working as Hank’s assistant for two years now.

“That’s great, I could really use an ear at the moment.”

“Really? What’s going on?”

“Dawn’s dad is here in Sunnydale and he knows about her.”

Faith wasn’t really surprised, Buffy had told her that Spike was Cordy’s older brother. Faith had seen pictures of him, and Dawn looked just like him so it didn’t take a genius to work it out.

“Oh, well, we better get inside so you can tell me everything.” Faith smiled, picking Connor up from the back seat as they moved inside.

Faith had been four months pregnant when she had met Buffy, she had been wild and just a little crazy, but once she realized she was going to be a mom she settled down; going back to school and finally getting a job as Hank’s assistant.

Hank and Faith’s dad, Ethan, both worked for the same law firm and were close friends. Buffy had taken an instant liking to Faith, they had a lot in common being teen single teen moms for one, but also Connor had never met his father either, he had been a one night stand and Faith was never able to track him down. Faith never talked about him much, she had never even told Buffy his name, but Buffy could tell there was hurt there. Buffy and Faith had supported and comforted each other, as a result of that, they had become close friends.


Chapter End Notes:
So?? what do you think so far?? let me know :)