Author's Chapter Notes:
A MASSIVE thanks to my awesome Beta Pixiecorn (Kelly) who took the time out of her busy life to look over this for me, thanks hun. Also a HUGE thanks to Edgehead (Mel) for the awesome banner.
Chapter 5

Secret number one.

Buffy put the last of her clothes into the cupboard and zipped up her suit case before sliding it under the bed. She looked around the guest bedroom that Jenny had prepared for her and let out a sigh, her mother hadn’t even been gone twenty four hours and already she missed her.

Buffy thought that when her mother had returned to full time work that she would eventually get used to seeing very little of her but she never did… she always missed her.

She sat back down on the bed and closed her eyes, rubbing her temples in an attempt to chase her growing headache away. She was jolted from her relaxed state when she heard a soft tap at the door, turning her head towards the sound she smiled, Cordy was smiling softly at her from the doorway.

“Can I come in?”

“Of course.”

Cordy shut the door behind her and walked across the room, taking a seat next to her best friend.

“Are you okay?” she asked, clearly concerned.

“Yeah, just tired.”

“You’re a terrible liar… You’re angry at her?”

“No! I could never be angry at her. She works her butt off for us so I have everything I need or want. She’s earning the money to pay his debts so we don’t have to struggle… I just miss her.” she whispered.

“So you’re still angry with him?” Buffy stood from the bed, running a hand through her hair as she began to pace the room trying to calm herself.

“I don’t want to talk about it, Cordy.” Buffy sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

“You can’t stay mad at him forever, Buffy. He’s your father.”

“My father is dead to me,” her eyes darkened. “He has been since the moment he chose that bottle blonde, bimbo sectary over his family… I mean…God!” She let out a shudder. “How disgusting is it she was only just eighteen. He’s over twenty years her senior! She only wanted him for his money and of course he took every last cent he and my mother had saved up together, leaving us to pay his bills and clean up the mess.” Buffy started to rant. Cordy knew she needed to vent, jumping when Buffy’s voice rose.

“You know she used to baby sit me, right? That’s how they first met, she was only sixteen then and I know it’s wrong but I keep wondering if he was fucking her then too… Gross! The thought makes me sick to my stomach, he’s old enough to be her father.” Buffy met Cordelia’s gaze. “She’s only four years older than me, that’s just…ehg!. Harmony Kendal, I hate her! She destroyed my family.” Buffy felt her eyes well and refused to let her tears fall. “Of all the idiot bimbos in this world why her? Why my family? Why my dad?”

Cordy’s heart broke for her friend, Buffy hadn’t called Hank “Her dad” in two years. She stood and wrapped her arms around Buffy, patting her hair as she cried.

“It’s going to be okay, I promise.” Buffy nodded, hoping that she was right, wanting more than anything to believe her friends words.

“I hate him, I hate them both.” Buffy whispered, her blood boiling at the thought of Hank and Harmony. Cordy couldn’t help but let a tear fall down her check at her friends admission.

Her heart broke just a little bit more. Buffy was more than just her best friend she was like the sister she never had.

The sound of a car door slamming knocked Cordy from her thoughts. She glanced past Buffy and out the window, her eyes widening at what she saw, Her brother walking up the drive way with Xander in tow.

Buffy turned and followed Cordy’s gaze and only saw Xander.

“You didn’t tell me Xander was coming over.”

“I only just found out myself. William said he had a friend staying with us over Christmas. God! Buffy, how am I going to be that close to him all holidays and not touch him?” Buffy smiled softly at her friend.

“How about this? I will do my best to distract your brother and get him out of the house so you can,” she let out cough. “Or you and Xander can go out of the house. I’ll distract while you guys make with the TLC.”

“Oh my god! That would be awesome, I love you.” Cordy squealed, jumping up and down like an excited child, Buffy watched on in amusement.

“Your welcome.”

Cordy hugged her tight and turned towards the door. “Come on, I’ll introduce you to my brother, you’re going to love him.”

“I’ll be there in a sec just going to the bathroom. I must look like a mess,” Buffy wiped the tears from her cheeks, trying to not smudge her makeup. Cordy smiled, bouncing down the stairs

“Will!” she smiled, jumping into her brothers open arms and hugging him tight.

“I have asked you repeatedly to call me Spike.” He hugged her back.

“And I have told you repeatedly that was never gonna happen.” Cordy smiled, turning to look at Xander who was laughing at them.

“Shut up, Harris.” Spike snapped, which only made Xander laugh more.

“Good to see you again, Xander.” Cordy smiled, hugging him for longer than she should have. She wanted more than anything to kiss him long, hard and deep but she knew she couldn’t. Instead she settled for breathing in his cologne before she finally stepped back.

“So,” Spike drawled out. “Who’s this friend of yours that’s going to be staying over the holidays? Mom said her name was Elizabeth.”

“Yeah, she’s my best friend and we go to school together.”

“I suppose she’s a cheerleader too.”

“As a matter of fact, yes.” Cordy smiled. “Elizabeth isn’t just some ditz with pom poms. She’s very smart and she has been a really good friend to me over the years so please,” she met his eyes. “be nice to her.”

“I’ll be on my bestest behaviour… I promise.” He smirked as Cordy narrowed her eyes.

Buffy headed down stair quietly, not wanting to interrupt their conversation. Xander and who she assumed was Cordelia’s brother, were off to the side placing their jackets on their holders. When she reached Cordy she tapped her on the shoulder, only seeing the back of William as he hung up his jacket.

“Oh hey, you. William this is Elizabeth but she likes Buffy for short. Buffy, this is my brother William.”

Spike turned around, his eyes widening in shock at who stood before him. As soon as theirs eyes met Buffy though she was going to fall over. William was Spike.

Oh fuck!

Spike was who she’d met at Caritas in L.A. two months ago. It was Spike who she’d told she was twenty one years old right before they slept together.

Spike was Cordy’s older, over protective brother? She was a dead woman.

“It’s nice to meet you … William.” Buffy all but whispered, hoping, praying that he would play along as she stretched out her arm offering her hand.

“You too, Elizabeth.” Spike nodded, his mind running a mile a minute. Deciding it was best to play along in front of his sister he took her hand and gave it a shake before letting it go.

Cordy wondered for a moment if they knew each other but thought better of it. William had never visited them in Sunnydale before, they had always gone to him in L.A. and Buffy had lived her whole life here in quiet little Sunnydale. With a smile she shook the ridicules thought from her mind and picked up her brothers bags from the floor.

“Yeah okay, you guys are so weird, Xander would you help me up stairs with William’s bags?”

“Sure,” Xander smiled, thankful that they would finally get a moment alone together. Buffy wanted to scream out to Cordy to not leave her alone but when she watched them race up the stairs she knew it was too late.

“Elizabeth?” Spike whispered, Buffy looked up and met his eyes.

“Elizabeth Buffy Summers but I go by Buffy… Spike?”

“It’s a nick name I picked up in high school, I prefer it.” Buffy nodded and quickly glanced down, unsure of what to say or do.

“You told me you were twenty one… How old are you?”

Buffy swallowed hard before answering honestly.

“seventeen… as of six weeks ago”

“Oh my god!” Spike whispered, eyes widening as he ran a hand through his hair. “That means when we… you where sixteen years old?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know what kind of trouble I could get into? You were a child, you still are!” he whispered harshly.

“I’m not some dumb kid and I’m not a child, not even close! I’m sorry I lied to you but I was in a club,” she met his eyes, starting to get angry. “I wasn’t going to admit to a stranger that I was only sixteen.. I never meant for us to sleep together, it just happened.”

“It can never happen again.”

Buffy felt her heart break, she had dreamed about this man for the past two months. She’d spent hours remembering every detail from their night together and wondering if things might have been different if she had stayed that morning instead of leaving but now she was glad she hadn’t.

“What makes you think I want anything to happen again,” growled, her chest rising and falling with each breath.

“What happened between us was a one time thing. It shouldn’t have happened at all. I know that and its not like I go around doing that all the time… actually I never have,” she knew she was lying to him but she desperately wanted him to believe her not wanting to show her hurt.

Spikes head shot up, not sure if he could be shocked any more.

“You mean you where a virgin?”

“What? No… “ Buffy’s eyes widened. “I just meant that I’ve never had a one night stand before.” Spike sighed in relief.

“Fine, then we agree we’ll never mention it again.” Buffy nodded in agreement.

“Good, it was just a mistake.” Spike whispered, swiftly turning around and walking up the stairs.

Buffy felt her heart break, she had wanted to tell him it hadn’t been a mistake and that it was real and honest. It had been more real and honest then anything she had ever had before… Instead she said nothing, she was in love with him and he thought of their time together as a mistake. Buffy let a tear slip from her eye, quickly wiping it away before making her way to her room.

Spike walked into his old room, closing the door behind him and letting out a deep breath. His bags lay on his bed and he assumed Xander was in the other guest room unpacking. He took in a few deep breaths and tried to calm himself, his heart beating erratically. He’d spent two whole months looking for Buffy, he’d spent two months asking around the college trying to see if anyone knew her and now here she was, in his house and he couldn’t have her.

“It was a mistake,” he kept telling himself, desperately trying to convince himself that he wasn’t in love with her, that she was just another one night stand.

But she wasn’t.

She was only seventeen years old and because of that she was completely off limits. It was true that he was only five years older than her but his time with Drusilla had taught him a valuable lesson. Get what you need and get out…

Never date anyone older or younger then you are, it only leads to disaster.


Chapter End Notes:
So?? any good?? let me know what you think, feed my muse : )